Author Topic: Lost my lease  (Read 887 times)

Offline 4xdakota

• Trade Count: (0)
Lost my lease
« on: February 01, 2004, 04:45:37 PM »
well, Ive been hunting on this lease for 20 years this year.  The owner said that they were going to go up on the price,  they did.  It went from $750 to,get this, $3000 a person.  Unfortunately this was our last year to hunt on that lease.  It was fun while it lasted...   OH WELL

Offline sealer

• Trade Count: (1)
Lost my lease
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 07:41:22 PM »
been there,done that. never take for granted-the places that you can hunt.
dennis
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave with a well preserved body,but to come in-sliding sideways,screaming Holy Cow--- what a ride !!!

Offline rpseven

• Avid Poster
Lost my lease
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 01:14:29 AM »
Sorry to hear that buddy. But you know what that old saying is. MONEY TALKS AND BULLSH&& WALKS. SORRY. Leasing is going to be the death of all deer hunting!! All it is doing is turning it into a rich mans sport and we all are to stupid to see it.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
Lost my lease
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 07:20:40 AM »
All it is doing is turning it into a rich mans sport and we all are to stupid to see it.

Lease hunting already has turned it into a rich man's sport. In increasingly many parts of the US, there are two types of hunter: the lease hunter with the money to hunt the quality range, and everyone else who is left to hunt the poorly-managed land (which includes most public land). The sad part is when a leasor works very hard to make his lease a quality place, and then the landowner rewards him/her by raising the lease price out of sight.

But in our commercialized world, deer hunting rights are just another commodity, like oil, or water rights, or whatever. It goes for the market price, whatever anyone is willing to give for it. And as long as we have enough folks with more money than they know what to do with, we will have lease prices that are far out of reach of the common man. Hunting is after all a recreational commodity, and the more people and less land we have, the higher the price will go.

There are, thankfully, quite a few corners of our landscape that have not come fully under this economic blight, but they are seriously endangered. When a landowner can make more from hunting rights than from all other sources of income of the land combined, then it won't be long before it will become a commercial lease. All we humble folks can do is enjoy them while they last.

The only two forces of change that might stop this trend are 1) curbing population growth and extra-urban development, and 2) making farming and ranching profitable enterprises for the average rent farmer/rancher again. The likelihood of either coming to pass is very low, but we can try.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Dezertyote

• Avid Poster
Lost my lease
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 06:01:33 PM »
Why hunt on lease land in the begining? Spend that money, say on a mulie or whitetail hunt in another state. Theres a lot of federal land that has good hunting for the price of the tags.
The leasing started in texas and the texas hunters have allowed it  :oops:

why don't you all unite and refuse to buy any leases thoughout the state. If they can't fill their leases then they'll have to lower them to a more realistic affordable figure.
Blow a vintage Circe dinner bell and they will come...

Offline 5Redman8

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Leasing
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 03:23:22 AM »
It is just about the only way you can go hunting every weekend in TX.  Visiting another state would be a once or twice a season event.  Most people do not take a week off at a time to hunt.  I go on the weekend to my very affordable lease in an area with very nice deer and even few P&Y and B&C deer every year.  It is in an area not well known and we keep it that way.  Those of us who get a nice do not post it with the area specified and most do not get entered in the book.  Leasing is woderful if you know where and how to do it.  There are weekends, that my dad and I are the only people on the lease and have 5,000acres to ourselves.  Absolutely WONDERFUL.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, in 20 years I am sure you felt attatched to your lease.  Try to keep a good attitude and know that you will get to hunt new land this season.

