Author Topic: Bullet weight for 223 Contender 21" carbine  (Read 631 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Bullet weight for 223 Contender 21" carbine
« on: May 11, 2012, 04:56:38 PM »
What is the max weight this barrel will stabilize?  What safe velocity can I expect from a Contender.

Offline 1armoured

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Bullet weight for 223 Contender 21" carbine
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 05:57:58 PM »
Do you know the exact twist rate of your barrel ?

Chart for TC barrel twist rates;

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/chart_contender.php

although I have heard that older barrels can have different twist rates.

With a 1:12", you would expect to accurately stabilise from 40 - 60gr typical flat base lead core/spitzer type projectiles,
but might also depend on the length and weight distribution of the projectile, and the altitude, when marginal.

A 1:9" would expect to stabilise from 40 - 73gr typical lead core projectiles.

With a 1:14, then around 55gr would probably be the heaviest projectile weight, although lighter pills, esp the ballistic tips would probably group better at shorter distances.

As ever, take advice and guidelines with a pinch of salt,
as I have personally found that barrels and projectiles are not always equal, and ones own experiences and results always rule !

The Contender should handle any safe .223 load, if not, you can sue TC, ...that is if you live !  :)

Maximum velocity will depend on the lightest weight projectile that will stabilise.
A 40 gr will probably do 3,500fps with the optimum fast powder.

With a heavy projectile ?
You might get less than 3,000 fps with a 60gr
and a bit more less with the 70gr.
but again, as ever, you need to work up with these loads, and the brass and powder that you are using.

I believe that the TC is recommended to handle a max of 48,000cpu, although it is probably tested in excess of this.
.223 maximum loads, depending on powder and cartridge used can exceed this pressure, so take care.

(I always remind myself of how close the rear of that action is to my face !)

I prefer to develop accuracy (grouping) loads rather than velocity.

cheers,
SS

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 10:23:04 AM »
Like the man said , it will depend on the twist of the barrel , type of bullet and the powder & brass being used , however his numbers were just about spot on .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 11:26:07 AM »
Thanks fellows.  I wasn't sure if loading data for standard rifles could also be used with Contenders in this caliber.  Only other caliber I shoot in a Contender is 7-30W and I use pistol data in my carbine barrel as well as my 14" barrel.

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:06:46 PM »
The link to the T/C chart shows 1:10 for the 30-30.  The early 30-30 and 30 Herrett barrels were 1:14. Either would be fine with 150gr and probably up to 170gr bullets. The 1:10 would only come into play at the heavier bullets, if you wanted to go into 200 or 220gr.
T/C envisioned the use of light, fast bullets as 110 and 125gr such as developed by Herrett and Milek for the 30 Herrett.  In 10'' barrels this is sound reasoning.