Author Topic: Lee turret auto indexing.  (Read 1035 times)

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Lee turret auto indexing.
« on: May 19, 2012, 10:11:14 PM »
So I got me an idea. 

Anybody who has a lee turret knows about the little plastic "ratchet squares" that make the auto index feature work.  They are inside the collar in there, and everybody knows all about them for one reason - they suck.  You can buy them from lee, you buy ten of them, get tired of taking the collar apart and changing them out every time they strip out or get bent and won't fully index the press.  So I got me an idea! 

The auto index of the lee four hole is square.  And what fits a square peg just happens to be a 12 point hole.  What happens to have a 12 point hole are those ratcheting hand wrenches that have been out for a few years now.  So the simple version is put the auto index into one of these ratchets (it has to be a ratchet so it ratchets on the upstroke to not move the collar and stays put on the downstroke to make it rotate)  and make a mount to secure that to the ram to make it move up and down with it. 

My first question for all you fellas with a lee turret is - anybody try this?  With what success?  And have you come up with any other solutions besides what I'm throwing out here? 

My idea for a mount was to make it out of wood or hard rubber - something formable and that you can screw and nail and hammer and all of that.  drill out the part for the ram, and cut off one side so you can make a cuff out of metal strapping, pipe clamp, whatever to hold it tight to the ram.  The other side would be a cut out in the side to slide the handle of the wrench in - one to hold it in place, and two to keep it from twisting and making resistance on the index rod.  Maybe even use two pieces of plywood on the top and bottom of the wrench handle, with two bolts running straight down through the wood and the wrench handle - that would hold very tight.  Cut out the plywood with a boring bit just a little big bigger than the ram and cut off about 1/3 of the hole to give room for a strap - then wrap the ram with some thin rubber or some electrical tape to give it good grip, slide the wood down over it, and put two metal straps with screws through them into the wood to hold it right to the ram. 

That would mess up the prime cycle.... but I usually prime separately.  I guess if you wanted to use the auto prime, you could use the same idea, but instead of metal straps and clamps on the side, you could put a bolt through the back side of the wood, splitting the wood down the middle so it would act like a clamp.  - kind of like the design of the current plastic clamp.... if you wanted to do it that way, you could probably only fit one strong piece of plywood on the wrench so it would fit on the collar it was designed for... anyways.... this project is out a couple weeks so I was just wondering if there were any ideas out there...

"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline corbanzo

Re: Lee turret auto indexing.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 10:17:42 PM »
I was just thinking.... If I had a welder....  Weld the ratchet wrench to a pair of vice grips for a mount....  do that just for the sake of man stuff!
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline topper88

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 12:45:37 PM »
I think it's a great idea but wouldn't you have to move the handle more than once to index the turret a full move?  Maybe I don't understand the principal.  I move my turret by hand.  Was thinking about buying a supply of the plastic thingy's.  With all their experience in engineering materials, you think they would have made it out of the glass reinforced material the powder discs are made of.

I'm getting tired of turning, just did 500 rounds and could have spent half the time and effort if the indexing worked.  If you come up with something let me know.  ebay is just waiting for such an invention.  You could market it there.  I'll buy one if a picture or youtube video is posted.

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 08:04:21 PM »
Well, I don't know if I'm looking to market anything... my home time is short and sweet enough int he first place (I'm oilfield trash.  ;))

But I will do a how to while I do it if it does come about working correctly. 

The idea behind the system then have in place now is that the index bar has a 90 degree twist in it, so that the square plastic deal is free to spin around the bar on the upstroke with nothing holding it in place, but then on the downstroke it engages a mount on the inside of the  plastic mounting piece that connects to the ram that doesn't allow it spin, and therefor turns the index bar and therefor the turret.  The main problem with their system is that while it is engaged, there is no way for it to ratchet, meaning if you try and change direction in the middle of a stroke or don't fully complete the stroke, you are going to bend the plastic.  The other main problem being that it is plastic and bends rather easily.

