Author Topic: hard to beat a 550  (Read 1387 times)

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
hard to beat a 550
« on: May 04, 2012, 05:00:06 AM »
I just got done loading over 4k of 9mm, .40 and 10mm on my 550. It never once gave me one iota of problems, Not even a primer misfeed. Ive got 3 lnl progressives and used to have 5 square deals and have loaded alot of ammo on 650s and even 1050s and i dont think a single one of them comes close to the reliability of a 550. Sure there a bit slower but id bet by the time you fool with a lnl that its not much slower if any.
blue lives matter

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: hard to beat a 550
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 05:13:04 AM »
Not to mention the no BS warranty. After 20 years of heavy use, my 550 needed a few new parts that were provided and shipped free of charge.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 10:20:45 AM »
I've been loading for over 30 years on all single stage press's , may be time for me to come out of the dark ages and pick up a 550  ;D  and I can even use the dies that I have .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 01:09:47 PM »
Lloyd I agree great press, but I still use a older 2nd owner SDB for pistol I got it real cheap W/ 4 sets of dies.

Speaking of cheap I just bought yesterday a 550 off CL for $115 missing some parts (priming) and a few springs and powder measure parts, between what I have and a call to Dillon on mon will resolve that.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 01:17:42 PM »
thats a heck of a deal. I like square deals too. I used to have them set up in different calibers. As far as speed goes i can load on a square deal as fast as i can on a 650 with a case feeder due to the short stroke of the sd. I lost them all in the fire. To be honest i dont miss them much. there just not as stoutly built as a 550 or 650 and little parts tend to wear on them but for what they are there a hell of a press.
Lloyd I agree great press, but I still use a older 2nd owner SDB for pistol I got it real cheap W/ 4 sets of dies.

Speaking of cheap I just bought yesterday a 550 off CL for $115 missing some parts (priming) and a few springs and powder measure parts, between what I have and a call to Dillon on mon will resolve that.
blue lives matter

Offline huntducks

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 06:29:09 AM »
Lloyd I know what you mean about the SDB, but I got it so cheap off ebay 13-14 years ago and with Dillons warr. I could not go wrong, I got 4 die sets with it 9mm 38-357 45acp 44mag I have never used the 44 and with straight walled cases you don't really crank that hard, I just hate changing it over.

Once I get this one up and running i'll have 2-550 so i'll most likely sell one.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline Ready_Aim_Fire!

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 11:49:37 AM »
I have 2- 550B's one set up in LG the other set up in SM.. + I have 5 Square deals 9, 45, 40/10, 44, 38/357. the only problem I have been having with the 550's is the gouging of the piston. It is happening on both machines. I reload more than way more than most do. I am returning both machines as it is causing binding on the upstoke. Dillon Has been really cool they said to ship both back so they can check out the problem.
Contender G1, 45 Win Mag BBL, 44Mag BBL, Rossi 92 .357, M1 Garand '44, M1 carbine '43, 1903 Mark I '19, Win 1300, Win. 94, USP45 FS CCW
Taurus 82

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 12:44:35 AM »
thats a new problem on me. My first one probably had a 200k loaded on it and this newer one half that and i havent seen any gouging. Never heard of it from anyone else either. Id be curious as to what dillon comes up with as the reason for it.
I have 2- 550B's one set up in LG the other set up in SM.. + I have 5 Square deals 9, 45, 40/10, 44, 38/357. the only problem I have been having with the 550's is the gouging of the piston. It is happening on both machines. I reload more than way more than most do. I am returning both machines as it is causing binding on the upstoke. Dillon Has been really cool they said to ship both back so they can check out the problem.
blue lives matter

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 01:13:06 AM »
You guys must be the lucky ones.  I have what I believe to be the first Dillon 550 that rolled off their line and have not been so fortunate.  Mine has flipped so many primers and reverse seated them that I finally dismantled the primer feed and now hand feed using a handheld Lee Auto Prime, regardless of caliber.  It seems to be the only way to get a positive primer seating, for me.
I also use the powder dispenser in a separate step and hand manipulate it to drop the charges.  Just once I loaded some personal defense rounds for my 38 snubbie using the full turret set-up and went to the range to test them only to find that more than 50% of the reloads did not get powder charges.  Not very promising for defensive loads. 
So, I take it for what it is and still use it.  Mine is 26 years old this month, I got it for my 40th b-day.  I still use it, but as a 2 stage turret: re-sizing, depriming and belling in one stage, but them priming and charging by hand, with seating and crimping in the second stage.  I like the press and the thought that went into it and the folks at Dillon are very helpful if I need another shellplate or some new dies but otherwise, my 550 has a limited application for me.  I will gladly admit though that the powder measure is the most consistent dispenser I own. 
I am just very leery of not being able to visually verify that all the primers are properly seated and all powder charges properly dispensed before the bullets are seated and the 'reloaded' rounds are dropped into the collection bin.  I am well aware of my foibles and this is one of them but at least I know that what I reload will shoot, unless the primer is a dud and that happens less frequently with my reloads than with factory ammo. 

