Author Topic: Those evil oil companies..  (Read 1188 times)

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Those evil oil companies..
« on: April 22, 2012, 11:55:35 PM »
  B. Hussein's battle cry "TAX BIG OIL"....   
  Big oil is already taxed more than other corps in this United States..now the home of the highest corporate taxes in the world..thanks to the boy-king.  See Forbes article below, esp 3rd paragraph;

http://money.msn.com/investment-advice/the-12-highest-corporate-tax-bills

Besides folks, if you jump in with the liberation-theology guy, and you think taxing "big oil" even more is the answer...

...Can you hear the sound of $6.00 a gallon gas gurgling into your Ram pickup ?  I guess Obammy figures you guys who can afford a Ram..can afford to "spread your wealth around".

" WORK HARDER, THE FOLKS ON WELFARE ARE DEPENDING UPON YOU ".
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Re: Those evil oil companies..
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:07:50 AM »
 Aren't these the same companies that obtain, process and distribute substances we can't live without in a modern world?

"Evil" would be to make these substances more expensive via taxing the suppliers.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 01:17:13 AM »
  Right on Victor;  he demonizes the oil companies and taxes them even more..
    So who ends up paying the higher taxes ?  Of course, Obama's energy secretary has alrerady said he wants gas to be $10.00 per gallon !

.....It kinda makes you wonder just how long it takes some folks to "catch on" doesn't it !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Shu

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 01:44:56 AM »
Tax big oil! Tax big oil until it hurts bad! Make them bleed! Big oil needs to hurt bad!

Then you can wonder why farms stop producing. You can wonder why food prices have skyrocketed. You can then blame Bush and those gosh darn republicans.

The way of Obama-do something stupid and blame a conservative.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 01:53:48 AM »
As long as there's jet fuel to fly him and Michelle and the girls to another vacation spot, he doesn't care. Does the saying''Let them eat cake'', come to mind. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 02:27:50 AM »
Exxon-Mobil pays ZERO USA income taxes.  So do many other big and small oil companies.  $0.00.  It's due to a "depletion allowance" installed wayyyyyyy back when oil was $2 to $4 a barrel.  Now it's circa $100 a barrel and they STILL get the depletion allowance.  Anyone who thinks that's fair should visit the grave of John D Rockefeller and take him some flowers.  Be sure to tell him you enjoy paying more taxes so his descendents can pay less to none.   And, NO, ending or drastically lowering the depletion allowance would have NO effect on gasoline prices.  Crude oil prices are based on world markets. Gasoline prices are based on crude oil prices.   And, yes, they pay LOTS of taxes.  The property taxes on a 1,000 barrel per day oil well plus the associated pipelines are a lot of money.  But so are the property taxes on EVERY business's equipment. 

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 04:05:40 AM »
Exxon-Mobil pays ZERO USA income taxes.  So do many other big and small oil companies.  $0.00.  It's due to a "depletion allowance" installed wayyyyyyy back when oil was $2 to $4 a barrel.  Now it's circa $100 a barrel and they STILL get the depletion allowance.  Anyone who thinks that's fair should visit the grave of John D Rockefeller and take him some flowers.  Be sure to tell him you enjoy paying more taxes so his descendents can pay less to none.   And, NO, ending or drastically lowering the depletion allowance would have NO effect on gasoline prices.  Crude oil prices are based on world markets. Gasoline prices are based on crude oil prices.   And, yes, they pay LOTS of taxes.  The property taxes on a 1,000 barrel per day oil well plus the associated pipelines are a lot of money.  But so are the property taxes on EVERY business's equipment.

JUNIOR:

It's about time you started to read the facts and quit listening to the "spin".  I provided a link for you from a financial publication...rather than a propaganda sheet from the DNC...Here's what it says:
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"(Members of Congress) can stand with big oil companies, or they can stand with the American people," the president said.
A majority of senators supported Obama's proposal, but the Republicans' threat of a filibuster meant the measure fell nine votes shy of the supermajority of 60 needed to become law. It's unlikely the senators spent much time poring over financial statements and annual reports, but if they had, they would have seen that each of the three largest oil companies paid more in income taxes last year than any other corporation in America.
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

I don't know if you drive or not, but try to restrain the hatred and envy the Marxists have pumped into you... 
  Try LOGIC rather than HATE... If taxes are raised on oil..they will need to be passed on to the buyer..   How much would you like prices to go up ?       Look in your supermarket..things which cost $2.50 when Obama took office , are closer to $4.00 now.  The food has to be grown, processed and transported, all of which takes fuel & power.  Same goes for manufactured goods and services.
     How much will you be happy to pay for gasoline...$5, $6...$8 ?  Obama's energy secretary says he would like you to pay $10, would you be pleased if he achieves his goals ?

