Author Topic: Rain in Texas?  (Read 1356 times)

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
Rain in Texas?
« on: May 02, 2012, 01:54:23 AM »
We've received close to 6" of rain this year at our place in Edwards County. How is everyone else doing? We had 1.1" Monday night alone.  Things look much different than this time last year.
markc

Offline oldandslow

Re: Rain in Texas?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 02:55:43 AM »
We haven't had any to speak of up on the south plains where my place is located. It looks like no crop again this year.

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 07:30:28 AM »
First 3 months of this year, we had a little over 13" north of San antonio. Nothing in April and so far, zero in May.  Need something good, quick, or it's going to be a very long summer.

Offline GeneRector

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 04:05:50 PM »
 :)  Howdy! I live on the cusp of central and east Texas in Leon County. The tanks are all full from previous rainfall. However, it has not rained significantly in several weeks and rain is needed right now. I sure hope this summer is not like the last one. Best of luck! Always, Gene

Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 09:24:36 AM »
We need rain here in West Texas in the worst kind of way.  Its alraedy started out to be a another bad year, with the heat (several days over 100), the drought and winds, we are expecting wildfires again this year.

My part of Texas has experienced about 12 years of drought, most of the water sources are near dry and may be if rain doesn't come soon. :( :( :(

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 07:48:43 AM »
Since Sunday morning, May 6th, we received an additional 3.75 inches just north of San Antonio. Currently we are getting drenched in San Antonio and flood warnings are up with an anticipated 4-5" to come.
This should really help our aquifer recharge.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 08:33:35 AM »
Finally a little relief for West Texas, over the past three days we have received about 1 ½ inches, just a steady soaking rain not enough to create any run-off to help retore the lakes/ponds.  Every little bit helps!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline Gaz-52

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 11:22:51 AM »
      Sure glad some of you guys are getting a bit of " liquid sunshine"  ;D , I hope you all get to go to sleep listening to the rain falling on roof before your summer starts . Just remember , don't all pray for rain at the same time , b'cause you may end up with floods like we got down here the last two summers  ;) .
         Gaz 52l   

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 08:00:59 AM »
Ended up getting a total of 5.6" this past week.
Supposedly we are due for more in the next few days.
Up in San Saba county, we got a little over 3.6" which left our two largest stock tanks (1ac/each) about 3-4 feet low. Another hard 2" rain should fill those up to the brim. A lot better start this year than last. Also, our hay crop should be good this year. Keeping fingers crosses. :D

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 04:17:02 AM »
Finally getting some sunshine. They are calling for sunny days for the next 5-6 days, which should let things really start growing.
So far, since the 6th, we've had a little over 8.25".  Stock tanks should be good for a while.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 02:04:28 PM »
 I checked the local paper for the neck of the woods my place is located. Looks like a little more than an inch in that area. Paper is saying the farmers are calling it a "million dollar rain".   ::) I grew up in that dryland farming area. It's going to get a crop planted and that's all. It's going to take a lot more of those million dollar rains this year for anyone to make a crop.