Author Topic: OKLAHOMA to require drug testing for welfare.  (Read 1161 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
OKLAHOMA to require drug testing for welfare.
« on: May 16, 2012, 05:30:15 PM »
http://www.yahoo.com/_ylt=AvwXIlygqxPnCApWdxtVEq2bvZx4;_ylu=X3oDMTVqMGlzczg1BGEDT2tsYWhvbWEgd2VsZmFyZSBhcHBsaWNhbnRzIHRvIGZhY2UgZHJ1ZyBzY3JlZW5pbmcEY2NvZGUDcHpidWFsbGNhaDUEY3BvcwM2BGcDaWQtMjI4NzE2NQRpbnRsA3VzBG1jb2RlA3B6YnVhbGxjYWg1BG1wb3MDNwRwa2d0AzIEcG9zAzEEc2VjA3RkLXBvbARzbGsDdGl0bGUEdGVzdAM3MDEEd29lAzEyNzc1MTUw/SIG=138366qqk/EXP=1337311823/**http%3A//news.yahoo.com/oklahoma-welfare-applicants-face-drug-screening-232747446.html

Oklahoma welfare applicants to face drug screeningReutersBy Steve Olafson | Reuters – 3 hrs ago         OKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) - Oklahoma will require welfare applicants to submit to screening for illegal drug use under a bill signed into law on Wednesday by Republican Governor Mary Fallin.
Oklahoma became the fourth state this year to approve such a measure, joining Utah, Georgia and Tennessee. Fourteen other states had similar proposals pending, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.
The law takes effect on November 1 for adults who apply in Oklahoma to the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program for benefits. Applicants will be denied benefits if they fail the test or refuse to submit to screening.
"Hard working taxpayers shouldn't be asked to subsidize drug abuse, and this bill will help to ensure they are not," Fallin said in a statement.
Applicants who test positive for illegal drug use and undergo substance abuse treatment may reapply for benefits six months after their denial.
Drug screening will not be required in cases involving just children or underage parents, and an alternate recipient may be named if a parent has been denied benefits.
When the measure first passed the Oklahoma House in March, Democrats opposed to the proposal tacked on an amendment that would have required all candidates for public office in Oklahoma to undergo a drug test. The amendment was dropped in the Senate.
Since federal welfare reform in 1996, many states have proposed drug testing welfare recipients. Michigan became the first state to require testing, but its law was struck down as unconstitutional by the Michigan state appeals court in 2003.
Florida approved a law last year requiring drug screening for welfare applicants, but a federal judge blocked it temporarily. Arizona and Missouri also approved similar laws last year.
(Reporting By Steve Olafson; Editing by David Bailey and Peter Cooney)   
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
Re: OKLAHOMA to require drug testing for welfare.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 12:47:15 AM »
http://www.yahoo.com/_ylt=AvwXIlygqxPnCApWdxtVEq2bvZx4;_ylu=X3oDMTVqMGlzczg1BGEDT2tsYWhvbWEgd2VsZmFyZSBhcHBsaWNhbnRzIHRvIGZhY2UgZHJ1ZyBzY3JlZW5pbmcEY2NvZGUDcHpidWFsbGNhaDUEY3BvcwM2BGcDaWQtMjI4NzE2NQRpbnRsA3VzBG1jb2RlA3B6YnVhbGxjYWg1BG1wb3MDNwRwa2d0AzIEcG9zAzEEc2VjA3RkLXBvbARzbGsDdGl0bGUEdGVzdAM3MDEEd29lAzEyNzc1MTUw/SIG=138366qqk/EXP=1337311823/**http%3A//news.yahoo.com/oklahoma-welfare-applicants-face-drug-screening-232747446.html