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 08:17:27 AM »
".....they would have seen that each of the three largest oil companies paid more in income taxes last year than any other corporation in America."
You're the one listening to spin. USA income taxes = zero.  They paid Nigeria, etc., income taxes but not one cent in USA income taxes due to John D.  Rockefeller's oil depletion allowance.  Exxon-Mobil's weekly profit is $1,000,000,000 from which is paid $0 in USA income tax.
Please use your spin key and find how USA companies owning USA oil wells and having to finally pay income tax on their oil production can affect the price Russia and Saudi Arabia charge for crude oil.
Perhaps we should give coal, gold and silver miners a depletion allowance.  Loggers, too.  Farmers could use it, too.  Cows, for example, only produce so much milk. 

Offline Rol Page

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 08:39:41 AM »
It's pretty clear to me that Obama is pushing gas prices higher to make his green energy companies more competitive, so they can be given more govt. grants, (OUR TAX DOLLARS).  Just coincidentally the green companies are populated by directors who are heavy Democratic contributors, if not family of Democratic officials, who then go bankrupt, taking our tax money with them.....  So much for us little guys getting a fair shake.
NRA and NYS Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 02:02:13 PM »
   ...And now he wants to tax your 401Ks...

SPEND, SPEND, SPEND and TAX, TAX, TAX...that's all that guy knows...

CBS even admits he wants to rob us: 
  http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505146_162-38740927/obama-wants-to-steal-your-401k-and-why-you-should-be-glad/

He and the Democrats want to take EVERYONE'S 401K and mix it in with the UNION retirement funds which the UNIONS give to Democrat campaigns.  That way the Dems get funded and the UNION thugs retire on the REAL working people's earned retirement..  http://www.redstate.com/jeffdunetz/2010/05/12/unions-covet-your-401k-obama-wants-to-oblige/

Are there CROOKS in DC ?  THEY HAVE TO GO !!!

Offline crustylicious

• A Real Regular
  • Reading is fundamental, comprehension optional!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and the wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell
"The speaking in perpetual hyperbole is comely in nothing but love" Francis Bacon, Sr.
Voting is like driving a car- choose (D) to go forward- choose (R) to go backwards!
When all think alike, no one thinks very much. Albert Einstein

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 02:32:45 PM »
How much do oil companies really pay in taxes?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/how-much-do-oil-companies-really-pay-in-taxes/2011/05/11/AF7UNutG_story_1.html

So again !  How much more do YOU want to pay for gasoline..$6, $8 or $10 ?

He's put us in debt, now he's starting on our kids and grandkids..  When are you finally going to be ready to tell this crazy kid with OUR charge card...ENOUGH ALREADY ?

Is robbing everyone's 401K acceptable with you ?  Are you STILL drinking the Koolaid ?

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 01:43:26 AM »
This is nothing more than jealousy of peoples money.
an oil company involves more than a fat-cat CEO.
there's all the employees, but also THE STOCK HOLDERS to consider.  a democrat can't stand it for someone to be successful and not SHARE their wealth.
the reason I'm not a millionaire, is because either I'm not smart enough, or, I'm too lazy to work for it.  I sure don't covet someones money.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 02:29:25 AM »
I think most of us can agree that the tax structure we have is a joke. Lobbyists are paid big bucks to influence how the tax laws are written,making sure their clients have big loopholes and tax breaks. I don't know if oil companies have an unfair depletion allowance or not,but I do know the more taxes they pay the higher gas prices will be. If big oil pays more, will my taxes decrease? NO  If big oil pays more,will the government spend less? NO If big oil pays more,will they pass the increase to the consumer? YES   