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 02:29:22 AM »
Still using an RL450 that I bought in the 1980's!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Ready_Aim_Fire!

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 01:35:07 PM »

Mikey if your primer feed system is flipping primers you may need a new shim. I had the same problem I replaced the nylon stop pin and the shim plate & that fixed the problem. 
Contender G1, 45 Win Mag BBL, 44Mag BBL, Rossi 92 .357, M1 Garand '44, M1 carbine '43, 1903 Mark I '19, Win 1300, Win. 94, USP45 FS CCW
Taurus 82

Offline huntducks

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 06:43:34 AM »
Mikey

Also if it not adjusted perfict to go between the shell plate it will flip the primers.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 01:05:29 AM »
Not to mention the no BS warranty. After 20 years of heavy use, my 550 needed a few new parts that were provided and shipped free of charge.

Cheese

The no BS warranty isn't so much "no BS" any longer. They charge for every little part now.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 01:35:38 AM »
ive been using there equiptment for over 25 years now and have NEVER paid for a part. The only time i ever bought parts from them was when i bought a bare frame for a square deal and bought the parts to complete it. Sure didnt expect them to pay for those parts. I had a fire and lost all my loading gear about 3 years ago. I had a 550 and 5 square deals in that barn. Dillon was nice enough to send me a free 550 with a caliber conversion of my choise and a strong mount. What other company ON EARTH would do that!
blue lives matter

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 04:45:53 AM »

Cheese

The no BS warranty isn't so much "no BS" any longer. They charge for every little part now.

About a year ago, The roller handle broke off at the threads. Called Dillon and explained it, I had a new handle at my door in one week, no charges...

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 07:46:58 AM »
Had a problem with my ram scoring a little.  Dirt and lack of lube.  Now I clean and re-lube it ever few 1000 rounds. 

Still have a problem with primer feed.  I can do 100-200 or so rounds of fired and cleaned brass with spent primers through to completed loaded rounds.  After 100-200 decappings, the primer arm will go part way, stop, then spring forward throwing the primer out.  I have yet to come up with way to keep powder residue from dirtying it and/or keeping it properly lubed so it works flawlessly.  When I am setting down to load 500 or 1000 of one caliber, I often size all, then prime with Lee HAND prime, then come back through to load.  Takes less time than chasing flipped primers or lubing aluminum priming arms sliding on a steel plate.

Wouldn't get rid of either of my 550s for anything.....unless you figure out how to auto index one......

Steve :)

"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Iowa Fox

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
Still using an RL450 that I bought in the 1980's!

Same here and it still looks and works like new. Too old to upgrade now at my age as I can load faster than I can shoot em anymore.

Offline huntducks

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 08:06:31 AM »

Cheese

Hey Flash

So expound on what they charged you for, I feel it's unfair to throw around insults W/O saying anything further.

The internet is a great thing but it's how rumors get started.

Waiting....

Offline sixshot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 11:04:28 AM »
The Dillon 550 is without a doubt the best bargin in all of reloading.

Dick

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 12:31:59 PM »

Cheese

im not saying they're anything but great equipment but i lost that little screw that holds the tap that resembles a feller gauge and Dillon  told me it was going to be $5 shipped. Luckily Fastenall had it for twelve cents.

Hey Flash

So expound on what they charged you for, I feel it's unfair to throw around insults W/O saying anything further.

The internet is a great thing but it's how rumors get started.

Waiting....
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 01:43:03 PM »
I have a SDB in one caliber, .45ACP. I was wondering if I should go ahead and invest in the 550 now or buy new kits for my other handguns for the SDB... Those SDB conversions are pretty costly. I could buy a new press for the price of a few conversion kits for the SDB.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Ready_Aim_Fire!

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 10:09:59 PM »
If you are using a SDB now and are only loading a few caiber (5-10) then I would stick with the SDB and just get the caliber conversions. If you switch to a 550 the cost will be much greater when you consider the cost of all the dies, caliber conversions and die blocks.
Taurus 82

Offline Ready_Aim_Fire!

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 10:13:26 PM »
for those using the older 450 dillon makes an upgrade I believe it is so you can use 550 parts
Taurus 82

Offline buckbrush

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 11:38:37 AM »
the 550 has probably loaded more rounds than any other home use press, it is also very simple compared to the auto=indexing presses. The depriming - priming system is its only real weak point. The 550 I has worked great as long as I cleaned the priming slide and station every 500 rds or so.