Author Topic: Mystery Ramrod  (Read 444 times)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Mystery Ramrod
« on: April 28, 2012, 06:39:14 PM »
Another member sent me an interesting PM regarding a mystery ramrod.  I couldn't help him, do any of you fellas have an answer for him?

The PM:
"I have found an original telescoping NEF ram rod in the shop here. I believe it to be for sidekick, but may be Huntsman. It's 28 1/8 long open and 19 3/4 closed. It's 7/16 dia. It does not have a loading or starting jag attached, so the length of the jag would have to be added back for true total length... Were these button type jags and did they screw in? I cant tell if this one has broken off flush or what. If so do you know if they were standard 10-32 threads? Not much brass there for threads that size. Anyway I want to tap it, if so, and get it to someone that will use it. Thanks for any help. You seemed to know your ram rods the other day, I hope you dont mind me asking for the help."

My measurements on ramrods for the Sidekicks I own are:
26" barrel - 18" closed, 25 1/4" extended.

24" barrel - 15 7/8" closed, 23 3/8" extended.

It should be the same for the newer 50Cal Huntsman rifles.

On the older style 45Cal Huntsman:
28" barrel - 20 1/2" closed, 30" extended.

I don't have a 58Cal Huntsman, maybe PHATINJUN, AtlLaw, or someone else who owns a older style 58Cal Huntsman could chime in. 
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.