The metal box ratchet idea comes in so that being it is a one way ratchet, it has no way to bend and no way to be out of position, it will always fully index the press as long as you do the full downstroke from the top of the bend in the index bar, because it won't allow any slippage.  And also, if you do happen to change direction or pause for any reason or don't fully complete the stroke, there is nothing from it to disengage from, it is still a working ratchet, so therefor will not put any back pressure on the system like lee's "ratchet bushing" or whatever they call it. 

And also, if you did have some sort of problem with fully indexing the press... you could always go back up half and inch with the ram and it would give it just a bit more twist. 

I should be home and testing will ensue.  If you have any ideas for attaching the ratchet to the ram let me know.  Bolting it to a simple wooden clamp designed kind of like the current plastic clamp is the best idea I have so far.

Offline lrrice

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
    • Rice Custom Knives
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 04:42:35 AM »
Don't see why it wouldnt work.  Build a clamp that fits the ram, cut the wrench off to the proper size and weld them together.  if you left the switch in place you could just reverse it if you needed to short stroke.  On second thought, welding might damage the ratchet, you could make a clamp like an 8.  One side would hold the cut off wrench and the other would clamp to the ram.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 08:41:01 AM »
I may be mistaken but Lee made that piece out of plastic for a reason; it would strip before damage was done to the other parts of the indexing system. A "sacrificial" part. I have yet to replace mine after 5 years of use...

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »
Well that's pretty good luck from the feedback ive seen. I've gone through three of those suckers in a day. For me, they usually make it about 200-300 rounds and take a crap.

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 02:29:13 PM »
When I changed my old three hole over to four hole auto index I had heard of the problems with the plastic index thing so I bought extras.I've loaded several thousand rounds still on the first one.

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 07:18:29 PM »
Wish I had such luck!

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 11:44:14 AM »
Do a search on The High Road for Lee Classic 4 hole turret the plastic index coupler.Maybe one of the tips will help.  Good Luck

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 12:33:08 AM »
Seems like some good ideas. I will try some of their while I try mine and see if any of it holds water.

Offline Ready_Aim_Fire!

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 10:19:34 PM »
I stated with a lee turret press and I kept having problems with the plastic pieces breaking I sent it back to lee 3 different times for the same problem. Then I found a really great solution. sold the press at a gun show and bought a dillion 550B NO MORE PROBLEMS
Contender G1, 45 Win Mag BBL, 44Mag BBL, Rossi 92 .357, M1 Garand '44, M1 carbine '43, 1903 Mark I '19, Win 1300, Win. 94, USP45 FS CCW
Taurus 82

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 02:00:59 AM »
 I have went through a few myself, but I think I found the problem. Mine would work fine until I removed the square rod to do some rifle rounds. I have found that you need to be sure and have the ram all the way down when removing and replacing that square rod. Also when changing the turrets out.
That said I'll likely tear one up next time I use it, but they are cheep and I have run thousands of rounds through that press.

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 06:37:00 AM »

I only load 3-6k rounds a year... so don't really need a progressive.... plus loading for the 12+ calibers I do... those dillons start to get awful expensive! 

If I had the money lying around, I'd be all over it though.  ;)

I stated with a lee turret press and I kept having problems with the plastic pieces breaking I sent it back to lee 3 different times for the same problem. Then I found a really great solution. sold the press at a gun show and bought a dillion 550B NO MORE PROBLEMS

Offline painted horse

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 05:29:01 PM »
I've had my Classic Turret for about 4 years and have never had to replace that piece. If you're stripping them out you're doing something wrong...and I've never heard of anyone ruining 3 in one day...oops, yes I have... ;D  My "guess" would be you're turning the turret by hand when the ram is in the down position....

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 07:46:40 AM »

Offline shinjin

• Avid Poster
  • Robin Martin, retired LEO, CEO Public Safety Agenc
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 08:31:34 AM »
I gave up and hand turn the turret.