Author Topic: .223 Bull Barrel is way TOO MUCH weight forward...  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
.223 Bull Barrel is way TOO MUCH weight forward...
« on: May 21, 2012, 12:06:14 PM »
...on a synthetic tactical black smooth stock that I thought had a hole through it for reaching the stock bolt, but upon discovery is hollow!  I had thought to cut a long SST bolt to stuff in the "tube" to counterweight the barrel weight and give the rifle back some balance. 

I tried completely filling the hollow in the stock with copper plated steel BB's.  Too dense and they rattle.  No way is lead shot or a lead ingot going to be LESS weight.

I love the gun but unbalanced it is the pits to carry and shooting from a bench it wants to dip forward.  What else can I try? 

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
Re: .223 Bull Barrel is way TOO MUCH weight forward...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 12:10:20 PM »
...on a synthetic tactical black smooth stock that I thought had a hole through it for reaching the stock bolt, but upon discovery is hollow!  I had thought to cut a long SST bolt to stuff in the "tube" to counterweight the barrel weight and give the rifle back some balance. 

I tried completely filling the hollow in the stock with copper plated steel BB's.  Too dense and they rattle.  No way is lead shot or a lead ingot going to be LESS weight.

I love the gun but unbalanced it is the pits to carry and shooting from a bench it wants to dip forward.  What else can I try?

use it to beat somethin with... or swap barrels ::)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 12:19:10 PM »

I have one of those long square steel stock weights that used to come in the H&R stocks if you want it. I'd have to weigh it, but I bet it weighs a pound.

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 12:54:26 PM »

Wonder if lead shot or BBs suspended in blown foam or gorilla glue would get you the right density?
Might practice on a soup can. Put a pvc sleeve over the stock bolt first.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 01:00:42 PM »
If it's the Choate Varmint stock, the stock bolt is in the pistol grip, the stock itself is hollow as LO stated, just add the weight needed, preferable at the rear so it doesn't take as much, fill the front of the stock with packing peanuts for a temporary fix, or non-expanding foam for a more permanent fix, since the volume is very little, even a sock with lead shot may be all that's needs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
.223 Bull Barrel is way TOO MUCH weight forward...
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 01:02:41 PM »
I didn't realize he was talking about the Choate varmint stock. That stock weight I have won't work in that.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 01:12:25 PM »
My 223 Ultra Bull barrel came with cinnamon laminated stock and fore end. I do not think it too much different than my other Handi rifles as far as balance is concerned. It does weigh in at 9.5 pounds. My avatar is the 223 Ultra. My suggestion is to try it with a laminated stock or maybe even a regular pallet wood stock and see if the balance is better.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 02:00:51 PM »
I had a .17HMR Bull and solved the problem.........sold it.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 02:11:01 PM »
Cut and recrown ?

Offline Goatwhiskers

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 02:34:59 PM »
Mine has laminated butt and forend and I love it.  Nuff said.  Goat

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 01:40:08 AM »
If it's the Choate Varmint stock, the stock bolt is in the pistol grip, the stock itself is hollow as LO stated, just add the weight needed, preferable at the rear so it doesn't take as much, fill the front of the stock with packing peanuts for a temporary fix, or non-expanding foam for a more permanent fix, since the volume is very little, even a sock with lead shot may be all that's needs.

Tim

Good call.  Here are a few pictures.  Once it is balanced, I doubt I will ever take it apart again.  I love this barrel and the way in which this rifle shoots.  I am not a swapping barrel or reseller kind of Handi-holic.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 02:13:31 AM »
Foam in a length of pipe. Tape it to the stock to see if it has the balance you are looking for first. If you start on the light side you can add weight to the pipe till you get it right. Seal the pipe and you are finished.

