Author Topic: Whats The Biggest Piece Of Junk Handgun, Youve Ever Bought ?  (Read 4697 times)

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Re: Whats The Biggest Piece Of Junk Handgun, Youve Ever Bought ?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2012, 05:57:42 AM »
DM, I'm also surprised at the Ruger trouble you've had. Only problems with Ruger 22 semi auto's, pistols or rifles, I ever had was with after market mags making them jam. Years ago I did buy a beautiful Ruger #1. Stainless, 45-70 with the laminated stocks. No matter what I ran thru it I couldn't keep it on a piece of notebook paper at 100 yards. Then there was a 444 Marlin I owned that was terrible at jamming up. The day it jammed and kept me from a second shot at a running trophy 8 point was the next to last day I owned it. Even with me telling a guy at a gunshow the next day that it jammed, he wanted it. It a gun doesn't do what it's supposed to do then it has to go.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline Rutin2tin

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
  • "No Gnuws is good Gnuws"~ Gary Gnu
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 08:25:30 AM »
Late 70's or early 80's I bought a Rossi 38spl revolver, j-frame size, with 3" barrel.
That gun was supposed to be my "fishing" companion, for coyote protection.
I swear, the metal used to build that revolver's frame and other parts was cast lead.
You wouldn't believe how soft that gun-metal was....literally, one could shave metal off the gun using a pocket knife.
Quietly traded it, (plus some cash) for a new H&R model 999, 22LR revolver.
My brother in law still owns that H&R, and he loves it....I sold it to him (a few years later) to partly finance a brand new S&W 617 no dash with 4" barrel.
I still own the S&W 617 and it is a honey!

It is.....what it is...

Offline ratdog

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2012, 07:52:32 PM »
bought a phoenix arms 22 pistol shot about 100 rounds shot good then i let my wife shoot it it blew the rim end of case out and spit powder in my wifes face rest of case was still in barrel gun jamed i did a fluff and buff on it i think it's the hollow points if it screws up again i will hit it with a slug hammer and junk it. bought a jiminez 380 that works fine both guns when i bought them weren't loose fitting but now they both are. >:(

Offline tt4617

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2012, 08:12:02 AM »
Bryco/Jennings 9mm. Need I say more?

Offline cruzerbotz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2012, 01:06:10 AM »
Forty years ago in school, I bought a Raven 25.  Nice, concealable.  Then, I took it apart and saw the hook that was the sear.  Traded it on something.  And, while in school, I paid $1 on a raffle and won a Rohm or some other German POS.  It was so loose and wore out I wouldn't even shoot it.  But, I sold it for something like $15 and had a nice party.
More recently, had a Walther P22.  Had it for a couple of years and then did a detailed cleaning.  Saw how thin the barrel was and got rid of it.  Had a H&R Partner 870 clone for a home defense shotgun.  Had fired it a couple of times without any problems.  Then took it out for an extended session.  After the first couple of shots, I couldn't get it to rack.  Sold it at the next gun show, and actually got my money back out of it.

Offline Reverend Recoil

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2012, 10:20:59 AM »
The worst pistol I have ever owned was a Taurus 745 MiliniumPro.  The striker would not reliably set off the cartridge primer.  This thing went back to the Taurus service center twice at my expense and still would not work.  I will never buy another Taurus product.  You get what you pay for.  My only surprise of this topic is that no one has listed Hi-Point.  At least a Hi-Point will go bang when the trigger is pulled.

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2012, 04:59:34 AM »
  ...My only surprise of this topic is that no one has listed Hi-Point.  At least a Hi-Point will go bang when the trigger is pulled.

I have a few friends that own or have owned High Points. They have poor ergonomics and are butt ugly and have horrible heavy and gritty trigger pulls but they seem very reliable. One of them has a 9mm High Point Carbine and it is pretty accurate.

I am lucky. My only lemon was a Ruger MK 2. The upper was loose inside the grip frame so the sights never lined up in the same place twice. I should have sent it back to Ruger but I was impatient and sold it at a loss and bought a MK2 .22/45 that was a great little gun. I sold that and got a MK 3 .22/45 that was a great little gun. The first Mk 2 was the only one I had trouble with and if I had had a little patience I am sure Ruger would have repaired it.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2012, 09:53:59 AM »
Interesting.  Nobody has mentioned Beretta, Colt or S&W problems.  I have a 92F that will not eject Corbon 9mm.  Too hot I suppose.

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 11:30:59 AM »
Noone has said anything bad about a Springfield either.  I have an XD-M, great gun.  Now back to bad guns.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2012, 07:47:13 PM »
1. My worst gun ever - .45 Taurus Millennium.
     The magazine would eject every 6 to 8 shots.
     At least once per magazine you could pull the trigger all the way and it wouldn't fire. Release the trigger - BANG!
     Customer Service was a joke. Had to send it back three times before it worked. I had to pay for each trip.

2. EAA Witness, .40.
     Again the magazine would eject on its own.
     Must have had a bad crown. It shot 6 in. high and 4 in. right at 7.5 yards! At 25 yards it was unbelievable where you had to aim to even get it on the paper.

3. Ruger Mk.II
     It would constantly jam. Had to take a cleaning rod with me to shoot it to force the empties out. I promise you, I tried every brand I could find and the only thing it would shoot w/o jamming was CCI Blazers.

Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline hemiram

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2012, 03:17:40 PM »
Easy, my first gun, a Taurus Model 83n (n for nickel), The nickel was very well done, but the rest of it...well, not so much.

Cylinder would bind when hot.
Timing was a mile off and it spit lead badly.
Bore was all messed up, rifling seemed to stop about halfway down the barrel and start again about a 1/4" later. Needless to say, it leaded up instantly. I had to pound the lead out of it after 6 shots.

Sent back to Taurus twice. They fixed the timing and the cylinder binding, but they insisted both times that the bore was "perfectly normal". A couple of gunsmiths, and a bunch of people who had been shooting for a long time disagreed.

Offline tboy

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2012, 04:47:38 PM »
AMT .22lr. Never got 1 single mag thru that junker, not 1.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2012, 01:03:32 AM »
Every manufacturer occasionally lets a lemon slip out the door (i.e.; Ruger, EAA, yes even Springfield & and S&W) It's also important to note that given the opportunity these companies will make things right with a minimum of headaches for the consumer. 

Other manufacturers seem to be in the lemon farming business. (i.e.; Jennings, Taurus, etc).  Again it is interesting to note that these outfit's customer service seems to run on par with their QC, uncaring and inadequate. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC