Author Topic: What happened here?  (Read 882 times)

Offline Paroxsym

• Trade Count: (0)
What happened here?
« on: May 09, 2012, 11:36:43 AM »
Took a trip out to the range yesterday with the intentions of shooting a short video so I could examine my trigger squeeze and other things. While I was shooting the video I managed to have my first-ever malfunction with my Ruger P95, but I can't decide if it was a problem with the gun or with the ammo. Heres how it went down: Fired a round, and was going to do a decently fast paced double-tap, the second round fires but the slide does not move, spent casing still in the chamber, no felt recoil, nothing...but the hammer resets in single-action even though it appears the slide was stationary. Here is where it gets complicated, you can see in the video that I squeezed the trigger for the second round, but it was not far enough back to release the hammer, the round also does not "sound" right when it fires almost like it didn't have the correct powder charge. I put the video on youtube, take a look and see what you guys think, I'm at a loss on this one. Any help figuring this out would be appreciated, hoping that its ammo related or something I can fix myself, right now its my only gun and I don't want to ship it back to Ruger and be without it for a few weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsnDbHy00_A&feature=plcp
U.S. Army "This We'll Defend"
   -Veteran

Offline Ken ONeill

Re: What happened here?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 12:42:39 PM »
Most likely a too-light powder charge and resulting incomplete cycle, in my opinion.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 12:42:47 PM »
Well I wonder if you did not have a squib load.
No powder, and under charge or fouled powder that caused the gun to not extract bvecause there was not enough powder to move the slide.
When you ejected the empty cae nad checked the breach I was suprised and cringed to watch you shoot the last two thinking that you may have had a projectile in the barrel.  and depending one where in the barrel you can buldge it where the slide will not come back.
Next time, please be safe and unload the mag, and stick a cleaning rod  through the barrel to make sure it is clear and protect your self and your firearm.

Offline Paroxsym

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 02:33:24 PM »
Yeah I admit that I didn't think about anything being stuck in the barrel until after the fact, something to remember if it ever happens again.
   -Veteran

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 02:34:51 PM »
What was that thing that flew off to the video left when you made the shot? I looked several times and it almost looked like a bullet or something.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Paroxsym

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 03:02:14 PM »
What was that thing that flew off to the video left when you made the shot? I looked several times and it almost looked like a bullet or something.

Holy cow good eye, I completely missed that. To be honest I don't know, when I picked up all my brass I don't remember seeing any bullets on the ground.
   -Veteran

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 12:53:42 AM »
You got lucky----REAL LUCKY!
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 11:15:42 AM »
It might have something to do with the little dance you do with your trigger finger between shots.  Look at the video again and watch the squeeze and unsqueeze between each shot.  I'm no expert (well, actually I am), but I would work on that.  If you ever need to use follow up shots in a non-practice situation, that might slow you down.  Just kidding about that being the cause of the malfunction.  Probably an ammo problem.