Another thought, you might be able to find a stabilizer from an archery shop that would fill the bill. I have an old one that is mercury filled and absorbs the shock. I know many were made with oil fill and valving etc. There are some with lots of add on weight discs to get it right. Just a thought.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 05:52:51 AM »
L_O, that's not a Varmint stock, it's a standard old style syn stock, easiest way to rebalance it with the least amount of weight is stuff the front part of the stock with foam packing, I use the blocks that come in bullets a lot, once the forward part is stuffed, add some lead shot to a ziplok bag inside a sock, placed just ahead of the recoil pad it will balance it with minimal weight addition. The packing can easily be removed with a wire hanger if you ever need to access the stock bolt.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline casca1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 02:06:52 PM »
sand in a plastic bag
casca

I DON'T WANT NO MORE ARMY LIFE
PLEASE SIR,
I WANNA GO HOME
1983-1990

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 02:43:17 PM »
get a wooden stock

you kbow  i like my shorties

foam to the front with sand or lead to the back
 maybe  just sand......or water or some jack or crown
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Similkameen Hunter

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 03:59:22 PM »
cut the barrel to 18", that will make her more handy ...

read this  ;)   

http://www.tacticaloperations.com/SWATbarrel/

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 06:23:09 PM »
Whats the I.D. of the stock hollow?  I've got one of the solid steel Smith and Wesson recoil reducers (just a piece of chromed steel shaft, 1.00 diameter IIRC)  that you can have if you can use it.  Cut to whatever length you might need, a bit of shaping to allow for stock taper and then filled in with foam....

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 06:33:09 PM »
  Line the stock with plastic, preferrably a bag  then fill that bag with clear builder's calk & BBs.  That way you can have your weight and remove it too, if you want to change stocks.
  Actually, for steady, long range, rested shots ..I prefer a rifle to be somewhat nose-heavy..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 10:22:31 PM »
if you don't like stuffing the stock with weight consider chopping the barrel off to 16 1/2 inches or 17'' mine is 16 3/4 '' no crown shoots great but not light it has a laminate thumb hole stock on it barrel is a 1-12 twist shortening it didn't make any difference i accuracy i shot it a lot. ;D

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 11:07:15 PM »
back again. land owner is this 223 going to be another pig slayer ?.let us know how it works out. ;)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 12:23:20 AM »
 I didn't like all that weight up front on my .223 bull bbl either...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 01:03:58 AM »
ratdog, I will be shooting hogs and deer with it, provided certain restricting conditions are met.  Victor3 your Handi- is nearly BC length, but I am not in the cutting off mode.  demented, I will measure and confirm, but the .223 Handi- w/bull barrel is already a pussycat in terms of recoil, so the addition of weight, even S&W "Recoil Reducer" bar stock, is just for counter-weight and balance.  If I go that route we can work out a shipping arrangement. 
Actually, for steady, long range, rested shots ..I prefer a rifle to be somewhat nose-heavy...
so do I, but it's a sniper/hunting rifle.  The range work is just to get it tuned to carry into the tree stand where a rock steady rest awaits.  EmptyQuiver, I like your idea of foaming in a length of pipe.  Sort of makes the stock similar to the wooden stocks in which I am more familiar.  Everything has a balance.  Weighing the fore end, barrel and scope against the receiver and butt stock is my starting point.  Maybe a little weight forward isn't so bad.  I will let the Forum know how it turns out.

Offline hunter4626

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, 02:50:49 AM »
I would go to a new stock any type of wood stock would be an improvement to the syn. (sin could be used too, as it is a sin to do away with wood stocks) but I will admit to being a bit prejudiced.I will also admit to being a sinner as 2 of my handis have syn stocks. Seriously a monte carlo stock like I have on my 223 is the way to go.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2012, 10:49:37 AM »
  Funny how preferences run ..I've gon all to syns..

Victor, doesn't a short barrel like that..lose a bit of performance...or is it minimal ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 01:28:54 AM »
 At 18" I suppose I've lost a little velocity over what it was before I cut it, but it's just a <150 yd plinker (with its iron sights and my lousy eyes). I have a scoped CZ 527 for other .223 duties.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 02:03:34 PM »
  It sure is a nice looking rifle anyway..