Author Topic: Charter 2000 Bulldog and adjustable sights  (Read 460 times)

Offline SPW

• Trade Count: (0)
Charter 2000 Bulldog and adjustable sights
« on: January 30, 2004, 01:58:03 PM »
I have been looking at getting a Charter 2000 in 44 special but I just can't stand fixed sights on any gun.  :) Yes I know at the range these guns are made for adjustable sights aren't needed but I just can't stand fixed sights on any gun. As far as I am aware they are not being made with adjustable sights at this time. So my question is this; is it possible to have a adjustable rear sight put on and if so what kind of price range would I be looking at? Reasonable or not? By the way I know some of the old Charters had adjustable sights but I just don't like the way they feel in the hand. :cry:

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 03:41:42 PM »
SPW, I don't believe that you can easily add an adjustable sight.  There is not much metal there for cutting into.  The old Charter used to offer an adjustable sight 4" gun (I have one, like it very much), but Charter 2000 has not seen fit to do so.  You will find that Charters have plenty of front sight height.  I have always had to file them down a little to bring the impact to the sights.  Just pick your favorite load, and file them to match.  It's not hard to find a good load, I keep expermenting with different combinations but always come back to a 245 gr SWC over 7.5 gr Unique for just about everything except defense.  For that I use Blazer 200 gr hp in my 3" fixed sight Charter and file the sight down to point of aim at 15 yds.  My 4" w/adj sights is set for 25 yards.  That Charter is not as pretty as some, but is a good, servicable gun that is very dependable.  Ken Kelly at Mag-na-port can give that gun a real slick trigger pull if you would like.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline kbmoly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 06:12:13 AM »
Hi 44 Man,

It's sort of neat how closely we dovetail:  I have the fixed sight .44 Bulldog for carry, and my favorite load is almost a duplicate of yours, the 240g Keith semi-wadcutter, though I use only 7.0g Unique.  This combo shoots dead on for me, making great practice.  On a couple of ocassions, I've put all five in a paper plate from 50 yards, and when I don't, it's sure not the gun or ammo.

For carry, I also use the the Silvertips, but the POI shift isn't significant to me:  I can see it being annoying if your target is a string or a Necco waffer, but if it's a big burley chest at ten or twenty feet, it's no biggie to me:  you don't get extra points if your slug is dead center in the X-ring, or it's half an inch away:  It's same-same:  equal value, either way.

I also have a .22 Target Bulldog with adjustable sights.  Really sweet, though I don't shoot it as much (prefer the Redhawk).

Regards,
kbmoly
Cast bullet enthusiast, former gunsmith, Reload for just about all common calibers, and a few very uncommon ones.