Author Topic: My 17HMR  (Read 809 times)

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
My 17HMR
« on: April 30, 2012, 03:19:41 PM »
I ordered my 17HMR sportster and have some questions. Are they generally out of the box accurate or do they need some tweaking and are the BSA Sweet 17 scopes any good for the HMR?
It's going to be my small game/varmint/target rifle so I want the best setup I can get for it.
Thanks for any info.

Spanky

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: My 17HMR
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 03:36:48 PM »
If yours shoots as well as mine you will be pleased.  I'm not a fan of BSA scopes, so can't help on that one, but with zero recoil, it should do well.  If the wind isn't blowing too hard, there is little I can't hit if I can see it.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline chamois1

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:08:06 PM »
Purchased my first handy in 17 HMR a little over a year ago. I was so pleased with the way it shoots that I became hooked on Handi's. I now have six in different calibers and four frames  waiting for the right barrel. I really think you will love the 17 HMR.

Eddie

Offline GEMSTATE

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »
I guess mine is one of the problem children. Bout a full choke .410 pattern at 25 yards so far. This is with the Hornady .20 grain hollows. What I've read some are ammo brats but I'm still working on it. Hope yours is a shooter!

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
  • Trying to improve myself one shot at a time.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 03:55:55 AM »
For what it's worth, I got mine about a month ago. I bought the BSA sweet 17 3x9x40 scope as well.  First thing I did was remove the synthetic stock. Just my preference. I like wood stocks and you can do more to them to tweak for accuracy than a synthetic stock. I had a shotgun buttstock and fore end lying around so I threw that on it. I cleaned and polished the bore and then shot about 50 rounds of Hornady 17 and 20gr through it at 50 yards. I noted a definite stringing pattern from both weights of bullets. I have since ordered a varmint stock from one of the board sponsers and I am in the process of free floating and bedding. Hopefully with a tweaked stock and with another 50 -100 rounds through it with some more polishing of the bore it will tighten up the groups and stop the stringing pattern.

Good luck. They are fun to shoot.
Cartridges for My Entertainment: .22 S,L,LR, .223 Rem, 7x57, 30-06, 8x57, 357 mag/max, 35 Remington/Indiana, 35 Whelen, 44 mag, 445 SM mag. Adding the 6.5x55 swede!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 05:34:07 AM »
I guess mine is one of the problem children. Bout a full choke .410 pattern at 25 yards so far. This is with the Hornady .20 grain hollows. What I've read some are ammo brats but I'm still working on it. Hope yours is a shooter!

I have four 17hmrs, a Sportster, two Marlins and a CZ, none shoot the 20gr as good as the 17gr ammo, if you're looking for better penetration, try the TNT hollow points, they're not as explosive as the BTs, my buddy and I tested the Federal black tips vs the TNT hollow points on ground squirrels at ~100-150yds, the TNT had much better penetration performance as the tests on Varmint Al's site show.

Tim

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm#Penetration

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline GEMSTATE

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 05:58:23 AM »
Thank you sir. I'll give them a try.