Author Topic: I just heard about this 1t day thing.....  (Read 1075 times)

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
I just heard about this 1t day thing.....
« on: May 22, 2012, 09:05:42 PM »
So I guess the whole "occupy" movement did a deal about this 1T day, where student debt is over 1 trillion dollars..... and they want to get rid of student debt.....

Communist.  Just going to say it. 

Anyways....  back to my original thoughts.  I went to college, have a couple of degrees, borrowed money, have never missed a payment (well, one about five years ago I think because I wasn't paying attention, oops! - thank you automatic payments!).  Here are the facts, about me, and every other student out there.

1. I made a decision to go to college to better myself and broaden my opportunities.
2. To help myself out in college, I asked for, and was given loan money.
3. I was given this money, as a loan - which you pay back.
4. Money doesn't grow on trees, and changes value, if there is no interest on a loan, the debtor loses money, and no longer has money to lend.
5. I appreciate them HELPING me.  Yes, they helped me.  I owe them money.  And I'm glad - so I have no problem paying interest.

Basically, I don't understand these idiots.  You ask for help, you are given help, then you tell the person who helped you to #$^& off??  How would you ever have that mindset in the first place?  I think colleges should have bookies to teach these good for nothing unappreciative lazy idiots a lesson in reality. 

And I also believe that if you don't pay your student debt, any degrees or honors or certifications should be repossessed. 

The complete lack of accountability is getting ridiculous in this country. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline LunaticFringeInc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: I just heard about this 1t day thing.....
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 09:31:24 PM »
The complete lack of accountability is getting ridiculous in this country.
You said everything that needs to be said on this subject right there in that one little simple sentence.  In the ever growing entitlement society we have here in America, more and more people want something for nothing and arent willing to earn it.

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 12:04:22 AM »
"Entitlement Society"

Man I hate that, and it so true.  How something as simple as "earn your keep" has lost it's meaning I don't know. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 02:12:29 AM »
Lets look at it from a different view given to me by someone caught up in it, they said:
 Give me a loan and I will get a job and pay you back, talking to the Government that pushes the loans to high school kids that don't understand the way of government. 
Then some clown destroyed the jobs and nobody can work. Their degree is useless. On top of that with the interest they charge my loan went from 20,000 to 50,000. I don't want my loan removed just help me with the interest until I get on my feet and help me get the clown out of office.

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 02:33:47 AM »
Lets look at it from a different view given to me by someone caught up in it, they said:
 Give me a loan and I will get a job and pay you back, talking to the Government that pushes the loans to high school kids that don't understand the way of government. 
Then some clown destroyed the jobs and nobody can work. Their degree is useless. On top of that with the interest they charge my loan went from 20,000 to 50,000. I don't want my loan removed just help me with the interest until I get on my feet and help me get the clown out of office.

I see, you want to take the bread away from the person who put up the money for you? That money was LOANED to you in good faith, you agreed to pay the loan the back with interest, now you want to renege on your promise. Sorry, why don't you pick fruit, or dig ditches, or work in construction, whatever you have to do to get the money paid back?

When I got out of college, there weren't a lot of jobs around in the field I studied, so I did other jobs until I could get one I studied for.............took a while, but I didn't renege on my promise.
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 02:42:00 AM »
I think there is a difference. Cuts, when did you go to college? I went to a state school in the mid 70s. In 2002 I started on my masters at another state college. Tuition for one three hour class was more than my full time tuition in the 70s. Book costs were multiple times more. Like medical costs, college costs have risen all out of proportion to most other things. College students need to better look at what they want to study and see if it is an employable degree. There have always been pie in the sky college students who are not all that practical about what course work they take and them find themselves unemployed or underemployed.
GuzziJohn

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 02:56:38 AM »
Did they explain how a 20,000 loan went to 50,000? I have heard of people getting homes financed that were written with huge payment increases after 5 years, but am not aware of college loans being set up like that. I know a lot of people that have degrees in subjects (history,etc) that are pretty worthless in the real world,unless they teach.  I think high schools should have more subjects that have practical applications in the real world, like personal finance.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 03:09:27 AM »
If kids would go to trade school, they would have a job as soon as they graduate.
but that does have a big draw-back, you have to get your hands dirty. :o
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 04:50:30 AM »
if they want to attack someone over student loan debt they should attack the colleges themselves because they are the real criminals who pack curriculums full of needless garbage classes. I have been a paramedic for 17 years. Right now I am going to school to be a registered nurse. If you know anything about healthcare you know medics and nurses are pretty similar in skill sets. Will they count any of my medic training and experience towards  nursing degree? Hell no they wont that would be money out of the schools pocket nevermind that I could teach some of these classes myself. Also what does taking 4 different philosophy classes or 6 levels of worthless algebra classea have to do with health care? The schools are the criminals here and if the occupy zombies want to protest they should go to the source. Then again most of these idiots proably have worthless degrees where they wouldnt get their hands dirty. If the went into my field they might get crap blood puke urine and snot on them and they dont want that.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 04:58:07 AM »

I'm not sure what you got caught up in man. My expensive school loans were 7.5% interest... All have dropped below 4% be because I am a good payer.