Oklahoma welfare applicants to face drug screeningReutersBy Steve Olafson | Reuters – 3 hrs ago         OKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) - Oklahoma will require welfare applicants to submit to screening for illegal drug use under a bill signed into law on Wednesday by Republican Governor Mary Fallin.
Oklahoma became the fourth state this year to approve such a measure, joining Utah, Georgia and Tennessee. Fourteen other states had similar proposals pending, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.
The law takes effect on November 1 for adults who apply in Oklahoma to the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program for benefits. Applicants will be denied benefits if they fail the test or refuse to submit to screening.
"Hard working taxpayers shouldn't be asked to subsidize drug abuse, and this bill will help to ensure they are not," Fallin said in a statement.
Applicants who test positive for illegal drug use and undergo substance abuse treatment may reapply for benefits six months after their denial.
Drug screening will not be required in cases involving just children or underage parents, and an alternate recipient may be named if a parent has been denied benefits.
When the measure first passed the Oklahoma House in March, Democrats opposed to the proposal tacked on an amendment that would have required all candidates for public office in Oklahoma to undergo a drug test. The amendment was dropped in the Senate.
Since federal welfare reform in 1996, many states have proposed drug testing welfare recipients. Michigan became the first state to require testing, but its law was struck down as unconstitutional by the Michigan state appeals court in 2003.
Florida approved a law last year requiring drug screening for welfare applicants, but a federal judge blocked it temporarily. Arizona and Missouri also approved similar laws last year.
(Reporting By Steve Olafson; Editing by David Bailey and Peter Cooney)   
+1 :)

Offline Duke0313

• Contributor
  • I am the way, the truth, and the life. -John 14:6
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 12:55:37 AM »
C'mon, TEXAS....catch up!!!
"Republic:  I like the sound of the word -- means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, however they choose.  Some words give you a deep feeling.  Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat. -John Wayne- The Alamo

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 03:00:34 AM »
"When the measure first passed the Oklahoma House in March, Democrats opposed to the proposal tacked on an amendment that would have required all candidates for public office in Oklahoma to undergo a drug test."

The above should be applied to any state that requires drug testing of any state workers, welfare applicants or any other group in the state. Not only candidates but random testing from the governor on down when in office including for alcohol.
GuzziJohn

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 03:04:45 AM »
Another +1
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 03:11:16 AM »
"When the measure first passed the Oklahoma House in March, Democrats opposed to the proposal tacked on an amendment that would have required all candidates for public office in Oklahoma to undergo a drug test."

The above should be applied to any state that requires drug testing of any state workers, welfare applicants or any other group in the state. Not only candidates but random testing from the governor on down when in office including for alcohol.
GuzziJohn
Now there is a great idea!  Anybody who is receiving taxpayer funds should be tested.  If they are government workers, their work and safety could be affected by their drug use.  For those accepting government funds in some program, if they have enough money to buy drugs, they don't need our money for other purposes.  By the way, have you noticed that many of the "poor" have enough cash to supply their cigarette habit?

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 03:37:57 AM »

GuzziJohn
Now there is a great idea!  Anybody who is receiving taxpayer funds should be tested.  If they are government workers, their work and safety could be affected by their drug use.  For those accepting government funds in some program, if they have enough money to buy drugs, they don't need our money for other purposes. By the way, have you noticed that many of the "poor" have enough cash to supply their cigarette habit?

At least we can take comfort in knowing that almost half of the cost per pack, will go back into the Governments coffers! A Phillip Morris study found about 56% of the cost is tax.
 The state of Washington being the Highest taxed. 4.00 per packExcise tax in Wa.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline tcencore3006

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 03:52:46 AM »
I am starting to wonder is drug testing should be required for politicians as well!
Newest toy? Smith & Wesson 4006

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 04:39:08 AM »
Yeah test em!
I just love when people have to PROVE THEY ARE INNOCENT!!!!

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 06:00:01 AM »
+1
GuzziJohn

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 10:17:18 AM »
I suppose the DOJ or some other outfit will try to block that.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
Yeah test em!

Interesting! You apparently equate applying for a hand out with being adjudicated in a court of law?

Nobody is being adjudicated here. They are, however, proving that they are eligible for the handout they are seeking.
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 03:22:54 PM »
Yeah test em!

Interesting! You apparently equate applying for a hand out with being adjudicated in a court of law?

Nobody is being adjudicated here. They are, however, proving that they are eligible for the handout they are seeking.

Correct!!
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 03:29:26 PM »
I am starting to wonder is drug testing should be required for politicians as well!
How about anyone getting a regular check from the Federal government.
Welfare, Foodstamps, Government employees, ellected officials, and those collecting a pension.

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 03:43:56 PM »
Welfare, Foodstamps, Government employees, ellected officials, and those collecting a pension.

Uh....I'm a federal employee. And I'm subject to drug testing at any given moment. Most of us are.

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 04:10:01 PM »

Uh....I'm a federal employee. And I'm subject to drug testing at any given moment. Most of us are.

OK what I was trying to say is that if one is, all should be.
When was your last test?
Are there any punishments if you fail a test?
If there are the same punishments should be the same across the board. 

