Author Topic: stock bolt hole crossthreaded  (Read 586 times)

Offline guvnor

• Trade Count: (0)
stock bolt hole crossthreaded
« on: May 05, 2012, 05:49:10 AM »
I have a 410 pardner which I bought used.  I removed the stock bolt and noticed it was very hard to unscrew from the receiver.  When I got it all the way out, I noticed the threads were pretty messed up and I assume whoever installed the stock last had "forced" it in there and possibly crossthreaded it in the process. 

The stock screw still inserts and tightens in the receiver, but I would like to fix the threads somehow. 

Should I attempt to re-tap the threads?  Or try a heli coli?  etc.

Any advice apprieciated!

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: stock bolt hole crossthreaded
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 07:13:43 AM »
If it were me I'd probably go the tap route first with the tap and some oil.  Once threads are boogered up bad though, it's usually a moot point.  Since this is a cast frame, you might consider checking the Handi Classifieds for an inexpensive SB1 frame.  I've seen them as low as $45 shipped and then you can see if your barrel fits on that frame.  I don't think the helicoil will take in cast metal frames very well, but you never know.  Maybe some others have better ideas.  Only other thing I can think of is boring hole larger and epoxying in a Rivnut style fastener or smooth sided spacer nut into the hole.  8(
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline guvnor

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:29:15 AM »
Thanks!  I bought a tap and ill give it a shot.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 12:51:49 PM »
Just run a tap through it to start.How often will you be changing stocks anyway? If you get the stock on it you want leave it alone and shoot it. If you sell it be sure to mention the threads to the buyer....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley