Author Topic: ?'s about core-lokt 30-06 offering.  (Read 826 times)

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
?'s about core-lokt 30-06 offering.
« on: May 19, 2012, 08:06:25 AM »
I used to re-load all my centerfire ammo, for all my guns. time don't allow it anymore. searched the web for days, but would like more experiences with rems 180 gr. round nose core-lokt given. thats 30-06. just realized theres not a "factory ammo disscussion" so I stuck it here. so far I have heard that they have an hourglass jacket, unlike pointed corelokts, that really holds them together. Also that they have thicket jackets. I'd like to know how they perform on deer. lungshots, shoulder shots. do they open up good? thanks for any replies!  :)

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
Re: ?'s about core-lokt 30-06 offering.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 10:15:23 AM »
Sorry I can't reply with experience on the 180's. All of my experience is with the 150's, which is all I think anyone needs in the .30-06 for deer. Every animal I have shot (exotic deer and hogs) with the .30-06 was the 150 grain Remington factory load Core-Lokt. All of them went down where they were hit and didn't get up. My aim is vertical cross hair in line with the front leg and horizontal cross hair about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of stomach/chest. If I don't have that shot, I don't take it.

I couldn't ask for anything more than that bullet has done for me. I recently sold my .30-06 and will switch to using my .308. I will start using that same Remington 150 grain Core-lokt for my .308 and not question what it can do on deer sized game out to further than I can shoot.

By the way, the Remington Core-lokt is my favorite (deer/hog) bullet...in case anyone didn't catch that in my writing above.

Good Luck!!

B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 11:10:06 AM »
Best deer bullet I've ever shot. Back in my early days of deer hunting using Remington 742 and 760 it was the only load I used. It opens fast and penetrates deep.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 11:49:56 AM »
While many complaints exist about 180g bullets in the 30/06 & 308, IMHO it just dosen't happen with the RN bullet.

I prefer the 180RN in my 30/06 loadings. Of those I really like the Corlokt and the Hornady bullets. To a lessor degree I have also used the Speer 180. But I find it a tougher bullet than either the Hornady or the Remington.

I think you could be FAR worse then the 180 Corlokt 30/06 ammo.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 12:28:42 PM »
I use the 180 grain Core-Lokts in my .30-06 because they are highly accurate and cheap.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 01:09:57 PM »
I've used 165's a little, but the vast majority of deer I've taken with my 06's have been with pointed 150's.  A complete pass through is deep enough in my book and I think all but a very few did just that.  I did load one box of round nose bullets and was pleasantly surprised by their accuracy.  I doubt the 180 has any unique manufacturing properties that other core lokt bullets don't, but I don't know that for a fact, just never heard so.

Offline LanceR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 01:53:48 AM »
Call the Remington ammo factory in Lonoke, AR at 501-676-3161 if yo have any design questions.  I've never heard of any hourglass jacket.  In any case the 150 and 180 grain CORE-LOKT bullets are stone cold deer stoppers.  I've used both in 30-06 and .308 and used the 180s in a 30-338 Win Mag wildcat.

Lance

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 03:27:34 AM »
Most of the Corelokt line has been changed by going to a thinner jacket. The 180gr RN is the same as it has been since Corelokts first came on the market. They're refered by some as a poor man's partition as they hold together better than the average cup and core bullets. I guess a cross section view of the RN bullets may look to some like an hour glass because of the cannelure but most cup and core bullets with a cannelure have the same look. I wish Remington would make a special run of the RN bullets for sale to reloaders. I'd buy some for sure.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein