Author Topic: Superlight 223 Compact  (Read 2101 times)

Offline LilHog

• Trade Count: (0)
Superlight 223 Compact
« on: April 21, 2012, 12:31:21 PM »
I'm interested in buying one of these, it's the model SB2-SY3. Anyone have one that they can tell me about. I basically want it for general range and plinking use, I own several other handi's but none in 223. The dimensions of the rifle seem pretty compact, it's ok as that works for me. Just wondering what kind of  accuracy I can expect with brass 55g ammo and your likes and dislikes with the rifle in general.

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
Re: Superlight 223 Compact
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 12:37:24 PM »
Hog,

I cannot speak to the exact model your asking of, but I can tell you that since the action is so short, Handi's tend to be very compact.  I can grip the chamber area perfectly for carrying one.

Very endearing, those qualities.

Cat

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 02:16:51 PM »
I can't tell you about the .223, but my wife and I have Superlight 7mm-08s.  We love them.  They're accurate, light and compact.  People here talk about the light contour barrels heating up and accuracy going downhill.  We haven't experienced that for two reasons.  First we got them last Fall and have only shot them in cold weather.  Secondly, we never shot a series of rounds in fairly rapid succession.  We'd take a shot, check the target, adjust the scope, etc.  Hunting, we'll never have to worry about a hot barrel.  My .223 is a standard contour and shoots well.

Good luck if you buy it.  I think you'll like it.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 02:45:12 PM »

Hey Lilhog:
  I've been thinking about buying a superlight 223. I have a 223 with the standard bbl and it shoots great.
  I have a superlight youth in 243 and I really like it. The bbl. does heat up pretty quickly but thats OK as I do not intend to use it for target shooting. It shoots very well, 5 shots into  4inches at 100 yds. with the iron sights and factory rounds, I really like the balance and weight, a joy to carry and shoot.
  I probably will not scope it. I like it so good that I want a 223 in the youth with supperlight bbl.
  Just my opinion
  HM

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 03:08:43 PM »
  I have a superlight .243.. it shoots well, and yes, it does start to heat up after about 3 shots in warm weather, but doesn't stray too bad.  No problem though, I only shoot that many rounds while sighting in.  This season will be my first time with it for big game.  I have never used more than 2 shots on any deer I ever shot..and most only took one shot, so I anticipate no problems for deer or black bear.
   I will be loading some of each.. Nosler partitions in 100 gr..and Hornady interlocks in 100 gr.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline LilHog

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 12:20:28 AM »
Thanks for all the replies and comments. I think maybe I should go with the heavier barrel and stay away from the sporter barrel due to the heat up issues. I never really gave it much thought, but for my intended purpose I think a heavy barrel would work best. I want to be able to shoot a few rounds every few minutes and not worry too much. Walmart near me carries one model in 223, and I never really noticed what barrel is on it though. Guess I have to go and take a better look. Thanks for all your comments.

Offline Flynmoose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 06:57:07 PM »
I had the barrel on my standard Handi 223 bobbed to 16 1/2". It is very compact and easy to carry.
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline ratdog

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 11:16:02 PM »
i would like to chop the barrel on ultralight.done one on the standard handy barrel. i have been thinking about chopping my 44 mag it doesn't need that long of barrel. ;D

Offline clearwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 07:46:39 AM »
I'm interested in buying one of these, it's the model SB2-SY3. Anyone have one that they can tell me about. I basically want it for general range and plinking use, I own several other handi's but none in 223. The dimensions of the rifle seem pretty compact, it's ok as that works for me. Just wondering what kind of  accuracy I can expect with brass 55g ammo and your likes and dislikes with the rifle in general.

I sent my action in to have NEF fit one. The fit was very sloppy and I couldn't get it to shoot better that 5 moa even with careful
handloads and match bullets. The same action give good accuracy with other barrels.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 08:01:42 AM »
I have several H&R Superlights, they all shoot fine for a hunting rifle, I wouldn't choose a Superlight for prairie dogs tho where you'd be shooting mutiple shots in a short time, but for a nice light hunting/carry rifle where you're only shooting a shot or two at a time, they work excellent. Once the barrel heats up, count on groups opening up.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 09:57:22 AM »

I have one in .223 and I like it a lot. In fact it has earned it's self a name. I don't name all my guns. It's really just something my son and I kind of did by accident, but we do refer to it s "Dinky."

