Author Topic: A couple available ACW artillery pieces  (Read 832 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
A couple available ACW artillery pieces
« on: May 24, 2012, 08:00:21 PM »
If anyone's interested in a 3-inch ordnance rifle or a Tredegar Foundry 24-pdr flank howitzer, then here they be.
BTW, I believe that the 1485 marked on the howitzer records the weight of the tube, not the foundry number.

http://www.jcamericana.com/inventory-artillery.php
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: A couple available ACW artillery pieces
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 02:46:35 AM »
Thanks.  They are all price-less.

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 06:06:54 AM »
How does a piece like that ordinance rifle fall into private hands?
I would think it is still owned by the US government.

Offline Artilleryman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 06:39:16 AM »
They were given to veteran's groups and cemeteries who may have sold them later.  I don't know for sure but the government may have sold them as military surplus or scrap.  There are quite a few barrels in private hands.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 10:32:32 AM »
10 USC Chapter 443 - covers the disposition of surplus Government material.   There has always been some question about whether the item was sold, given or loaned. Loaned items were supposed to still be government property.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 03:20:34 PM »
Civil war cannon were sold from time to time by Bannerman's who purchased them at Government auction..... not ALL Civil War cannon were loaned to G.A.R. posts..... some of the well to do posts purchased their own cannon with their own money...... So please don't start the "That's still government property" thing up here..... I applaud the efforts of those who are keeping record of all the cannon at momuments and graveyards ...... but people do have the right to own them also.... and not every one of them has to be in a museum....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 06:02:38 PM »
Since there were no prices listed, I emailed the shop over  12 hrs ago asking for them.  No answer yet.  Maybe they go by "if you have to ask the price you can't afford it."

Offline Double D

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 06:07:17 PM »
Whether or not its still government property depends on how it got from government hand to civilians hands.

The Secretary of Army was allowed to loan ordnance  to educational institutes or Soldiers and Sailors Orphans homes.  The material had to be returned upon demand.  10 USC § 4685 - Obsolete ordnance: loan to educational institutions and State soldiers and sailors’ orphans’ homes

Everything else was sold or given and passed title.   

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 06:23:09 PM »
Whether or not its still government property depends on how it got from government hand to civilians hands.

The Secretary of Army was allowed to loan ordnance  to educational institutes or Soldiers and Sailors Orphans homes.  The material had to be returned upon demand.  10 USC § 4685 - Obsolete ordnance: loan to educational institutions and State soldiers and sailors’ orphans’ homes

Are we giving legal advise?  ;) If so, then wouldn't it only apply to those with "US" markings?
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Double D

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 08:27:30 PM »

Are we giving legal advise?  ;) If so, then wouldn't it only apply to those with "US" markings?

No I sure wouldn't do that, that's for sure.  I think the US marking would be irrelevant. U.S. Government ownership would be key.

I know during my career this subject came up a number of times with stuff being exported.  That's the only way I knew about the law.

Glad it was  was a small seldom and rarely seen problem. Trying to do the research and prove which the  item was: sold, loaned or gifted.  Imagine asking the Department of Army to look up in their records and see if they loan, sold or gifted that old cannon.

I am also glad I never had to deal with one  of these issues.   Now importation of Lend lease items from WWII, there was a can of worms I dealt with all to often...

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 04:40:35 AM »
If ownership was only needed to be proved by "U.S." markings then every rifle and carbine once owned by the government is their property unless you happen to have the origianl bill of sale on a gun that may have been sold 50 or 100 + years ago.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 08:32:33 AM »
This is from a military lawyer friend of mine who must remain anonymous due to regulations in his job.  I posted it during another online discussion of private ownership of former US gov't property:
"
Literally all CW firearms, accouterments and weapons in the hands of private collectors originate from one of three sources: (1) firearms and swords purchased by the individual officer and thereafer sold or disposed of by the soldier or his heirs. In this case, the government has never had title to the items and he or his heirs can pass legal title to someone else. (2) firearms and accounterments purchased by a soldier from the government at the conclusion of his term of service. Again, he is perfectly at liberty to sell, will or otherwise dispose of them. (3) firearms and other accouterments deaccessioned by the government and sold to a private dealier and thereafter resold by the dealer. Again, the acquisition is perfectly permissible as the government has voluntarily dispossessed itself of the item at issue. On the other hand, the government never loses title to an artifact that it has retained and has, without its authorization, been taken from it. "