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 03:02:05 AM »
Tax revenue has to be generated from somewhere. If I am correctly following the line of thought of most here no businesses should pay income tax because the cost will just be passed on in the way of higher prices. Okay, if business pay zero taxes where do we obtain revenue, would have to be higher taxes on the average Joe in some form. may be higher income tax rate, higher sales tax, higher property taxes, etc. I guess the question for the average Joe is do they get me coming or going?
GuzziJohn

Offline scootrd

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 03:13:06 AM »
It's pretty clear to me that Obama is pushing gas prices higher to make his green energy companies more competitive,

No president has any power to push oil prices higher. The prices are set on the world Market.

paying taxes or no taxes , the arguments can go round and round.
How about we just at least stop paying them 47 billion in tax subsidies.

Those who tout let free MKT decide xxxxx.......should not be apposed . they cannot have it both ways.
Live by the sword , die by the sword, all subsidies,  sugar, farm , oil etc .. should all be stopped.

Heck even the oil companies have publicly spoken in the past , they no longer need the the American tax payers monies outlayed through these subsidies.  Let 'em have their wish.

why wont that happen ? cause lobbyist have our Govt in their back pocket. 

Heck , I wish someone would pay me not to grow carrots this year ,, involves wayyy too much time weeding.
just give me a couple thousand to not grow and I  take up fishing.
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 03:42:46 AM »
Tax revenue has to be generated from somewhere. If I am correctly following the line of thought of most here no businesses should pay income tax because the cost will just be passed on in the way of higher prices. Okay, if business pay zero taxes where do we obtain revenue, would have to be higher taxes on the average Joe in some form. may be higher income tax rate, higher sales tax, higher property taxes, etc. I guess the question for the average Joe is do they get me coming or going?
GuzziJohn
0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

The Tea Party has the answer...SHRINK GOVERNMENT...then..STOP THE STUPID SPENDING  and QUIT REGULATING  firms out of business..
 THe feds would not need nearly so much tax if they would handle well what they do get.  Get rid of useless govt beaurocracy, cancel about half the government agencies.  Cut most "freebies" and allow what are left to be handled by local govt & people who know best what is needed and who needs it.  No more $1,000,000 Vegas parties for the GSA or any other govt agencies..and no more $200,000,000 vacations for the "first family".
  Don't  gamble with revenues.. betting on such things as Solyndra, battery companies, solar fields or electric cars..all of which they have lost tax monies in bets govt officials put down....using OUR money..

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 04:00:19 AM »
It's pretty clear to me that Obama is pushing gas prices higher to make his green energy companies more competitive,

No president has any power to push oil prices higher.  But they can help keep prices down..
The prices are set on the world Market. If we use our own oil, we could keep more of our money at home..and send less to terrorist sponsoring states.

paying taxes or no taxes , the arguments can go round and round. Not if govt were frugal and used funds wisely.
How about we just at least stop paying them 47 billion in tax subsidies. We aren't "paying" them anything.
Those who tout let free MKT decide xxxxx.......should not be apposed . they cannot have it both ways.  ?????
Live by the sword , die by the sword, all subsidies,  sugar, farm , oil etc .. should all be stopped. OK: so long as you don't mind occcasional shortages in fooodstuffs which may last 3-4 years
Heck even the oil companies have publicly spoken in the past , they no longer need the the American tax payers monies outlayed through these subsidies.  Let 'em have their wish. Not "subsidies" but tax breaks; I bet they would gladly wave bye-bye to the tax breaks if the EPA and other govt leeches climbed off their backs.

why wont that happen ? cause lobbyist have our Govt in their back pocket. And Obammy is the biggest lobbyist pal of all.

Heck , I wish someone would pay me not to grow carrots this year ,, involves wayyy too much time weeding.  How about the billions of dollars paid to people for refusing to work at all..even to the point of being a multi-generational thing?
just give me a couple thousand to not grow and I  take up fishing.  Millions are already doing it..perhaps a few fish, but it's highly likely they more often are boozing and smoking dope.
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Shrink government back to what the constitution calls for, cut at least 2/3 of the useless agencies and programs and make government employees remaining EARN their wages.

