Author Topic: Valedictorian facing deportation cool to rubios dream act, SHE WANTS MORE.  (Read 1329 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
http://www.yahoo.com/_ylt=AloEc9F4GfEyTfRSBhF_PpqbvZx4;_ylu=X3oDMTYwc2xtaDNnBGEDVmFsZWRpY3RvcmlhbiBmYWNpbmcgZGVwb3J0YXRpb24gY29vbCB0byBSdWJpbydzIERSRUFNIEFjdCByZWRvBGNjb2RlA3B6YnVhbGxjYWg1BGNwb3MDNARnA2lkLTIyMzgxNDcEaW50bAN1cwRtY29kZQNwemJ1YWxsY2FoNQRtcG9zAzIEcGtndAMyBHBvcwMxBHNlYwN0ZC1ud3MEc2xrA3RpdGxlBHRlc3QDNzAxBHdvZQMxMjc3NTE1MA--/SIG=147halank/EXP=1335303587/**http%3A//news.yahoo.com/valedictorian-facing-deportation-cool-rubios-dream-act-redo-155816695--abc-news-politics.html

Valedictorian Facing Deportation Cool to Rubio's DREAM Act RedoBy Arlette Saenz | ABC OTUS News – 5 hrs ago    Valedictorian Facing Deportation Cool to Rubio's DREAM Act Redo (ABC News)     Valedictorian Facing Deportation …   
As he starts to preview what his alternative to the DREAM Act will look like, Sen. Marco Rubio often mentions the story of Daniela Pelaez, an 18-year-old valedictorian and aspiring molecular biologist who faces deportation because she is undocumented, as an example for why such a plan needs to be developed.
But Pelaez, whose attendance at Dartmouth hinges on her ability to stay in the country, doesn't believe the sketch of Rubio's plan goes far enough.
In an interview with ABC News, Pelaez expressed displeasure with the glimpse Rubio has offered of his upcoming proposal, arguing that it is "wrong" for it to not provide a path to citizenship, but admitted it at least provides "baby steps" towards immigration reform.
"I'm not happy with Senator Rubio's position, that it doesn't lead to citizenship. I feel that would create a whole alternative inferior type of class of Americans," Pelaez told ABC News.  "It's bittersweet because it's a stepping stone in the right direction but it's going about it the wrong way."
"It's heartbreaking not just for myself but for everybody else who would have been applicable under it because we deserve so much better than that, but what can I do?" Pelaez later continued.  "I guess the only thing I could do is continue to tell my story and continue to raise awareness for it."
Pelaez came to the country from Colombia with her family at the age of 4 in 1999, but they overstayed their tourist visas.  While some of Pelaez's family left the country over the years, she remained along with her 26-year-old sister, Deyana.
Pelaez, who founded the Model UN chapter at her high school and is a member of the speech and debate team along with the math honor society, (banned site) Alpha Theta while maintaining a 6.7 GPA, will graduate as valedictorian from North Miami High in June and has received a full paid scholarship to Dartmouth University this fall.  A court ordered Pelaez and her sister be deported from the country, but in March, an immigration judge granted a two year deferment that allows her to stay in the country.  She is currently undergoing an appeal that will be decided in the next eight months to keep her in the country permanently.
Pelaez met with Rubio in early March to help him put a face to the issue troubling an estimated two million undocumented children and young adults in the country.
"Daniela grew up in our public schools, did everything that her teachers asked of her, did everything her community asked of her, did everything her family asked of her," Rubio said during an interview with National Journal at the Newseum Thursday.  "I looked at that and said well let me - if she was 6 foot 7 and could shoot a jumpshot, we're going to keep her, but if she's a molecular biologist in the future and a valedictorian we're going to deport her? It just doesn't make a lot of sense so what can we do to address people in her circumstance?"
Rubio, whose name is floated as a top vice presidential contender, is expected to present his alternative to the DREAM Act this summer, which would provide students like Daniela with non-immigrant visas to continue their studies in the United States while they also attempt to become citizen of this country.  The outline of Rubio's plan differs from the DREAM Act because it does not provide a guaranteed path to citizenship, something Rubio has adamantly stressed.
"All this does is award a non-immigrant visa to these kids who find themselves in this very difficult circumstance," Rubio said on CNN's State of the Union Sunday. "At some point in the future they would have no more or no less rights than anybody else in the world. They wouldn't be getting any preferential treatment; they'd be just like any other nonimmigrant visa holder who may decide to access the legal immigration system."
Pelaez has helped draft an alternative to the DREAM Act called the STARS Act (Studying Towards Adjusted Residence Status) with Rep. David Rivera, R-Fla., which would allow undocumented students to stay in the U.S. for ten years - five to complete college and additional five years upon graduation.  At the end of the ten years, the person could apply for full citizenship.
Pelaez said she hopes to see both parties embrace the legislation Rubio puts forward this summer and believes the Republican party needs to strive not to alienate Hispanic voters by refusing to accept such an act.
"I feel like there's been recent changes lately in the demographics and I feel like a lot of the younger called and the more liberal are going to be out there voting and it's going to look wrong if they don't try to be appealing for everybody," Pelaez said.
Pelaez spoke to ABC News while she waited to attend a barbeque hosted by the Dartmouth Democrats as she spent a weekend on the Ivy League campus ahead of her enrollment this fall.
"The irony of our political conversation that I'm waiting for the Democrats and barbeque to start."
Despite being of legal voting age, Pelaez is unable to vote since she is not a U.S. citizen, but she is still politically mindful, saying that though she would base her vote on the individual, not a party, in an Obama vs. Romney match-up, she'd side with Obama.  When asked if adding Rubio to the Republican ticket would sway her to vote for the GOP pair if she could, Pelaez answered "not really."
Also Read
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
Smart girls; we could use her kind here in America. I'm glad she's staying!
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Smart girls; we could use her kind here in America. I'm glad she's staying!