Good Luck to all,
Kyle

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
Lost my lease
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 04:48:37 PM »
I am from Texas. I hunted on a family lease every year for my first 15 hunting seasons. I lost leases five years in a row to groups that were willing to pay a lot more than I was. I never blamed the ranchers. I went to Wyoming one year to hunt non-resident and decided upon arrival that living in Texas was not all that important anymore. I moved to Wyoming in '76 and have never regretted the cut in pay that came with the move. It allowed me to do what I live to do......hunt. I hunt almost every weekend of the year. It has cost me a couple of wives but hey, a man has to decide what his priorities in life really are.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline grouper sandwich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://members.fishingworks.com/groupersandwich/
Lost my lease
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2004, 11:01:53 AM »
Wow, that bites!  Good luck in finding a new lease.  :(

Offline rockbilly

Lost my lease
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004, 02:51:20 PM »
It's hard to get rid of a good dog or an old wife after you got 'em trained, but you is got to look at it from the right point of view, It's much harder to find a good deer lease than it is to find a good dog or wife............ :D

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
Lost my lease
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2004, 01:17:15 PM »
Thats a bummer. I have a small piece of land thats mine but my neighbor lets me hunt his as well and they have about ten thouisand acres. And yes I know how lucky I am. I am buying him and his son each a Lueplod scope this spring. His son always raises my deer up with thier loader and helps me skin them and stuff. Good guys!!
shot placement is everything.

Offline jrcanoe

Lost my lease
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2004, 10:02:32 PM »
I don't know how much my family charges to lease our property,but I know money is not the issue with us. I could walk all over it with antlers strapped to my head and not get shot. I never find one piece of trash or one tire print off the fire lanes. Every shot heard is a dead deer.

Talk to as many landowners as you can. I sure from hunting public lands that good tenant hunters are becoming harder and harder to find. My Daughter wants to hunt this season and I have already told her that she can hunt when we are at the farm but can't hunt up here on the state game lands. I don't even hunt the game lands opening weak or weekends; rapid fireshots and bullets cracking over head and going thru the leaves scare me and the trash makes me sick.

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
Lost my lease
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2004, 03:17:51 AM »
The way I look at it is like this:  Let the rich people have their multi-thousand dollar hunts on the lease lands or game ranches.  I think it makes harvesting a trophy buck on public or private but open land all the more rewarding.  It sickens me sometimes to watch these hunt os TV from ranches.  They grow these deer with huge racks but small bodys.  A guy can shoot a 12 pointer that only weighs 130 pounds.  Im not knocking the guys who do it, but where is the sport?  How can being driven out to a tree, told to get up there and wait, then shooting a deer in a flok of 20 running around be considered fun?  Then you dont have to do any work.  I view hunting as the whole package, from early season scouting to finally dragging your gutted deer out of the woods and to a registration station.
But thats just me.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline MATLOCK12C

• Avid Poster
Try this for a problem!
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2004, 05:30:56 AM »
I had leased some 150 acres of land, for my cattle, and hunting. It was perfect, had a little branch running through spring fed. beautiful hardwoods, plenty of pasture. It needed a lot of work though. The fences were down, the old road was unpassible. I had to walk in to look at the place.
The land owner was a sweet old lady who just had no way to tend the property. We agreed on ten dollars an acre to lease it for the first three years, paid up front. $4500.00 cash. with a good contract approved by both of our lawyers.
I put in the first year just tending the fences, road, new gates, shed for feed, etc, . I turned a sows ear into a silk perse so to speak.  It was a great place, for five years.
Then she passed away, and all hell come to town! Her heirs who lived out in Dallas, called in the oil company.  Over night I had a drilling rig right in the middle of the place. Nothing was safe or sacred. I endured the trash, the noise, gates left open, cows getting out in the middle of the night, you name it !
I complained to everybody, the heirs, the oil company, all to no avail. finally they were done and left.
Opening morning and I find the heirs brother in law sitting in my deer stand! MAN! what else?
Then they want double to renew the lease!  I told em to stick it. They were happy as clams.
Until I started removing all the improvements. It was in the contract, and there hands were tied.
All they got was a road into the place when it was said and done. And I learned a good lesson. get a good lease ant think about what can happen in the future. People die, heirs can be an a$$. Protect yourself to the point of overkill.  Trust me, an ounce of prevention IS worth a pound of cure!
MATLOCK12C@AOL.Com

Remember, 95% of all energency room visits are made shortly AFTER this statement; HEY, Y'ALL WATCH THIS!  :shock:   :)  :)  :-D