The only complaint I have is that with the stock synthetic stock I can't get my fat cheeks down far enough to be able to use the iron sights. I will tell you this though I was out shooting it across the hood of the truck one day and I had 2 rounds going into a 1" group using 55 grain Remingtons. My son was shooting some 77 grain Black Hills ammo in his AR. On a whim I said, hey let me see one of those. I put the 3rd round into the group with the 77 grain stuff and ended up with a 1.25" group at right around 100 yards.
  I was kind of impressed that it would put two different weights to the same POA.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 10:03:34 AM »
I have been looking for a light barrel .223, cuz I am getting old and have to walk to kill coyotes.  The last I heard the light .223 barrel was inaccurate. 
I have see that you guys reference an ultra light barrel, I have a .223 bull, how much lighter would it be?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 10:10:27 AM »
The Superlight is about a pound lighter than a standard contour 22", prolly close to a 1½ lbs lighter than a bull barrel. My 6x45(rebored 223) Superlight barrel weighs 2lbs-13oz.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 02:14:01 PM »
any other accuracy results with tha .223 superlite ??
hey, tha worse its mentioned, is pave'n tha road to excellence for me................. ;D
i know all bout barrel heat ::)  i don't need no explain'n.
 i jus threw down on one from tha BAP.... an can't wait ta maker shoot my style 8)
its come'n your way brian !!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 02:38:44 PM »
The 223 Superlite was my first Handi centerfire. I like it very much. Not sure about the best group but it seems to hit pretty much what I point it at. It's prolly a 1:12 ejecter clean barrel. A friend was sighting in his 44 Ruger bolt one day and I leaned against my BBQ grill and started popping things at 150 yds. He said " that little gun shoots that good" ;D  I keep it with me. I shot a coyote @ 100 yds at night and another @ 200yds with it. I had a Burris FF and just changed to the 4.5-14 Timberline to make it a bit smaller. I changed to the non m.c. stock for the smaller scope. It's prolly the last one I'd part with. I just set up it's sister in 22 Hornet with a 2-7 Leupold with dots 8)

LilHog, You'd prolly like the HB for what you want to do. The standard barrel would be a good one too. I have all three and like them all. The SL is great to carry and quick.

gendoc, I think you'll be able to make it shoot. Almost grabbed your 243 :-\ ::)

I mostly shoot 36 gr Varmint Grenades and am reducing some with 30 gr V.Gs

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 05:56:29 AM »
My Superlight barrel in 223 is a pretty good shooter, three shots into just over an inch at 100 yards with any bullet under 60grs. excepting the cheap steel cased stuff but even that with 55 gr. bullets is plenty good enough for most work.  It's real work is being on chicken watch to keep the local feral dog population in check.  Using 14.5 grs. of IMR 4227 under a 45 gr. Speer RN Hornet bullet and this is a real tackdriver. Haven't hit a dog with it yet but you can bet soon it will happen, lost one of my Americanna hens last week.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline gendoc

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 07:38:10 AM »
My Superlight barrel in 223 is a pretty good shooter,  Haven't hit a dog with it yet but you can bet soon it will happen, lost one of my Americanna hens last week.
dang rick, i hope ya get eva dog that even looks like it'll eat one them prize hens !!!!!!!! >:(
i know whatcha go'in thru......adamn fox got in my turkey pen coupla weeks back and got 9 babies !!!
i wasa so upset, i baited them SOB's for 3 nites.... then kilt eva thang that moved in tha yard tha next night ;D ;D ;D 8)  3 fox, 1 kiyot, 1 bobby ana 6-pac ;)
but i gotta confess.... i did'nt use a handi for that crime........... :o
sea-ya.....

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 08:27:24 AM »
I've had it too. I am going to set up a deer feeder throwing dog food in front of my backstop and shoot every stray dog, coyote, raccoon or whatever that shows up till I get their numbers down.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline gendoc

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 08:46:30 AM »
i hear ya man !!!!!!!!!! have fun an get'um all................. ;D
sea-ya.....