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 04:03:31 AM »
The Feds already collect $400 billion a year in per gallon gasoline tax.  They only use $200 billion on highways and infrastructure.  The rest is used in the "general fund". 

Lets get some facts straight.  Obama wants to RAISE taxes and does not want to CUT ANY federal programs except military.

Republicans want to CUT spending and CUT taxes to stimulate the economy. 

The Boles-Simpson plan among other plans, calls for BOTH tax increases AND CUTS in federal spending. 

When Boehner went to Obama and offered to raise some taxes but CUT some spending.  Obama REFUSED. 

So it is FAR MORE Obama NOT wanting to cut spending than it is Republicans not wanting to raise taxes.

Apple computer makes far more profit than any oil company.  Oil companies put far more people to work than Apple.  Oh, Apple is liberal along with GE who also didn't pay any income tax.  Oil is use to make plastics, cosmetics, medicines, fertilizers, as well as fuel.  So tax them more, have them pass it along in higher costs. 

FLAT taxes are the only way to be FAIR to all.  Both individuals and corporations.  The VAT tax is probably the most fair, and you only pay it when you buy something.  An EXCISE VAT tax can be paid on luxury goods if you want to tax the rich a little more. 

Face it guys, the FED is TOO BIG.  It MUST be cut. 

It would be better to just give money to the states for welfare distribution than have the big federal bureaucracy's in place. 

It would be better to just give the money to the states to operate the education system instead of a big federal bureaucracy's.     

I know the state of Alabama cut costs on it's highway department.  They no longer do any real work on the highways, but just inspections.  Private contractors now do any grading, paving, storm drains or maintenance.  They do the work when the money is available.  Not a lot of workers to keep paying even if money is not available for projects.  Doesn't hurt either.  We were voted as having the second best roads in the nation, behind Georgia.  Fewer potholes etc. 

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 04:15:17 AM »
I don't know why it is so hard for some to grasp but "there is no such thing as a tax on big business". A corporation HAS to turn a profit or go out of business. If they can't pay a dividend to share holders they won't have any share holders. They have to make money over and above any tax. Raise the tax and they have to raise their prices to cover it. The final consumer pays ALL taxes on any product. The low down lying stinking low life politicians love to say "tax those big corporations" and the stupid sheeple say "right on brother" but a tax on corporations is just a hidden tax we all are forced to pay at the store or gas pump. When a politician says "tax the big guys" we all should shout LIAR!!
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline magooch

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 05:02:14 AM »
Getting back to the "depletion allowance" tax deduction, the reports I've seen, say that the big oil companies no longer use that deduction, but small exploration outfits absolutely depend on it.  That is right out of the mouths of Dumycrat legislators from Texas and Louisiana.  I for sure don't know where the truth lies; I can only assume that these Dumycrats are going against the rest of their party, because they know how their bread is buttered.
Swingem

Offline scootrd

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 05:03:48 AM »
No president has any power to push oil prices higher.  But they can help keep prices down..
 The prices are set on the world Market. If we use our own oil, we could keep more of our money at home..and send less to terrorist sponsoring states.  factually , Our domestic production is at the highest it has ever been

paying taxes or no taxes , the arguments can go round and round. Not if govt were frugal and used funds wisely.
How about we just at least stop paying them 47 billion in tax subsidies. We aren't "paying" them anything. True I should have said subsidies are an additional form of tax breaks. and we should stop it.
Those who tout let free MKT decide xxxxx.......should not be apposed . they cannot have it both ways.  ??? ??
Live by the sword , die by the sword, all subsidies,  sugar, farm , oil etc .. should all be stopped. OK: so long as you don't mind occcasional shortages in fooodstuffs which may last 3-4 years oh please the only ones that get rich are the producers who increase their profit margins.  subsidies in and of themselves do not regulate increases or decreases in production. they are kick backs plain and simple. Companies need to stop acting like de beres diamonds, Produce your product and sell it on open market like everyone else.
Heck even the oil companies have publicly spoken in the past , they no longer need the the American tax payers monies outlayed through these subsidies.  Let 'em have their wish. Not "subsidies" but tax breaks; I bet they would gladly wave bye-bye to the tax breaks if the EPA and other govt leeches climbed off their backs.  just remember everyone likes to bash EPA seems to be in vogue lately, but if it wasn't for EPA you wouldn't have clean drinking water, cleaner air , and non contaminated foods etc.. Their is a happy medium that can co-exist.

