Author Topic: Tactical mounted lasers  (Read 653 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Tactical mounted lasers
« on: May 05, 2012, 01:26:11 AM »
Mornin guys!

I am looking for any and all info on under barrel mounted lasers  I know they are not the best for pin point accuracy. But for my purposes close is good. Say 4" at 25 yards is good.

Is "green" worth the extra $$?

Specifically for a PMR-30. But I'm posting here cause I'm thinking it's a broader base to draw from.

Looked at a couple around 100$ (red) and ext small sized. I don't want one that looks like a tac lite.

What are you using and what do you like!  Even if you don't have one, what's your opinion?

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline DDZ

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Tactical mounted lasers
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 03:09:20 AM »
I don't have a red laser light, but have shot guns with them on. What I have seen with the red light is that if you want to shoot it in any thing that resembles bright light, its hard to pick up the dot. Also any distance is a factor. I had been looking at the Viridian lights, and picked one up at an NRA show for less money at the Viridian booth. It does not have the bright white light along with the green laser. Its just the laser light. I mounted it on an XD .45, and no question about it you can see and pick up the green light easier in light and at a greater distance.
 On sand bags, I was not aware how accurate my XD could be, shooting it using the laser sight. I guess maybe 54 year old eyes may come into play using iron sights. Standing two handed hold was the same results. Once you have the dot zeroed to point of impact you can be more accurate than using iron sights. For me anyway.
I'm glad I spent the extra money for the green laser, because I don't think I would have been happy with a red light, just from what I have seen of red lights. I believe the Viridian is a quality light. I think they were one of the first companies to develop the green laser sight.

Now for personal defense I'm not sold on a laser light. I have used iron sights all my life, and in a pressure situation I think I would automatically look for sights. In a dark environment the laser sight would be better, just because you can't see iron sights in the dark. Also a laser sight adds size and bulk to a carry gun, unless you get a grip mounted laser sight. I do keep the sight mounted on the XD for home defense, but I feel the shotgun beside it would be my first choice. The green laser sight certainly is fun to shoot with.  From my personal experience the green laser is certainly worth the extra money.         

http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline Uncle Harry

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 03:45:28 AM »
CW,
I've been doing lots of research on the red vs. green issue as I'm looking to add a laser to my PMR as well.
What the "experts" say is that green is much more visible and has longer range and works better in daykight situations. Downside is low ambient temps. seem to foul up the green more than the red.
Veridian seems to be the choice of many but they're spendy.
I may just try a cheapo green laser to see if I even like lasers at all.  :)

Offline DDZ

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 06:00:32 AM »
At the NRA show last year I paid $225 for the SXD light. A fair amount cheaper than what I would have paid ordering it through Viridian. From what I have seen between the red and green lights the extra money was worth it. But everyone may not see it that way. 
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn