Author Topic: primer question  (Read 421 times)

Offline troy5775

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
primer question
« on: April 14, 2012, 07:36:34 AM »
I have seen on another post where a member was using small rifle primers in their 357 max handi rifles. Would this be allowable in 357 mag loads as well if they are being used only for the handi rifle?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: primer question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 08:05:04 AM »
Lots of folks use SR primers in the Maxi with no problems to eliminate pierced or cratered primers,  mainly due to the larger firing pin on shotgun frames, I'd recommend following the 257 Mag load data primer recommendation first and only changing if there's a problem, sometimes just changing primer mfr will make a difference, not all primers are made the same, as you can see the cup thickness varies a lot between mfrs of SR primers. When changing primers, be sure to drop back on the powder charge some and work the load up as opposed to just changing the primer with an existing load, specially if the load is mid to near max.  ;)

OTOH, some data recommends the opposite,  SP primers are commonly recommended in the Hornet for example.

Tim

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline troy5775

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 03:55:17 PM »
The SB1 frame has been rough on my 357 and 38 primers. I load mainly for my rifles. There is a local shop that has a large amount of small rifle primers marked down. (the only reloading supplies he has left)  Was wonder how they would work for my handi rifle loads.

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (82)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 06:47:44 PM »
I have seen on another post where a member was using small rifle primers in their 357 max handi rifles. Would this be allowable in 357 mag loads as well if they are being used only for the handi rifle?
All of my reloading manuals state that 357 Maximum should be loaded with small rifle primers not pistol primers. I have used small pistol primers for light loads with trail boss, but that is the exception to the rule for me. ;)

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 05:00:58 AM »
When ever you go from a "standard" primer to a hotter one, you need to start load development from the beginning (low) and work your way up. I have found that when using Small pistol primers in a 22 Hornet that you can use more of a powder than you can if you use a small rifle primer. Using a magnum primer over a regular primer calls for less powder too. I tried magnum small pistol in a 22 Hornet and had to back off the powder charge. Bottom line - if your firearm will make a good dent in a rifle primer and reliably set it off, then using a small rifle primer is OK. Back off the powder and work your way up slowly and carefully, because you are going to get higher pressures with them

Good luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 05:36:09 AM »
Follow the load recommendations above, but buy em if the price is right, they are never going to get any cheaper and you can always use them for trading stock, etc. (better than money in the bank?).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974