Author Topic: .225 Winchester reloading questions  (Read 706 times)

Offline MarksmanTim

• Trade Count: (0)
.225 Winchester reloading questions
« on: May 03, 2012, 09:21:50 AM »
Hey guys.

I am now set up to reload for my M70 chambered in .225. I have a RCBS 2 die set that came with the rifle. I have loaded a few hundred rounds of new brass, but I am about to reload the rounds that were given to me with the rifle (they were reloaded rounds, with load history on each box). I have decapped and resized them, had to discard several that looked suspicous around the neck, and several that were actually cracked.

I am ready to mic them up and see what needs trimming, but regardless, I do not have a case length gauge. I have a few Lee items: Zip trim, cutter, drill attachment, but no length gauge.

What do those of you who reload the .225 use to trim your casings? I looked on the Lee website and they do not list a gauge for the .225. Is there a similar cartridge that can be used instead? Is the OAL the important measurement for this?

I look forward to constructive responses.

Thanks!

Tim

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: .225 Winchester reloading questions
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 10:47:14 AM »
I'm going to a 225 also and use the Lee trimming tools.
My plan was to either have them make me a custom for the 225 win if it's affordable or use the 22-250 case length gauge.
The 22-250 is just .018 shorter than the 225 Win, this is good,, there's nothing carved in stone that says's the case length gauge needs to be screwed all the way down on the cutting head.
The 30-30 shell holder should work (I already have that)
here's a link to their custom service, looks like $15,,
(oop's) http://leeprecision.com/custom-case-length-gauge.html
found elsewhere

Offline MarksmanTim

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 03:43:49 PM »
Thanks for the info. I have the same thoughts as you, I just haven't gotten to the point of comparing OAL of the .225 to similar cart. like the 22-250, 220 swift, etc.
Since I plan to never sell this rifle, and am actually going to look for a spare barrel, I might have Lee make me one. It is not a lot of coin for getting the correct tool.

Offline shot1

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 03:02:05 AM »
I use a Lyman trimmer so you can make a case any length you want it. I don't have a 225 Win but I do have a 14" Contender barrel in 6mm-225 Win. I make my cases out of 225 Win and trim them the same OAL as the 225 Win.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 12:57:44 PM »
Dial calipers try them.

OAL> is over all length of cartridge after loaded.

CL > is case length W/O bullet.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.