Author Topic: New Old stock 35 Whelen  (Read 793 times)

Offline Hunter6657

• Trade Count: (62)
  • Contributor
New Old stock 35 Whelen
« on: May 29, 2012, 07:29:40 PM »
Well looks like LA. passed the same regs as Miss as far as Primitive Season as far as weaponry and 35 Whelen can now be used along with T/C Contender and Encore Rifles in 35 cal or larger.
I just won a 35 whelen on auction that was new old stock.
After reading up and finding out about the service bulletin posted on rifles manufactured from March to Sept of 2010, I found that the one I'm getting was manufactured in May 2010.
Unfortunately the box was lost so i don't have a Sku number to match up but after talking to H&R I was told I can just send in the receiver if I experience any misfires since its a transfer bar problem. I'm thinking I can check the firing pin protusion  and compare to it to another handirifle to see if its coming out far enough. Maybe someone can give me a measurement of this on their 35 whelen rifles or other rifles so i can compare it to mine.
I may just send it in anyways either by getting a shipping label from them or just paying $6 to ship it in a flat rate box back to them before I even take it to the range.

On a side note, has anyone tried the Hornady Superperformance 35 Whelen ammo that touts a 200gr bullet at 2900fps and what velocity were you getting out of them if chronographed ? This seems to be good high performance ammo and is also the cheapest ammo as well. I'll probably end up reloading it and and probably back the velocity down to 356/358 levels. Also, anybody tried the Federal 180gr Fusion ammo ?
God created man, Col. Colt made him equal.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
Re: New Old stock 35 Whelen
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 07:47:51 PM »
Hunter,

Where did you get this info about LA changing the primitive weapon caliber?  Don't see it on the website.

Thanks
Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline abolt-fan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:02:54 PM »
I'm loading for 5 different 35 Whelens with the Hornady 200gr. SP.  I'm running them at 2750 fps.  Last season my brother shot an 8pt. at about 320 yds. with that load.  Deer went less than 30 yds. 

We haven't recovered a bullet yet.  Deer are getting hammered.  Short runs or dropping on the spot.  The few that run leave a blood trail anybody could follow.  I have seen comments that this bullet doesn't hold up pushed close to 3000 fps.  With the velocity we're using there has been no issues.

Congrats on picking up the Whelen.  You'll find yourself using it a lot.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 08:49:11 PM »
I only use the Nosler 225 and 250gr Partition bullets in my .35 Whelen, so I can not speak about the lighter bullet.  It would think it would do very well on Whitetail.  Living where I live, I don't go armed for what I am hunting, I go armed for what might be hunting me. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 06:13:30 AM »
I agree with both A-Bolt and Roger!

The Hornady 200g spitzer is a great bullet!  I have used it for over a dozen head of game in my 358 and a hand full more from my own Whelen. In the 358 I loaded it to just under factory velocities because the BLR seemed to pronounce recoil and muzzle jump. Approx 2400 fps dropped most every deer DRT. In the Whelen my loadings exceed 3000 fps ( I have a long barrel and throat ) its a lightning bolt. Absolutely pole axes deer. The last one I shot was about 150# and 125 yards away. A friend happened to be watching the same deer from the other side of a large field. It was a small spike and from his position, he could not see the horns. Anyhow, thru his scope and allot a sudden the deer was horizontal but about two feet off the ground. Then it fell straight down as if some invisable person snatched the rug out from under it. Then, a instant later, he herd my rifles report.

I have since switched to the excellent Speer 250 g RN almost exclusively. Partially because I get extra vel from this rifle and prefomance with it has also been superb. But also because my 358 and now my 356 will throw the 200's as fast as needed.

I have zero experience with either of these factory loadings you mention.

Pin protrusion should be at least .040 but .065 is not excessive on some actions.

Good luck with your newest addiction, it's a great do everything caliber!
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Natty Bumppo

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 08:45:36 AM »
Hunter,

Where did you get this info about LA changing the primitive weapon caliber?  Don't see it on the website.

Thanks
Bobby
Rev,
Here you go:

ACT NO. 68
H.B. No. 230

WEAPONS USED DURING PRIMITIVE FIREARMS SEASON
 BY REPRESENTATIVES THIBAUT, ARMES, CHANEY, CONNICK, GISCLAIR, GUINN, HARRISON, LAMBERT, LEOPOLD, AND SCHEXNAYDER AND SENATORS LAFLEUR AND RISER
AN ACT to amend and reenact R.S. 56:116(C)(1), relative to weapons used during primitive firearms season; to provide for the minimum caliber of certain rifles used in primitive firearms season; to provide for the authority of the Wildlife and Fisheries Commission; and to provide for related matters.
Be it enacted by the Legislature of Louisiana:

Section 1. R.S. 56:116(C)(1) is hereby amended and reenacted to read as follows:  § 116. Wild birds and wild quadrupeds; special hunting seasons
C. (1) The commission may establish a special deer season for primitive firearms. The taking of deer in such season shall be limited to persons who are licensed in accordance with the provisions of R.S. 56:103(C)(2). The commission shall adopt and promulgate rules and regulations governing such season, including the type and size of weapons used, licenses required, sex of deer to be hunted, and the areas included in the season. In addition to any other weapon restriction the commission may adopt, such rules and regulations shall provide that breech loading rifles with a caliber of .35 or larger may be used during primitive firearms season. The taking of deer during this season shall be limited to still hunting and may be allowed in all or some areas of the state where deer hunting is now or shall in the future be allowed.
Approved May 11, 2012.
LA LEGIS 68 (2012)
END OF DOCUMENT

Offline geartow

• Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 02:25:20 PM »
WOW, they also regulate what style of hunting you may use . No sitting on a stand for you folks .

"Stalking or still hunting is the practice of walking quietly in search of animals, or in pursuit of an individual animal" from Wikipedia.
Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 04:14:59 PM »
Long live the Whelan! Especially Mr Ackley's version! :)

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 04:18:10 PM »
Thanks Natty, they must be slow in updating the website.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline abolt-fan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 06:18:56 PM »
Sourdough,

I don't blame you for loading heavy where you hunt.  I've taken moose and black bear in Newfoundland with my 35 Whelens.  On those hunts the loads I use is topped with a Barnes 225gr. TSX.  Love that bullet on heavy and thick animals.  I've also bought up a bunch of Nosler 225gr. BT's that I'm going to work up a load for.  They are probably to much for deer but I'm going to try them this year.

The 200gr. Hornady load previously mentioned is strictly for deer hunting and primarily Miss. primitive weapon season.  100-150 lb. deer just don't need any more than that. 

Ya'll over in La. will be like the hunters in Miss.  We started with 45-70's and .444's.  As soon as we could drop to .35 cal. the Whelen became a huge favorite.  Quite a few guys I know and hunt with end up using the Whelen all or most of the regular season as well.

Offline Hunter6657

• Trade Count: (62)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 11:01:51 AM »
WOW, they also regulate what style of hunting you may use . No sitting on a stand for you folks .

"Stalking or still hunting is the practice of walking quietly in search of animals, or in pursuit of an individual animal" from Wikipedia.

In our case, still hunting means anyway you want to legally hunt them without the use of dogs. The modern definition of still hunting is sitting still in your deer stand or ground blind with stalking referring to quiet walking in search of animals or tracking of individual game animals.
God created man, Col. Colt made him equal.