Author Topic: NH police chief gets killed in a drug raid 8 days before retiring  (Read 292 times)

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
This is sad, this police chief was killed during a drug raid in Greenland New Hampshire 8 days before his retirement. Four other officers were also shot during the raid. I went to high school with the sister of one of the officers who was shot.

http://www.wmur.com/news/30885030/detail.html

GREENLAND, N.H. --The body of a man suspected of killing Greenland’s police chief and wounding four other officers was found dead inside his home early Friday morning, police said.

Cullen Mutrie, 29, a former volunteer firefighter in Hampton Falls, lived at 517 Post Road where the officers were shot. Mutrie was found dead from gunshot wounds after a tactical robot was sent into the home at 2 a.m. A female acquaintance, who has not been identified, was also found dead, possibly from a double suicide or murder-suicide, said Attorney General Michael Delaney.Greenland Police Chief Michael Maloney, 48, was with the department for 12 years. He was set to retire in one week. According to a town selectman, last week Maloney told the Board of Selectmen he had one more thing to do before retirement: "Nail Cullen Mutrie."

Delaney said Maloney was shot in the head and killed while serving a drug-related warrant.

Maloney and four officers from the Attorney General’s drug task force arrived at the home at about 6 p.m. when Mutrie opened fire.Attorney General Michael Delaney released information about the other four officers who were injured:
 --Detective Gregory Turner, 32, a six-year veteran of the Dover Police Department, was treated and released after gunshot wound to the shoulder.
 --Detective Eric Kulberg, 31, of seven-year veteran of the University of New Hampshire police, was treated and released after a gunshot wound to the arm.
  --Detective Scott Kukesh, 33, a 10-year veteran with the Newmarket Police Department, was in stable condition with a bullet wound to the chest.
 --Detective Jeremiah Murphy, 34, a seven-year veteran of the Rochester Police Department, was in stable condition after surgery for a gunshot wound to chest.

The two detectives who remained in intensive care after being shot in the chest were both wearing bulletproof vests, according to an official with knowledge of the investigation who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing.Tammy Hardy, who lives across street from the home, said officers were negotiating with the alleged gunman after the shooting."I just got home with my children, and I heard some popping sound," Hardy said. "I noticed four officers running from the house, and I saw three of them fall to the ground. It started to become such a crazy scene.""They just kept shooting and shooting. There was a lot of gunfire," another witness said. "They were being defensive in their position. I could not tell where the gunshot fire was coming from. It was just, 'Pop. Pop. Pop.' It was crazy."

A witness named Bill said he was driving by the home when he heard gunfire.“There were a lot of cars on the front lawn and I noticed one of them was a Greenland police cruiser, so it caught my attention and I slowed down a little bit,” he said. “I saw, I don’t know, five or six police officers on the porch, and they're all looking in the window, and all of a sudden, things went crazy.”Gov. John Lynch went to Portsmouth Regional Hospital to meet with the families of the officers involved"This is a terrible tragedy. I offer my deepest sympathies to the family of the officer who was killed. I ask everyone in New Hampshire to continue to pray for the recovery of the other officers involved and their families," Lynch said.

The shooting happened at a home in a residential area. Police urged residents within a half-mile zone to evacuate.A WMUR search of Mutrie’s court records shows a violent criminal history prior to Thursday evening’s shooting.In 2003, a woman was granted a protective order against him after claims of abuse. Court documents from Nov. 10, 2006, indicate Mutrie was charged with two counts of simple assault for punching a man in the face and head at a Portsmouth restaurant. Mutrie was found guilty of disorderly conduct and was ordered to have no contact with the victim.Another woman was granted an order of protection in 2010. When police went to his home to serve the order, they found steroids, according to court documents. He was charged with possession of a controlled drug and simple assault.Hampton Falls Fire Chief Jay Lord said Mutrie was a volunteer firefighter from 2004 to July 2010. He said Mutrie was nice and polite and dreamed of a career in the fire service."This is not the Cullen that we know," said Hampton Falls Fire Chief Jay Lord. "People go the wrong direction, and that's what happened to Cullen."Lord said Mutrie left the department on good terms to pursue paramedic school. Lord hadn't spoken to Mutrie since November 2010, and at that time, Mutrie was working construction.

Greenland is a small seacoast town of about 3,500 residents, just west of Portsmouth.Tara Laurent was sworn in as the new Greenland police chief Thursday night.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline yellowtail3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
Re: NH police chief gets killed in a drug raid 8 days before retiring
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 01:28:18 PM »
War on (some) Drugs is a damned waste of lives, treasure, and freedoms. End it.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 02:15:41 PM »
+1

Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 04:16:47 PM »
+1

I agree. I guess the killer in this case was dealing steroids. It's completely senseless that a good man is dead over steroids.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783