Author Topic: Preferred powder for short rifle barrels?  (Read 918 times)

Offline tacotime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Preferred powder for short rifle barrels?
« on: April 24, 2012, 07:34:33 AM »
Just wondering if there is a consensus on preferred IMR or Hodgdon powders for short rifle barrels, like the 16.5 inch Ruger 77 or Rem M7 with 18.5 in?

Talking 243, 260, 7-08, 308 level guns.

Basic logic would call for a fast powder, but seems like reloading physics sometimes go odd directions.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Preferred powder for short rifle barrels?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 09:39:48 AM »
barrel lenght in a rifle has little to do with what burn rate you would want to use. The same powders that give top velocitys in 22 inch guns will usually do the same in a 16.
Just wondering if there is a consensus on preferred IMR or Hodgdon powders for short rifle barrels, like the 16.5 inch Ruger 77 or Rem M7 with 18.5 in?

Talking 243, 260, 7-08, 308 level guns.

Basic logic would call for a fast powder, but seems like reloading physics sometimes go odd directions.
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 12:30:34 PM »
Hello TT,
 I am not aware of any manufacturer that based on the that alone offers a propensity to either short or long barreled firearms...

Its a Ford vs Chevy kind of question...

BOTH offer a number of good selections.

Personally, The caliber gives you a good idea of a number of potentially good powders. But, I let the gun itself decide on what powder I will use in it.

My guns like IMR 4350 for the 243, H-335 for the 7/08 and IMR 4320 for the 308. I do not own a .260, But my 6.5x55 likes H4895 and my 6.5x63 likes IMR 4350.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 12:38:09 PM »
Very interesting question, since slower powders are recommended for longer barrels, one would think faster powders should be recommended for shorter barrels. 

Have seen that slower powders make a bigger flash with shorter barrels.

Was recommended I consider 'Contender' loads in really short 16.5" barrels.   Also had it recommended that I try a slower than 4350 powder for a 'longer' 26" bbl 25-06, with heavier bullets.

So maybe powder burn rate is more dependent on bullet weight.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline wncchester

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 03:52:58 PM »
"So maybe powder burn rate is more dependent on bullet weight."

Yes, plus bore diameter and case capacity.  But not barrel length.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 06:38:10 AM »
Absolutely bullet weight will have more bearing on powder selection than barrel length.  All around good powder for all of them with heavy for caliber bullets is H4831.  H4350 is another good selection for middle of the road loads.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Savage_99

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 07:41:20 AM »
Of course barrel length matters as to powder selection.  However whats most important to the rifle owner?

Does he want to get the top velocity,  control muzzle blast, accuracy?  They all matter to us.

With that range of cartridges with a modest expansion ratio that you get from a short barrel I have used IMR's 3031 over the last half century and more with very good and reliable results.

Offline tacotime

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 04:03:01 AM »
Thanks!