Author Topic: Old time target scope................ Tasco #707 16x magnification  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
I believe that perhaps most would think of Unertl or Fecker for this type of scope but back in the late 60's and during the 1970's Tasco made the model #707 target scope. Now I own three rifles that have the barrel drilled for the forward mount for just such a scope but when they come up for sale are usually out of my pockets reach.

However the other week this Tasco, possibly the least desirable of this type of scope but!!, came up at a price I could just stretch too so I brought it:-

Methinks it will go well on this one:-

Which is set up for just such a scope. There is also the BSA 12/15 Martini small bore target rifle and the P-H 1200V that has the holes drilled in the barrel (factory) for a forwards mounting block.

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Old time target scope................ Tasco #707 16x magnification
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 04:58:07 AM »
Sucker looks like a Unertl! I didn't know that Tasco ever made a target scope like that. If you don't mind, what did that cost you?
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:01:45 PM »
Hi Don,

No I don't mind at all, but do bear in mind that everythign, well almost everything, costs more here in the UK than it would do in the US of A.

I brought it on e-bay UK and the winning bid was £124.79 ($198.71USD) with £12.00 ($19.11 USD) shipping. Boxed its a big scope and the postage was not cheap as I had to send it back as the mounts were damaged the vendor had a word with the person giving up shooting and he had some replacement mounts which are not fitted.

Perhaps one day I can acquire a nice Unertl, Fecker or Lyman Target Spot  ;)  but they do fetch an awful lot. Parker-Hale had a Target Spot scope made for them and they do come up occasionally and in fact a few months ago a really nice one came up but it went for well over double what I paid for this Tasco. A boxed Lyman I watched went for £407 ($648.09 USD).

Oh I did the exchange rates on Expedia converter so they should be up to date.

Offline AWS

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 03:30:09 AM »
Tey made a 6x18 variable target scope just like the one you pictured.  Right about 1980 I purchased one and mounted it on my 1903 Springfield target rifle.  Never had any problems with it.  One of my buddies in the Guard needed a target rifle and I sold it to him.
Saw one on ebay in 12x the otherday wish I would have bid on it.