Sure enough..what are silly old laws for anyway... they not worth any more than the constitution..so  junk both of 'em..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline powderman

IG. Laws mean nothing to some folks. Lived here as a criminal 14 years, enjoying the perks while thumbing her nose at America and our laws. What part of illegal is so hard to understand?? Lock her up, ship her out. Invaders like her shame the millions who have come here legally. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline yellowtail3

Some folks are just plain uncharitable toward the young lady... no one here graduated at the top of their class, I'll guess?
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
I didn't make the Dean's list but I did make the legal list!  ;)
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline powderman

YEP. Breaking laws and disrespect come natural for some folks. Like she didn't know she was a criminal?? Darn right she did, ship her out. She has disrespected America long enough. POWDERMAN.  ::) ::)

Offline yellowtail3

How'd you manage to make the legal list, nomosendero? Let us in on your technique...

Offline nomosendero

How'd you manage to make the legal list, nomosendero? Let us in on your technique...

Being legal  ;D 

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
Depends upon what class..
  Top of my class in Tank training and top of my class on the rifle range..
  No dean's list..could have tried harder..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline yellowtail3

Being legal  ;D
Does that mean, in the context of the this topic, that you were born here?

I'll give the young lady a pass; no choice on where she was born. But she's here, she grew up here, she's American, she BRIGHT and capable... why would we want to force her from her home?

Offline guzzijohn

I bet given the chance she will contribute a whole lot more to the USA than she has taken. It would be a terrible waste to deport her. Just some more projecting from some here of that fine "Christian" attitude of "I got mine, screw you". At times humanity has to come before stupid and ineffective laws.
GuzziJohn

Offline nomosendero

Being legal  ;D
Does that mean, in the context of the this topic, that you were born here?

I'll give the young lady a pass; no choice on where she was born. But she's here, she grew up here, she's American, she BRIGHT and capable... why would we want to force her from her home?

Actually, I was joking around when I made the post, in a way on a different Dean's list!  ;D
But in another way, I did actually have to make a legal list. When I registered in college, I had worked on our farm & I couldn't come up with a SS# (1970's). They gave me a # to use with a bunch of zero's to register & then had to get a SS card & show my paper's, hey I was a citizen.
They may have been worried because I have just enough Cherokee blood to have jet black hair (more gray now)& I am not that dark, but tan really good. Maybe they thought I snuck across! ;D

Back to the young lady, to enforce our laws, some hurtful things will have to occur & I dont have all those answers, but we have to turn it around.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
I bet given the chance she will contribute a whole lot more to the USA than she has taken. It would be a terrible waste to deport her. Just some more projecting from some here of that fine "Christian" attitude of "I got mine, screw you". At times humanity has to come before stupid and ineffective laws.
GuzziJohn
    And I repeat;

" Sure enough..what are silly old laws for anyway... they not worth any more than the constitution..so  junk both of 'em "
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
  We ARE in trouble when citizens believe the constitution to be "stupid and ineffective".. just part of the liberal "war on America".

