Author Topic: Boehner to Obama on Deficit War: 'This Is a Line in the Sand'  (Read 1049 times)

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
Boehner to Obama on Deficit War: 'This Is a Line in the Sand'Speaker John Boehner has set the House on a collision course with the Obama administration, insisting that he won’t allow an increase in the debt ceiling unless the raise is offset by an equal or greater amount of spending cuts.

“When the time comes, I will again insist on my simple principle of cuts and reforms greater than the debt limit increase,” the Ohio Republican said Tuesday at a Washington event hosted by the Peter G. Peterson Foundation, an organization that urges deficit reduction.

“This is the only avenue I see right now to force the elected leadership of this country to solve our structural fiscal imbalance.”

The debt ceiling allows the federal government to continue to pay its bills without the risk of default. At the end of the year the government will reach its $16.394 trillion borrowing limit.

Boehner last year forced the Obama administration and congressional Democrats to agree to match a debt ceiling increase with spending cuts, after a showdown that almost led the federal government to default on its debts.

White House spokesman Jay Carney said in response to Boehner’s threat: “We cannot hold the full faith and credit of the United States government hostage to one party’s political agenda.”

The administration wants to sever the debt-limit issue from negotiations on taxes and spending to avoid the possibility of political gridlock and government default, the Wall Street Journal reported.

And Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner said at the Peter G. Peterson Foundation event that he hopes Washington can raise the debt limit “without the drama and the pain and the damage” of last year.

The New York Times attacked Boehner’s vow on Tuesday, calling it “extortion.”

The Times editorial stated: “Washington’s need to deal with the long-term deficit can be met only with a combination of new revenues and rational cuts, not extortion. The overly deep cuts in last year’s deal were necessary only because Republicans refused to end tax cuts for the rich.”

But Boehner said on Tuesday: “This is a line in the sand because Washington has kicked the can down the road, kicked the can down the road, kicked the can down the road, and the American people think we’re crazy.”

The annual federal budget is about $3.8 trillion, and the government expects to bring in about $2.5 trillion in revenue this year, so Geithner said the government will likely hit its borrowing limit later this year.

The debt limit debate threatens to become the latest standoff between Democrats and Republicans on fiscal issues. Democrats want a mix of tax increases and spending cuts to reduce the deficit, while Republicans have called for spending cuts and overhauls of entitlement programs like Medicare.

The Obama administration vows that it won’t extend the Bush tax cuts next year for families making more than $250,000 a year, and many GOP legislators insist they won’t vote to raise taxes.

Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney weighed in on the standoff on Tuesday, telling voters in Iowa: “I do not, for one moment, share my opponent’s belief that our spending problems can be solved with more taxes. You do not owe Washington a bigger share of your paycheck.”

Read more on Newsmax.com: 
Boehner to Obama on Deficit War: 'This Is a Line in the Sand'
Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election?
Vote Here Now!

Read more on Newsmax.com: 
Boehner to Obama on Deficit War: 'This Is a Line in the Sand'
Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election?
Vote Here Now!
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
Re: Boehner to Obama on Deficit War: 'This Is a Line in the Sand'
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 10:07:39 AM »
That is all fine and good until the sand shifts and it will.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 01:00:51 PM »
Just WOW! How can anyone excuse such financial foolishness. Taking the figures quoted for a dept of 16.4 trillion, an annual deficit of 1.3 trillion over an income of 2.5 trillion, that means the debt is already 6.5 years worth of total income and we're spending 52% more this year than we are taking in. To put that in perspective, if you had an income of $100,000 per, (I wish)  you would be spending $152,000, thus adding $52,000 per year to your existing debt of $650,000.  And the clowns are not even talking about balancing the budget, just haggling over how much more deficit to run!    NITWITERY!!
I don't doubt that the ultra-rich could and possibly should pay more taxes but that won't amount to a drop in the bucket of our deficit spending. Like ever other politician's lie, talking up the "buffet rule" is just a sideshow to distract attention from the reality that we can't tax our way out of this mess. Those figures make it clear that this country does not have an income problem we have a spending problem. >:(
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 04:20:14 AM »
You also have a control problem. It sure as Hades isn't "We the People" that call the shots :-\ ........... ooops that may be a wrong term to use here. ;)
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 05:14:35 AM »
Instead of a line in the sand, it should be a barricade with machine guns.  they were sent by the tea-party to do a job and they haven't done squat.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 06:25:18 AM »
Hope   Boehner   stands   his   ground  &  dont   give   in  .   A  Rep.   majority   in   the   Senate   would    help.

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 06:31:53 AM »
Hope   Boehner   stands   his   ground  &  dont   give   in  .   A  Rep.   majority   in   the   Senate   would    help.

Won't happen. The repubs cave in every time these days. They have their snouts in the trough too you know.
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 08:24:51 AM »
Even if they stand their ground that is no solution. They are haggling over a few million with a deficit of 1.5 TRILLION. It's like little boys arguing on the school yard, all about who saves face when it really doesn't make any difference since both are wrong.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 08:54:46 AM »

Won't happen. The repubs cave in every time these days. They have their snouts in the trough too you know.

"snouts in the trough " not that was good ! its clasic. I can't wait to use it somewhere . It says it about as plain as it could be said ...
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 09:24:55 AM »
Lines in the sand are easily erased.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 06:53:33 AM »
The   U.S.   dollar    is   going    to   be   the   equivlent   to   the   monopoly   game   money   if    this    deficit   keeps   building.

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 07:49:33 AM »
What is a Tobin Tax?

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 08:37:37 AM »
You know what? Both parties need to figure out this simple factoid!

When you find yourself caught in a hole.........QUIT DIGGING!!!!!!!!!!!
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 02:38:54 PM »
Lines in the sand are easily erased.

This episode of Bugs Bunny is all you need to know about "lines in the sand".

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline LunaticFringeInc

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 09:47:12 PM »
What is a Tobin Tax?
Tobin Tax is a tax on currency transactions, but also a variation is a sales tax on financial investment transactions which now have no sales tax whatsoever, which is I recall is some where ard 65$ trillion/year  Some believe a simple 0.5% to 1% Tobin tax would handle US debt in a few years and place the expense on those who caused or benefitted from the debt instead of transferring to us peasants....Pretty good article on Tobin, a Noble economist, and variations of this tax on wikipedia.
..TM7

No it wouldnt be a solution as it would be a green light go to spend even more on wasteful government funded policies and institutions.  The current administration has no intention what so ever of even slowing down the spending today or tomorrow or next year if they win the re-election.  Just watch and see since I know you doubt me.

Offline magooch

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 04:33:26 AM »
Lunatic is right, any increase in taxation would most likely cause a slowdown in the economy, which would result in less revenue to the government and the cycle would continue.

Boehner is right to demand cuts, but he is realist enough to know that we're too far in the toilet and we're just milling around hoping that the flush is delayed for a while longer.  What's really annoying is that there are a lot of cuts that should be a no-brainer and those won't even be brought up.
Swingem