why wont that happen ? cause lobbyist have our Govt in their back pocket. And Obammy is the biggest lobbyist pal of all.   Just Not True , Senate      Republicans have taken $32,147,885 in contributions from the Big Oil      industry over the last two decades. All Republicans have accepted      $129,992,315 in this time. [Center for Responsive Politics, accessed 3/28/12]

Here are the money trends - http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/totals.php?ind=E01++

Heck , I wish someone would pay me not to grow carrots this year ,, involves wayyy too much time weeding.  How about the billions of dollars paid to people for refusing to work at all..even to the point of being a multi-generational thing?  - totally different subject stay on point , be happy to discuss in depth on another unemployment thread
just give me a couple thousand to not grow and I  take up fishing.  Millions are already doing it..perhaps a few fish, but it's highly likely they more often are boozing and smoking dope.Karl Rove fear tactics latest testing studies do not show this to be true. Red Herring. Again if you want to discuss more in depth lets take it to another  thread.

In florida study only 5 percent tested positive for drugs, lower than  the estimated 8 percent rate of drug use among all Florida residents. When Indiana started testing people applying for job training last year, less than 2 percent tested positive.
now while some surveys have shown that the unemployed use drugs at a higher  rate than the general population, people collecting unemployment benefits are a subset of the overall unemployed. in other words there is a difference between those unemployed , and those collecting unemployment. Higher drug use among those collecting Unemployment benefits vs general workforce population stats just don't pan out in latest studies. 
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 07:21:45 AM »
 The prices are set on the world Market. If we use our own oil, we could keep more of our money at home..and send less to terrorist sponsoring states.  factually , Our domestic production is at the highest it has ever been ...Pure spin..

How about we just at least stop paying them 47 billion in tax subsidies. We aren't "paying" them anything. True I should have said subsidies are an additional form of tax breaks. and we should stop it.  OK; and pay $7 per gal for gasoline..
Those who tout let free MKT decide xxxxx.......should not be apposed . they cannot have it both ways.  ??? ??  Still ??
Live by the sword , die by the sword, all subsidies,  sugar, farm , oil etc .. should all be stopped. OK: so long as you don't mind occcasional shortages in fooodstuffs which may last 3-4 years oh please the only ones that get rich are the producers who increase their profit margins.  subsidies in and of themselves do not regulate increases or decreases in production. they are kick backs plain and simple. Companies need to stop acting like de beres diamonds, Produce your product and sell it on open market like everyone else. Kick back? ...Do you mean like the "Cornhusker kickback" or the "Louisiana purchase" Obammy spent our money on to get his bogus healthcare bill passed ?  Not quite the same, those businessmen are not voting on a major bill !
Heck even the oil companies have publicly spoken in the past , they no longer need the the American tax payers monies outlayed through these subsidies.  Let 'em have their wish. Not "subsidies" but tax breaks; I bet they would gladly wave bye-bye to the tax breaks if the EPA and other govt leeches climbed off their backs.  just remember everyone likes to bash EPA seems to be in vogue lately, but if it wasn't for EPA you wouldn't have clean drinking water, cleaner air , and non contaminated foods etc.. Their is a happy medium that can co-exist.  Pure BS, ....they simply a socialist/Marxist tool for control and erosion of constitutional rights !

why wont that happen ? cause lobbyist have our Govt in their back pocket. And Obammy is the biggest lobbyist pal of all.   Just Not True , Senate      Republicans have taken $32,147,885 in contributions from the Big Oil      industry over the last two decades. All Republicans have accepted      $129,992,315 in this time. [Center for Responsive Politics, accessed 3/28/12]
  Obammy promised us that lobbyists would have no connection with his administration.  So, what happened ?  He has more than 40 former lobbiests working at high level in his administration:  http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/2010/02/obama-makes-mockery-his-own-lobbyist-ban/17568   Of course he promised the most "transparent" administration ever,, ;D   ;D   ;D

Here are the money trends - http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/totals.php?ind=E01++