Offline guzzijohn

Quote from ironglow:
" We ARE in trouble when citizens believe the constitution to be "stupid and ineffective".. just part of the liberal "war on America"."

Tell me how well the current laws are working and how effective they are. Kind of like the war on drugs, it ain't working man!
GuzziJohn

Offline Cuts Crooked

Everyone wants the perfect outcome! Well guess what, sometimes there is no perfect outcome. ::)

Making exceptions leads to others wanting exceptions made for them too.....which ultimately leads to the whole system breaking down.

The young lady is in a bad situation.....who's to blame? HER PARENTS!!!!!!!! Time for her to take them to task for what THEY did to her, not Americas laws.

Exactly what would  happen to me if I were an illegal in Columbia, because my parents snuck into that country and raised me there?............Well?
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline magooch

Why should one illegal invader be given special consideration over another?  I'm sure they all have a sob story that someone will want to allow for.  This country has more legal American citizens than it can handle, so there's no way we need illegals, no matter what the reason.

And by the way, I did graduate at the top of my class in high school and college and that has nothing to do with anything.
Swingem

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
Quote from ironglow:
" We ARE in trouble when citizens believe the constitution to be "stupid and ineffective".. just part of the liberal "war on America"."

Tell me how well the current laws are working and how effective they are. Kind of like the war on drugs, it ain't working man!
GuzziJohn

They won't work...if enough people CHOOSE to ignore the law..then the US Collapses..like Somalia..just what liberals want !

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
I wonder if anyone that resides in the USA legally was denied financial aid for school or denied admission to a school so that an illegal could have those items it instead?

Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline Val

• A Real Regular
The young lady was brought here by her parents when she was 4 years old! She didn't make the decision to be an illegal immigrant. It's the US and it's lack of enforcement of laws and the communities where she grew up that has allowed her to attend schools where she obviously excelled. The illegals come here because they prosper and the US allows them to prosper, indeed much of the US encourages them to come here. The US is at fault for their coming here. Newt Gingrich got in trouble when he stated that the immigration laws and immigration policy needs to be applied with compassion for long term residents. I'm not for the dream act but if the US is ever going to address the illegal alien issue (I doubt that our politicians ever will) I believe it needs to be done in a compassionate way.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Offline guzzijohn

Compassion is a dirty word to many here.
GuzziJohn

Offline magooch

How about some compassion for 100 percent real American citizens.  We haven't done anything wrong and never invited anyone to come here and live as an univited guest.  This country simply can't continue to be the dumping ground for the rest of the world, or it will become a dump.  Real compassion is in preserving the best country the world has ever known.
Swingem

Offline lakota

My compassion is given out to those that are here legally first. If there is any left after they are done then maybe some illegals can have some of it.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  Question:  Since when should "compassion"... overule common sense, the law and the constitution ?

Answer:  When it is a LIBERAL putting forth his deepest intellectual considerations.

Offline Cuts Crooked

I still wanna know what would happen to me if I the situation were reversed and I were an illegal in Columbia?

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Cuts Crooked

.......and is it going to become a moot point?  http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/23/11356986-mexican-immigration-to-us-at-a-standstill-report-says?lite

All too soon we may see her wanting to return to Columbia because the conditions will be better there than they are here.......it happens, after they help destroy a country they go home, I guess. :o

Offline Stillkickin

• Avid Poster
The obviously intelligent young lady became well educated in schools paid for by whom?

Offline lakota

.......and is it going to become a moot point?  http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/23/11356986-mexican-immigration-to-us-at-a-standstill-report-says?lite

All too soon we may see her wanting to return to Columbia because the conditions will be better there than they are here.......it happens, after they help destroy a country they go home, I guess. :o

She will return home after WE are done paying for her education. After all we OWE it to her! Although I am not quite clear on just why it is that almost everyone on the planet is owed something by american taxpayers?

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
I say split the difference.  Let her stay in country until she graduates High School.  Then send her back across the border.  From there, If she is truly as smart and savvy as this article makes her out to be, then she will find a way to get on an education visa and come back to attend the college of her choice via scholarships or attend a university in Mexico or another country.

There are other options that she has in front of her should she choose to use them.  Unfortunately I'm in favor of deporting all illegals and she is unlucky enough to be on the list.
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  Hear...hear..  Sam makes sense...be kind but keep it legal..