Author Topic: WLRM for 30-06?  (Read 676 times)

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
WLRM for 30-06?
« on: May 03, 2012, 04:18:17 PM »
I know that this is strictly speaking a reloading question but my GBO home is really here, so I'm hoping you don't mind my asking here too.

So I just loaded a test batch of 20 rounds 30-06 with the Hornady 150 gr SP over 46.5 gr H-Varget in Remington once fired brass and realized that I had used Win Large Rifle Magnum primers rather than plain Large Rifle. While I realize there is no benefit to using Magnum primers with this load and that there will be a pressure spike, the load is below Hodgdon start data at 47 gr Varget and their max at 51 gr Varget (50,000 psi). In your more experienced opinions, am I okay using these rounds  in my 30-06 Handi ?
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
Re: WLRM for 30-06?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 04:40:29 PM »
You will want to look at a loading manual and see what equivelent the mag primer = in grains of powder added to a load, I though it was like adding 2 gr to a load, but this is just what I was told when I started loading and have no documentation to prove it. Email the primer mfg and ask before you shoot, to know what they would add. better to be safe than sorry.  thejanitor

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 02:06:10 PM »
we have performed piezo/tran test with cci primers.
magnum large rifle  vs  standard large rifle.  pressure differences were equal to .88gr of powder tested.
too many varibles to give our precision results for folks to load with. ;)
itsa liability thang yall know............... ;D
SO YALL DON'T USE THIS TO BUILD LOADS WITH ::)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 02:29:06 PM »
magnum large rifle  vs  standard large rifle.  pressure differences were equal to .88gr of powder tested.

Doc,

Wouldn't happen to remember what caliber the barrel was for your primer testing? ::)

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 02:49:22 PM »
Thanks guys. I feel pretty confident that at the low middle range of Varget loads for 30-06 the Win Large Rifle Magnum is not going to create unsafe pressures. But it sure will make me take a closer look at the box next time!
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 12:06:51 AM »

Doc,

Wouldn't happen to remember what caliber the barrel was for your primer testing? ::)

BB

i have done several when i tested for speer, this one was for tha mentioned--30/06 ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.