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 04:18:01 PM »
Three weeks ago.
I get fired if I fail.
Insofar as I know, everyone gets treated the same....at least within the agency I work for.

Of course, some are treated "more equal" than others. ::)

A number of years ago an employee got nailed with a bad test. That person immediately went to the union, took administrative leave, then enrolled in a "treatment program". After which he returned to work and the union negotiated a transfer to another department for him. Ultimately that person was able to retire at a much higher pay grade than he could have managed within his original job.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 04:20:42 PM »
No I ment anyone collecting a federal check, ellected officials and all.
Once a year on a random schedule and if the ellected official fails he gets terminated.  Can you say special ellection!

Offline Duke0313

• Contributor
  • I am the way, the truth, and the life. -John 14:6
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 04:54:19 PM »
I'm a DoD contractor and we, too, are subject to testing at any time. I've got no problem with that.
"Republic:  I like the sound of the word -- means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, however they choose.  Some words give you a deep feeling.  Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat. -John Wayne- The Alamo

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 05:55:27 PM »
Once a year on a random schedule and if the ellected official fails he gets terminated.  Can you say special ellection!

Drug testing little old ladies that receive a Social Security check? :o    That could get messy.

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 12:39:28 AM »
Wizz quiz for the Congress Critters!  This country needs it.  I think that democrats and republicans alike can agree that when you look at the decisions our 'leadership' makes, they must be high.  Besides, if they are going to mandate drug testing for their constituents, they should lead by example.

Seriously.  Drug testing for welfare elligability makes sense, so does drug testing for government employees.  That means blue collar, white collar and elected employees.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 03:32:05 AM »

Drug testing little old ladies that receive a Social Security check? :o    That could get messy.

ST762
Social Security is a Ponzi scheeme Annuity that was paid for by the recipiants.   Think about this if you were allowed to put 2/3 rds of your social security payments into a private annuity you would not need social security and you would be able to pass it on to your loved ones. 
But I was thinking more of the people recieving food stamp money that is federally funded on the state level as well as any making the ellected and appointed governement workers (with the amount they are paid we can no longer call it public service) follow those same rules and regulations.

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 04:23:06 AM »
(with the amount they are paid we can no longer call it public service)

Oh really?!?!?! I'm curious, how much do you think that is?

Offline blind ear

• eddiegjr
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 06:07:01 AM »
I think members of Congress should be required to have a minimum IQ score as well. The intelligence of the voters would come into play then.  Dang, never mind, we don't have a chance of common sence ruleing.
-
There needs to be a "Common Sence Quotent" test. At this point in time it is doubtfull that the country as a whole would pass it. Guess we will know in a few months. We're done. ear
Oath Keepers: start local
-
“It is no coincidence that the century of total war coincided with the century of central banking.” – Ron Paul, End the Fed
-
An economic crash like the one of the 1920s is the only thing that will get the US off of the road to Socialism that we are on and give our children a chance at a future with freedom and possibility of economic success.
-
everyone hears but very few see. (I can't see either, I'm not on the corporate board making rules that sound exactly the opposite of what they mean, plus loopholes) ear
"I have seen the enemy and I think it's us." POGO
St Judes Childrens Research Hospital

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 03:40:18 AM »
-
There needs to be a "Common Sence Quotent" test. At this point in time it is doubtfull that the country as a whole would pass it. Guess we will know in a few months. We're done. ear

With a 49% overall approval rating for Obama presently  I agree with your "We're Done".
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 05:26:04 AM »
(with the amount they are paid we can no longer call it public service)

Oh really?!?!?! I'm curious, how much do you think that is?
The Governer of Ca is currently drawing three pensions of over 400,000 before he gets his pay for his current position.
I think that is more thna enough to call it a problem and to call it a lot.
ten years ago only 7,000 federal government employees made over 100,000 a year.  Now there are more than 80,000 that do?
Years ago the idea was that a government employee gave up pay for a secure job and pension.  Now these same government fuctionaries are making more than most private sector with pensions that far exceede the private sector.
I see a problem when the ellected officials have written themselves huge pay raises and generous pensions.

Offline powderman

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 11:58:34 AM »
I don't consider ssi as welfare. Most of us have paid in on it for many years, we've EARNED it. Welfare is another matter all together. It was designed as a lift up, not a way of life and is badly abused. YES, drug test the baby incubators. Test + , lose your check. There are other programs to care for the kids, but no reason to support mama, or daddy, if our tax $s are buying their dope. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm