Author Topic: Perfect deer caliber  (Read 9396 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Perfect deer caliber
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2013, 09:57:33 AM »
antelope are just deer with speed and more lungs  ;)  so definitely get a faster lighter set up for them (240 Weatherby class maybe  ;D ;D )
I like your thinking, I don't tend to think about Weatherby much.
save $$$$$$$$$$$ think 2506 rem ;)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline bart1533

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2013, 02:11:58 PM »
Here on Indiana we got some crazy laws.....my favorite right now has been my 500 s&w....but got me 358 for this up coming year...so will give it a try and see what happens....

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2013, 04:50:24 PM »
I have about a dozen deer rifles at present, which is 11 more than I need.  I tend to use one or two each season.  I make my selection before each hunt based on the scope on a particular rifle (hunting close in woods or long over fields) rather than the caliber..
Lately I've migrated toward Model 7 Remingtons because they are compact, easy to use in a box stand, lightweight, and as accurate as my 700s.

Offline scootrd

« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2013, 12:00:05 PM »
I have about a dozen deer rifles at present, which is 11 more than I need.  I tend to use one or two each season.  I make my selection before each hunt based on the scope on a particular rifle (hunting close in woods or long over fields) rather than the caliber..
Lately I've migrated toward Model 7 Remingtons because they are compact, easy to use in a box stand, lightweight, and as accurate as my 700s.

Pair that mod 7 with a 7mm-08 cartridge and I say darn neer perfect for deer.

Everyone has a so called favorite,  and that would be mine!!!

Semper Fi
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2013, 12:08:57 PM »
I have had two different hunting leases over the past 10 yrs in Jawja.    My Middle Jawja lease was thick piney woods with lots of elevation change.    Never a shot over 125 yds, and most under 70.   The perfect rifle for deer there was my 44 mag Ruger carbine.   Harvested dozens over the years with that lightweight, easy carry, little gun.     

Now I am down in Sou' Jawja in very flat, wet Piney woods at the head of the Okefenokee.    Shots can range from 20 yds up to 300+ yds.      The longest shot taking game has been about 275 yds.  Also there is a very real chance of encountering a hog or five up to 250+ lbs, or a black bear.   My favorite deer rifle now is my Ruger American in 3006.   It is light, extremely accurate and I find the factory recoil pad mitigates the recoil much better than the Pachmayr Decelerator on my Remy 760 carbine in the same caliber.   The 760 was my go to gun until the Ruger Am.Rifle entered my life.   With 180 grain Federal Fusions I have been able to harvest 4 deer (bang/flop) and dozens of pigs/hogs over the past two years.   It carries much easier than the 760 and is quite a bit more accurate (the trigger I believe).   

So in summary I think it depends on where you are hunting as to the perfect deer caliber. 
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)