And they do give you time. The law mandates you are given six months from your last full time student status (after you graduate - or drop out) before you have to pay back a cent.

I agree that choosing wisely is important.... But honestly sometimes you just have to buckle down and work.  When I graduated - with a degree in hospitality management and Spanish was doing construction and labor - then waiting tables as I did while in college - then I was a janitor in the oilfield. Now I'm a cook/supervisor up here. So finally half a decade out of school I'm on my track to a job as a service industry manager...

School never gives you a job. I fully agree that trade school is the one way to get a job from school. 

A big smile and good attitude get you a job. A hard work ethic get you a promotion.  That degree opens the door to the top.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 04:58:32 AM »

Corbanzo was right...you borrow money..you pay it back.  If you borrow money fro Jim to buy a car from Joe and the car turns out to be junk..you still owe Jim his money !  Perhaps you should have checked the car over better or had your mechanic check it for you.  In any case, it's not Jim's fault you made a poor purchase.
   Like an automobile, some majors are worth the expense..some are barely worth the paper they are printed on...it's up to the student or his/her adviser to make sure they don't buy a "pig-in-a-poke"..
    Otherwise; "suck it up'...and pay your bills.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 04:59:06 AM »
I am now a college drop-out.  I started a free on-line biology course last fall and loved the reading I had to do, but with my trembling hands I couldn't participate in any of the labs. :-[
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 05:03:41 AM »
if they want to attack someone over student loan debt they should attack the colleges themselves because they are the real criminals who pack curriculums full of needless garbage classes. I have been a paramedic for 17 years. Right now I am going to school to be a registered nurse. If you know anything about healthcare you know medics and nurses are pretty similar in skill sets. Will they count any of my medic training and experience towards  nursing degree? Hell no they wont that would be money out of the schools pocket nevermind that I could teach some of these classes myself. Also what does taking 4 different philosophy classes or 6 levels of worthless algebra classea have to do with health care? The schools are the criminals here and if the occupy zombies want to protest they should go to the source. Then again most of these idiots proably have worthless degrees where they wouldnt get their hands dirty. If the went into my field they might get crap blood puke urine and snot on them and they dont want that.

Lakota has a very good point here...most colleges are way over-priced.  They keep raising their prices..the govt keeps throwing more amd more money at them..they raise prices again and the govt throws more money their way..    Get government out of the college finance business..fed govt can't do anything efficently anyway.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 05:07:28 AM »
Lakota I have to say that in your field - a trade - that is very true.

I do happen to think that in a university setting those general studies classes are very important to help develop a person mentally and open their eyes to the rest of the world. It not only shows them important facts about our culture, history, language, as well as the same about others - but offers them a place to see and understand others viewpoints on the same.  Especially for an idiot 18 year old who's experience is high school and their parents.  It also gives them more time to develop their skills in writing/discussion/arithmetic, which though certain things like trigonometry might not be helpful in your field.... And definitely not mine.... Knowing that spacial relationship between objects and trajectories is sure as hell important for shootin!

Offline lakota

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 06:00:11 AM »
well they used to require a course called Math for medications it was a very useful class but they eliminated it and replaced it with 4 different algebras. I have yet in my paramedic career to see a syringe with a radical symbol on it or an imaginary number on it. I am already 15k in the hole and I have yet to take a class with a "NURS" prefix but I dont blame the bank. When it comes to health care I dont think we should broaden horizons I think the course work should be focused like a lazer because there are a lot of stupid people out there posing as healthcare practitioners

Offline lakota

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 06:08:31 AM »
I am probably looking at this in the wrong light. These Occupy morons probably went and got degrees in basket weaving or general studies thinking they were going to hit that  jack pot only to find there is no market for basket weaving or general studies so now they expect someone else to foot the bill for their stupidity

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 06:23:58 AM »
These people (yes people as some of your money came from pension plans, 401K, and other investments) did not invest in you they lent you money.  You took the money and are expected to pay it back.  I understand that it is a large amoount of $ each month.  But you were the one to take the $ to go to college now rather than work your way through college taking longer to make the money first.  And unlike a car we can not reposses your education.
Now part of the problem is the economy and the lack of well paying jobs.  I understand you want to get rid of Obama and his communists that are destroying the middle class.

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 05:41:27 PM »
Heck of a mess anyway you cut it. However I do believe, they borrowed, therefore they owe.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 12:17:12 AM »
   People take a loan, hoping to qualify for a high pay job in business and/or industry.  Then many of these same folks elect a gang to Washington which has a grudge against business, industry, wealth and personally acheived success.

Sounds like a self-defeatist attitude to me..

