Author Topic: Which do you shoot  (Read 1943 times)

Offline ole95

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Avid Poster
Which do you shoot
« on: May 06, 2012, 09:18:06 AM »
Which pistol silhouette do you shoot IHMSA or NRA

Offline Madmark

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
Re: Which do you shoot
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 09:29:11 AM »
I started shooting IHMSA, as it was the most active in my area. (Central Wisconsin) Now that I'm located in Southwest KS, I'll shoot whatever I can find!! If you have a choice, I'd say shoot both sports, but gear up with 10" barrels on your production pistols so you conform to the rules of either IHMSA or NRA!

Offline Ken ONeill

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 10:04:08 AM »
I always preferred IHMSA for long range and NRA for Hunter Pistol, but when NRA suddenly changed the Hunter Pistol Course distance to the Chickens, it annoyed a lot of people including me, due to the need to change Range impact areas, etc. Thereafter, I only shot IHMSA.

Offline 19 Turkeys

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 05:03:40 AM »
IHMSA - haven't ever lived near NRA matches.

Steve W.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 03:27:59 PM »
I started out shooting with IHMSA, but all the affiliated clubs around here have folded up. Our gun club is NRA affiliated and we run matches mostly based on NRA rules, so that's what is available in Albuquerque at the moment.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline ole95

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 10:44:37 AM »
Well I also shoot both.
Right on on the 40m chicks and the 10" vs. 12" barrel and you got Ready vs. Load
I can shoot NRA SB and BB Hunter pistol 50 miles from my house.
it's little over 3hr. away to shoot IHMSA BB and SB :( Jackson miss.
To shoot IHMSA Field pistol/small bore it's 5 1/2 hrs.  :( Gainsville Ga.
I'm not sure were I can shoot LR NRA pistol ?
jrs

Offline 35ISIT

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 08:55:42 AM »
IHMSA here. Our club used to have dual sanction. We done it to appease a few shooters. They shot a couple times and quit coming. So, we dropped NRA sanction.
Ky State Director IHMSA
Hunter Education Instructor
6/27/2010 80X80
Life Member NRA

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 09:06:53 AM »
IMHSA when we had it but most clubs are gone now. shame really
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline ole95

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 03:02:27 PM »
I've talked to a few people though out the US over the last month or so and I'm sad to say a lot have given up there sanction both IHMSA and NRA and now just a few friend meet and shoot . Not sure why 

Offline Nobade

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 03:50:08 PM »
From what I have seen everybody wants to be "tactical" and silhouette just isn't it. I have to beg and plead to get people to come to the silhouette matches, but the action pistol, three gun, precision rifle, etc. are just booming. Folks want fast and furious, more like a live action video game I suppose. Maybe they feel the need to get ready for the zombies or something, but they sure don't want to shoot silo matches any more.

Offline ole95

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 02:47:06 PM »
yep you got it
maybe if we had a class were you had to shoot all 40 targets non stop in 1 min. with a swat suit on.

Offline Nobade

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 04:11:55 PM »
Haha - yeah, and placed them 15 feet away!

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 07:19:35 AM »
I used to shoot both!!  Matches by many clubs were dual sanctioned.  When NRA quit holding NRA Pistol Nationals, I let my membership lapse.  Have not heard of any clubs or matches in NRA Pistol Silhouette for several years now.

Now it is IHMSA only, but not nearly as often as I would like.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline ole95

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 01:44:39 PM »
Have not heard of any clubs or matches in NRA Pistol Silhouette for several years now
Steve
I was googling for  pistol silhouette matches in Alabama and found 2 NRA matches with in 60 miles of me
I e-mailed NRA and asked if they had a list and was told no but was givien a link for more infor but I fat finger deleted it from my phone >:(   
those two matches are SB/BB hunter pistol and cowboy lever action . I like shooting the IHMSA bb but that over 3 hrs. away and hit on a lot of my weekends to work

Offline ole95

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 07:10:44 AM »
At 14 this thread has more replies than any thread on this forum in the last 2 years 2 months and 15 days
that's kinda sad  :(
I guess silhouette shooters not much on typing maybe worried they will hurt there trigger finger  ;D

come on guys this game an't dead yet

Offline chain

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 12:23:32 PM »
I don't...  But my kids shoot in 4H County matches and at the State Games (we have also shot in a few other open 4H shoots).  I think the rules are based on the NRA rules.  I hope to get them more involved - as at least per the web there are a lot of opportunities to shoot both within 3 hrs.

They have been shooting small bore pistol in both our small bore and hunter pistol classes.  Looking forward to getting them a dedicated hunter pistol soon (guess I should go with 10" for versatility, but our rules allow for 12").

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 12:16:57 PM »
The last two years I helped the club at Griffin, Ga. host the Glock Match.  In 2011 they ran 600 entries in two days. In 2012 the entries were just under 900 in two long days. In some of their events the participant shoots three strings of 10 shots. The distance is no more than 25yds and they shoot the gun they own or may carry.  It teaches them how their home or carry gun will perform.  It is a huge success.
 IHMSA style shooting places emphasis on precision (while shooting from generally unorthodox positions at targets placed at ridiculous distances). Not to mention the several categories and guns tailored to each; the size of the range and power of the cartridges mean you must have adequate safety beyond the range.  So, we travel to get to a range so situated.
 For those who want large magazines emptied quickly, there is little time for load development and tedious sighting at our distances.  Their match is completed in not much more time than we use for our first bank of targets. They may have one type of ammo; we're much more complex.
 For most urban and suburban shooters there just is no concept of anything but rapid fire and short distances. Not many are willing to put forth the time, expense and effort to try and master a style of shooting that appeals to us. rp

Offline Smokin7mm

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 03:38:15 AM »
At 14 this thread has more replies than any thread on this forum in the last 2 years 2 months and 15 days
that's kinda sad  :(
I guess silhouette shooters not much on typing maybe worried they will hurt there trigger finger  ;D

come on guys this game an't dead yet

There was a time when the IHMSA forum was on the (amioo) site then I believe it was hacked and they started over, then again.  In the interum people went to this site and then found another on Speciality Pistols.   Seems like each has its followings as to where they go most so instead of one location there are three.  Just an observation.
Bret

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2019, 04:44:39 AM »
Let's bring this one back up and see if folks might want to talk more about it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!