Author Topic: New 357 mag back and reamed now the problem!  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
New 357 mag back and reamed now the problem!
« on: April 24, 2012, 06:50:00 AM »
Well I got it yesterday took the barrel off and in my want to get it done I reamed the barrel. All went well with the reaming and let the barrel sit last night to let any oil drops run out of the extractor area as last one i did I got little bits of oil on the shelf for the first two trips to the range. That said today I come out and put it back together and notice that when together the release latch is up to the point where the split in it is just under the receiver. Now un- like my other guns when i shake the gun the latch doesnt rattle at all. But when I push it up there still is a little travel left but no wobble at all when shaken.There is no gap between reciver and barrel. What do you guys think or am I worried about nothing and shoot it and see what happens?

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Re: New 357 mag back and reamed now the problem!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 07:17:14 AM »
Shoot it first.  If there are no problems your set. 
Why give yourself headaches worrying about something that might not be a problem.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 07:22:56 AM »
i am waiting on the reamer
my problem is i have no brass yet
quick....can you drop one old beat up wore out brass in the box??
so  i will know what they look like

been back ordered from gander for months...the brass that is
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 07:41:44 AM »

PM me your address and I will send you a few.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 07:47:17 AM »
Well I got it yesterday took the barrel off and in my want to get it done I reamed the barrel. All went well with the reaming and let the barrel sit last night to let any oil drops run out of the extractor area as last one i did I got little bits of oil on the shelf for the first two trips to the range. That said today I come out and put it back together and notice that when together the release latch is up to the point where the split in it is just under the receiver. Now un- like my other guns when i shake the gun the latch doesnt rattle at all. But when I push it up there still is a little travel left but no wobble at all when shaken.There is no gap between reciver and barrel. What do you guys think or am I worried about nothing and shoot it and see what happens?

I agree with OSR, don't fix what ain't broke...

Check the FAQ's for more info. BUT, the barrel release cams the latch back and forth. I personally like my lock up over half the release's range. That way as it wears in it will stil remain tite. If it locks up near the top of its range, when it settles in it could become loose. If it barely latches it can easily pop open.

It sounds to
Me like your barrel may be locking up close to the "top" of the barrel release's stroke.

The actual "feel" or loose movement of the release has no bearing on anything. The position of the LATCH is what matters.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 07:53:07 AM »
What they said, shoot it and go from there!!  ;) The latch release being loose is to be expected since most are, but some aren't loose and work just fine, each frame and barrel is subject to their own dimensions, they aren't all identical so there will be some differences in how the work together. And as always, if there's a problem, H&R will gladly fix it.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 07:54:58 AM »

The reamer comes with a dummy test cartridge.  ;)

Tim

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 02:54:07 PM »

The reamer comes with a dummy.  ;)

Tim

That's it! Tim, I ain't travelin with that reamer no more! ;D   DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 04:55:24 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Rodland

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 07:54:31 AM »

The reamer comes with a dummy.  ;)

Tim

That's it! Tim, I ain't travelin with that reamer no more! ;D   DP

I read this post 3 times in 2 days before the lights came on and the bells started ringing. However, I did use this reamer once. Guess I forgot to send the dummy back. ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D
My remember'er is broke, but my forgetter is getting better.

Offline Indiana Denny

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 09:08:15 AM »
BRASS BRASS my knigdom for brass I ahve scrounged up about 100 rounds in various  conditions.  A call to Remington who said do get your hopes up.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold an

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 09:16:29 AM »
A call to Remington who said do get your hopes up.

DO or do NOT!?   ???
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 05:43:55 PM »
Richard,

I do believe it's; do not get your hopes up.  Otherwise, why would he want to trade his kingdom for brass?   ;) ;D ;D

(Apologies to Shakespeare's, King Richard III and his classic line: "a horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse.")
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 09:04:05 AM »
All worried about fit and I hit the range and first shots from this new barrel were all good for me. I wanted to get some 1680 but 4 local shops were out and even cabelas said they dont know when they will be getting it in. Well had w296 so that is what i loaded for 19.5, 20, 20.5 and 21 which is the listed max for 180 hxtp. I loaded that bullet and 180 remsjhp with thes loads. I lalso have the h180 pistol bullet and noticed the cann grove is much shoter to the base than the xtp which gave more room for powder when loaded to it. I took those loads up to 22.5 with no signs of presseure and still room in the case. That said I lobe this caliber. For the first bullet through this barrel no 3 shot group was wider that 2 inches at 100. Powder was all burnt and I love that you can watch the bullet hit through the scope. my 223 handi has more jump than this one. To anyone that doesnt have one get one.   

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 01:06:50 AM »
All the shops around here are out of 1680 :(  I think I saw some mention of Lilgun and I have plenty of it.
I have a few Handis and the latch release on all of them is a little different, from tight to loose when closed. Seem to shoot OK. I wish the new hole in the side was threaded with allen or torx hole so we could get it out easier and peek in there. I saw Tims plug removal tool but I'm not smart enough to figure it out ;D
DH1, sounds like you have a shooter and watching the bullet hit is nice 8)