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 08:56:51 AM »
   People take a loan, hoping to qualify for a high pay job in business and/or industry.  Then many of these same folks elect a gang to Washington which has a grudge against business, industry, wealth and personally acheived success.

Sounds like a self-defeatist attitude to me..
Economics 101.
Money can either go to government or to the people that own the companies and work for them.
Raising taxes on the "Rich" sounds good until the rich can no longer hire the middle class.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 09:12:06 PM »
Lakota, you may want to look into this for later on. http://www.finaid.org/loans/publicservice.phtml
Molon labe

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 10:59:15 PM »
  Many young people, fresh out of high school are sold a bill of goods..  They are told.."get a good education, so you can get a good job"..
   They get a loan, follow through on the education part..and don't get a job (at least not to their liking).  What they were NOT told is fully as important as what they were told. Having to repay your loan is guaranteed, having the job of your desires is not !

Again, colleges of today are too concerned with all the "bells and whistles"..too much a social event, rather than a learning event.  How important are the extra-curricular activities?  I look at 2 young people..one enters the military, the other goes enters college.  How is it the one can make it on relative bare necessities, while the other requires that all types of programs be set up for them?  Why is it some desire to be challenged physically, mentally and on the ragged edge of survival..while others expect to be coddled.  I am of course, speaking in generalities here, but it seems that for much of the youth, that's how it goes.
   This attitude even seems for some, to go on into their post graduate lives..The Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine emerging from the miltary, buckles down and do what is necessary to "make it".. while a sizeable portion of college grads seem to expect success to be handed to them (e.g. the OWS mob).
  BTW: The military is a great way for a young person to avoid those costly student loans..if they really want to buckle down .

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 02:02:16 AM »
College is a small world. You are surrounded by people with big dreams, the professors will tell you how important the subject matter is, the administrators tell you how important your education is to society. You have a lot wrapped up in this pursuit, both financially and mentally. From the President on down to the guy cleaning urinals at the mall, every one of them tell you go to college get your education so you can be just like me, or so you won't be like me.

These kids have done as they were told ( well lets assume they have ). While they were preparing for this bold new universe, full of opportunity, the world changed for the worse. Their opportunity was moved to China by the companies who sold them play stations, digital TV DVR's, bicycles, skateboards, cars, computers, printers, iPODS, you get the picture.

They have been duped. They were sold a bill of goods. I don't blame them too much for being mad. However ... they signed the note, they took the class, they believed what they were told , not what they saw going on around them. They did not lose the education they purchased though, it is theirs forever. The economy will turn around. It will won't it? One day they may well be employed in the field they chose.

In the meantime they are WHINING about how unfair it is. This is something they learned in preschool, it was reinforced at every level of education, on through university as well. Hell, they may well get their way. How many hours of bitching and moaning is it worth to eliminate a $75k bill? Might pay better than that engineering degree will.

Due diligence, they learned that lesson after the fact. It has come to bite them in the rear.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 02:19:42 AM »
If kids would go to trade school, they would have a job as soon as they graduate.

I went to both college and trade achool. People forget college in many cases gives you the tools to learn how to do something but you still need to learn on the job. With a trade you learn how to do something from the start. I have been in my field for 40 years come june. I can assure there are college grads with profesonal stamps that could do the work they draw the funny papers for .
I don't see how student loans should be made by the govt. period. Let the schools assume the risk they reep the profits.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 02:27:19 AM »

I don't see how student loans should be made by the govt. period. Let the schools assume the risk they reep the profits.
Now that is an idea I could get behind. Colleges would certainly be much more selective now wouldn't they. :)  Would be interesting to see if they would walk the talk on, well rounded, diversity, professor pay scale, etc.

Yes I do like the way you think.Shootall
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 02:35:10 AM »
Education has been transformed from the dedicated trying to educate our youth to BIG BUSINESS with bottom lines and huge profits . I await the day education takes a back seat to the sports program if it hasen't already.

Education is in the same fix home building was a couple years ago , the industry was built on credit and they can't pay !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 02:44:13 AM »
Our whole education paradigm has contributed heavily to this problem. Many public and private schools "effectiveness" is measured by what percent of the high school's graduates go on to college (not wether they graduated or not). In some cases this is a formal measure and is most certainly an informal one and one used buy the general public. Due to this the schools push students and parents to enroll the kid in college, even if everyone knows the kid may not be college material.
GuzziJohn

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 10:55:06 AM »
There is some good news about the Trillion and the OWS people wanting free school.
Clearly the Cost of school as gone up due to the availibility of loan money to pay tuition.  If you forgive the loans the loans will dry up.  With fewer students it may bring the cost per unit down. 
I wonder if we linked the loans to the schools and if the loans are not paid back the students at the school are limited on moneis to borrow.  That will limit the amount of students going to the school and that will make the school start teaching the students to be responsible and the fundimentals of Banking and the creation of wealth.