Author Topic: Particle Size of BP  (Read 794 times)

Offline Parrott-Cannon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Particle Size of BP
« on: May 21, 2012, 03:03:53 PM »
Interesting video on impact of particle size on energy release.

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. (Thomas Jefferson)

Offline Artilleryman

Re: Particle Size of BP
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 04:12:47 PM »
Nice illustration.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 09:20:10 PM »
The video will get someone burned, unfortunately.  It is never a good idea to set off fast-burning energetic material using a match in your bare hand.  If a match is the only ignition method you can think of, at least wear a noncombustible glove of some kind.  A face shield is a good idea too.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 09:39:11 PM »
I'm not sure how relevant this is to our subject as it looked like they started with FFFg or FFFFg and then milled it to even smaller granulation.  Plus it was ignited without any containment which is also not relevant to use in guns, at least with shot.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Parrott-Cannon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 04:31:29 AM »
The significance is obvious.  For black powder of constant composition particle size impacts burning.  Therefore, for the same mass the same amount of gas is produced in a shorter time frame.  In a confined space this implies higher pressures in a shorter time period.  We must also kept in minded that the burning rate of black powder increases with pressure.  I agree about the method of ignition used in the video and would not use or support the use of the ignition method used in the video.
For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. (Thomas Jefferson)

Offline Cal.45

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 09:05:26 AM »
I believe, that he was using his home-made BP: that's non-granulated meal-powder.
If it was "real" BP, he'd burned himself with the first test.
His meal-powder actually burns off kind of slow! "Real" BP would disappear in an instant.

Offline Leatherneck

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 03:00:22 PM »
This got me thinking.

1. Is it possible to grind the powder down any finer than it is?
2. Are there any viable applications or advantages to that?

Im a reloader of smokeless powders, so educate me if you can.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 08:35:37 PM »
It is possible to grind it finer but that is not desirable for use in artillery.  Even FFFFg is too fine for anything other than bb size (steel air gun shot like for a Daisy, not bowling balls.)  Use the same size granulation as you would for a muzzleloading gun of a given caliber.  Once you get over 1.25" bore, use Cannon grade, although you can use Fg for golf balls in that caliber or even FFg for golf balls in golf ball mortars.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Rock6.3

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 03:13:48 PM »
It is possible to grind it finer but that is not desirable for use in artillery.  Even FFFFg is too fine for anything other than bb size (steel air gun shot like for a Daisy, not bowling balls.)  Use the same size granulation as you would for a muzzleloading gun of a given caliber.  Once you get over 1.25" bore, use Cannon grade, although you can use Fg for golf balls in that caliber or even FFg for golf balls in golf ball mortars.

Where is cannon grade black powder and fuse found at reasonable prices these days?
(golf ball mortar and possible soda can mortar)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 06:17:19 PM »
Where is cannon grade black powder and fuse found at reasonable prices these days?

I guess you have to define reasonable.  Last summer I bought 25 lbs from Coonies that cost about $16.50 a pound including shipping to Cut Bank, MT.  At least that is what I remember it as costing.  I thought I put a post about it in the CBCC II thread but could not find it.

Fuse you can get from cannonfuse.com.
GG
--Winston Churchill