Author Topic: WTK: Value of Original Ellsworth cannon?  (Read 1318 times)

Offline tal35

• Trade Count: (0)
WTK: Value of Original Ellsworth cannon?
« on: May 10, 2012, 10:42:23 AM »
Friend has one he is looking to sell , very rare piece I know, what are they worth? Where to find buyer if he wanted to sell?  Low s/n on it.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: WTK: Value of Original Ellsworth cannon?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 01:06:50 PM »
I'd be happy to take a stab at evaluating it.  Preferably, for benefit of other board members, post many sharp photos of it here, with all marks, describe bore condition, does it work perfectly, carriage? or not, etc. I collect and deal in cannons of all kinds.

Offline tal35

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 04:04:16 AM »
It will be awhile before I can get pics, it is a low s/n single digit and was aquired in the 60's . At one time he was offered 50k for it by a collector.

Offline Co. Batguano

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 04:57:29 AM »
These "I was offered ____" numbers are often rather soft offers.  If a guy had a checkbook in his hand at the time I might be inclined to believe it.  Otherwise, it's often bluster.

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 11:00:40 AM »
Is this gun in Mn?  on a carriage?

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 01:22:30 PM »
it is a low s/n single digit

That's nice but with cannons, and especially those with very low total production, a low s/n has little significance in  the actual pricing.  An exception might be s/n 1, which might bring a premium.
An old offer the owner declined carries no weight now.  When a seller hits me with the "I been offered..." (usually exactly the way they say it)) I just take it as a sign of his inexperience in doing business deals and I make allowances for it.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 02:10:13 PM »
 :)

Offline tal35

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 05:11:49 PM »
No it isnt Minn. , I have no reason to doubt the friend of mine, as he doent tell stories about offered this and that, nor does he need the money. It was a checkbook offer, at the time, and since the person that made the offer has passed away. Just how many originals of these guns are in exisrtance? 30-35? Lincold ordered around 20 of them I believe. I was thinking  that mosrt went to Harpers Ferry?
I do doubt it is a $500 cannon though.haha

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 08:22:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum, tal35. I recall reading somewhere that around 5 of these rifles still exist, and 30-35 would be closer to the total production of this gun.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 06:01:42 AM »
Duplicate self delete

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 07:26:11 AM »
Ok, I dug out my Registry, and there are eight Ellsworth rifles extant (five of those being privately owned).
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 09:36:25 AM »
Thank you, Cannoneer! 

Ok, I dug out my Registry, and there are eight Ellsworth rifles extant (five of those being privately owned).

Offline tal35

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 02:32:45 AM »
I will see what the s/n of the cannon is.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 02:37:03 AM »
Would be very nice of you to post some pictures of the item.  A lot of cannons get mis-identified by word descriptions without photos.

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 05:03:50 AM »
I to would be itnerested in seeing some photos. I veiwed 4 of them when I was researching and building our reproductions. 35 would be a good total if you were to count the "dozen" guns sent to Kanas before the civil war.(1856) These guns were differnt than the civil war guns being smaller in dia. and smooth bored. Jim Bender wrote a article for the Artilleryman mag. on it a few years back.

Bob