Heck , I wish someone would pay me not to grow carrots this year ,, involves wayyy too much time weeding.  How about the billions of dollars paid to people for refusing to work at all..even to the point of being a multi-generational thing?  - totally different subject stay on point , be happy to discuss in depth on another unemployment thread  Wrong again; we're talking about useless govt expenditures (oil, food & carrots). You don't like "corporate welfare"..when compared to "social welfare", at least there's a return.
just give me a couple thousand to not grow and I  take up fishing.  Millions are already doing it..perhaps a few fish, but it's highly likely they more often are boozing and smoking dope.Karl Rove fear tactics latest testing studies do not show this to be true. Red Herring. Again if you want to discuss more in depth lets take it to another  thread.  Yes; let's take Carl Rove to another thread..but remember, I didn't bring him into this !

In florida study only 5 percent tested positive for drugs, lower than  the estimated 8 percent rate of drug use among all Florida residents. When Indiana started testing people applying for job training last year, less than 2 percent tested positive.
now while some surveys have shown that the unemployed use drugs at a higher  rate than the general population, people collecting unemployment benefits are a subset of the overall unemployed. in other words there is a difference between those unemployed , and those collecting unemployment. Higher drug use among those collecting Unemployment benefits vs general workforce population stats just don't pan out in latest studies. You are talking about the unemployed; I'm talking about those who refuse to be employed and often never have been employed...  Then there's the Government testing program; perhaps they only tested 2% !

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 07:23:32 AM »
Sheesh.  Can't you guys use normal quoting?

Offline scootrd

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 12:29:15 PM »
Sheesh.  Can't you guys use normal quoting?
Sorry Dukk,
I enjoy my sometimes debates with IG , and it was just kind of fun. Raining here today , guess I was just a little bored.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 02:47:29 PM »
Yep...yes, it was rather awkward...but I enjoy the give & take repartee also. ....And Scoot acquits himself well at that..

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 02:04:34 AM »
I don't know why it is so hard for some to grasp but "there is no such thing as a tax on big business". A corporation HAS to turn a profit or go out of business. If they can't pay a dividend to share holders they won't have any share holders. They have to make money over and above any tax. Raise the tax and they have to raise their prices to cover it. The final consumer pays ALL taxes on any product. The low down lying stinking low life politicians love to say "tax those big corporations" and the stupid sheeple say "right on brother" but a tax on corporations is just a hidden tax we all are forced to pay at the store or gas pump. When a politician says "tax the big guys" we all should shout LIAR!!

That's about the best one paragraph explanation I've ever read on the subject. Thanks.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 05:56:21 AM »

That's about the best one paragraph explanation I've ever read on the subject. Thanks.

It REALLY shouldn't be that hard to figure out..

I spoke to my local Mobil service owner about the tax on each gallon of gas.  He said the government gets a lot more "profit" from each gallon of gas than he and the oil co put together!
  Then he added..  "Of course, when the price per gallon goes up...so does the tax margin; but you don't hear the politicians  saying...freeze the taxes".

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 06:23:47 AM »
I can tell you a story or two about how natural gas is taxed.  First a drilling company drills it.  It is sold to a pipeline transmission company and taxed at sales.  Then sold to a distribution company and taxed again.  Then the distribution company sells it to the customer and it is taxed again.  This is just sales tax, not income tax.  In Alabama there is a "hidden" 4% sales tax on gas or electricity sold to a customer (you).  It is not shown on the bill.  Why?  Because when George Wallace had the sales tax added to utilities, he asked them not to list it in the bill for fear of an uproar and they would take the tax off. 

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 08:43:47 AM »
  Some older folks (like me) can recall when there were figures posted on gas pumps, telling just how the costs broke down wholesale price, taxes etc.  Years ago, the legislators voted these off the pumps..they couldn't afford to be honest !

Seems the only fair treatment and reasonable calculation we can get is with the individual, non-profit outfits that declare "tax freedom day".  That's all our taxes, subtracted from our yearly income.  Here in NY State that means we work until sometime in July...feeding govt leeches.  After that, we start earning our own money...

...And some Koolaiders here.... suggest we are not paying ENOUGH taxes.. :o   :P