Author Topic: 18Th Century Naval Carriage.  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Doc Brown.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
18Th Century Naval Carriage.
« on: May 31, 2012, 12:03:22 PM »
A while back I came here and asked for some advice on a naval carriage. I had a few people offer help and one guy recommended a book. I purchased the book Building 18th century naval artillery and I recently got motivated enough to try to make the naval carriage. Here are some pics. Thanks for the recommendation on the book. It didn't have any technical drawings  but it had just enough info that it helped out. Its a good book but its worm section really peed me off.   Im also looking for some more of you guys brutal honesty on what I could change on the next build to make it even better. Thank you all.

UPDATED.

Decided to go larger now that I feel more comfortable with this design.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: 18Th Century Naval Carriage.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 01:50:27 PM »
Hi Dock,
First of all,  get a different picture host.  Use Photobucket or My Hosted Pics. 
As someone who has built over 40 naval carriages, I want to offer my congratulations to you for effort.  You even tapered the side cheeks.  Looks good!
Brutal honesty?  Well, it looks like you added a extra step on the side cheek.  Cut it back one. 
I admire anyone who is willing to show their work to everyone and ask for criticism.  Looks like a great job to me.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »
Thanks Zulu, Classic cannon.. . Thanks for pointing that step out. I didn't realize what I had done until it was to late and I was out of wood. The draft was very tricky and I wasted a whole board trying to get it. On the next one im going to try to remember to take off a step.  I upgraded the photos to larger. I really like the photo share im using its simple and free. Simple being my favorite part.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 03:50:49 PM »
Photobucket and My Hosted Pics are free and easy too.  And they don't have to open in a seperate window.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 04:23:19 PM »
Photobucket and My Hosted Pics are free and easy too.  And they don't have to open in a separate window.
Zulu

Whats easier Photo Bucket or My hosted pics? I do realize what a pain the opening in a separate window is and I would like to try a new one.

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 05:09:02 PM »
In my opinion my hosted pics is far easier than any other hosting site I have tried.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 07:17:17 AM »
I think it looks great. My critical eye would suggest that the cheeks not be as tall (you knew that) and find some square nuts.  :) :)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 08:28:20 AM »
If you wanted it to look authentic with that particular barrel, the barrel is too small for that carriage, or carriage is too big for the barrel.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 08:35:15 AM »
Thanks Im going to look for the square nuts. Also the way the trunnion caps are attached is cheap. Its not that much harder to make them proper. To late on this one though.  The barrel is 1841 6 Pounder 12.5 inch. Its only on the carriage for display purposes. It was made before the carriage and is all I had to put on it. Im going to make a barrel like in the book 18th century naval guns soon and put on it.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 10:21:01 AM »
 :)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 11:53:15 AM »
Nice work a lot of time and effort went into the making, one thing though....you should have laid out for the trunnions after the carrage was finished they are cocked at the angle of the carraige rather than in a straight line.......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 12:35:52 PM »
Nice work a lot of time and effort went into the making, one thing though....you should have laid out for the trunnions after the carrage was finished they are cocked at the angle of the carraige rather than in a straight line.......

They were drilled flat instead of at the proper angle.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 08:03:41 PM »
Zulu. They was drilled right.  I have the trunnion caps on wrong in the one picture.  The real trick was bending the trunnion caps on an angle. That probably something new right. Its true though. I invented this technique as I was hanging a picture above my toilet. I slipped fell and hit my head and was knocked out cold. When I came too I had vision and it was of a trunnion cap square being bent on the same angle as the draft.  If they wasn't drilled out right the trunnions wouldn't sit in the slots. Im patenting this technique. Or did I plan this all in advance and mill the trunnion pockets out on the same degree angle as the draft.  What really happened now is this. After the carriage was all done I realized that I had drilled the cheeks out flat. So I modified a dolorean to become a time machine with some old parts I had just lying around. I traded a cannon on the GBO classified for some plutonium. I then went back in time and instead of drilling out the trunnion slots the right way I milled the barrel out so that the trunnions would sit in the screwed up trunnion slots. Thats what happened seriously.

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 04:48:20 AM »
Zulu. They was drilled right.  I have the trunnion caps on wrong in the one picture.  The real trick was bending the trunnion caps on an angle. That probably something new right. Its true though. I invented this technique as I was hanging a picture above my toilet. I slipped fell and hit my head and was knocked out cold. When I came too I had vision and it was of a trunnion cap square being bent on the same angle as the draft.  If they wasn't drilled out at the right angle the trunnions wouldn't sit in the slots. Im patenting this technique. Or did I plan this all in advance and mill the trunnion slots out on the same degree angle as the draft.  What really happened now is this. After the carriage was all done I realized that I had drilled the cheeks out flat. So I modified a dolorean to become a time machine with some old parts I had just lying around. I traded a cannon on the GBO classified for some plutonium. I then went back in time and instead of drilling out the trunnion slots the right way I milled the barrel out so that the trunnions would sit in the screwed up trunnion slots. Thats what happened seriously.

Have you been sniffing the fumes from  the way oil again?   :)

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 09:00:47 AM »
Thanks for the tips.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 03:52:53 PM »
Thanks flagman. Learning from others mistakes will defiantly save you lots of time and material.

With that one picture where the trunnion caps are on wrong it really looks like the cheeks were drilled out flat.  So I can see how everyone would think that.

So with all of you guys feedback I have made some changes to the next carriage. Also theres a barrel in the works, 15 inches long out of 2.25" 1045 Steel that will be a close replica of the 18th century naval gun on the way for this carriage. .75 caliber and I am a little concerned that the barrel is going to blow up the carriage but we will see.

Heres some shots of the Shorter carriage. Minus a step. Still need some square nuts but im working on it.
This book really is a great starting point but after I get this down is there another book to get. DD?

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 04:06:49 PM »
I think there are free square nuts listed on the classifieds

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 07:12:48 PM »
If you are willling to cheat a little on the trunnion irons, use a lower as well as an upper (cap square) and wrap it around the front of the cheek so the recoil is spread over a larger area.  It could be extended under the cheek to the front bolt for maximum effect.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 08:03:13 PM »
Dockholidaiy,
In my opinion the front axle is postioned too far forward. If you'd imagine a perpendicular line bisecting the trunnion face, and a line drawn lengthwise across the center of the top of the axle bed, the line on the axle should be only slightly forward of the line coming down from the trunnion. If you did this, the length of the cheeks could be reduced. The quoin is too tall, and the angle on it too severe; the stool bed would have to be raised in order to remedy this.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 11:18:35 AM »
Thanks everyone for all the input. I made the second carriage with alot of your suggestions. The cheeks are shorter the barrel is larger and longer. The front wheel is further back. I took a step off. And a few other things. Heres a video of a test fire I held the camera pretty steady. We used Bread for wadding and its now my new favorite wadding. We used about 150 grain of powder.  The first shot we used about 100 and we didn't use bread and it was weak. The second shot I packed the hell out of it and it was way louder but it was also way

http://animoto.com/play/5o2iw3NU0U7TR9kCHveOOw

http://www.photosnack.com/my-slideshows/details/pzn0g8si

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 02:39:43 PM »
It made a good bang; what's the bore size on the black barrel?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 02:57:18 PM »
It made a good bang; what's the bore size on the black barrel?

.75"   It was machined from 2.5" 1045.  I would have liked more meat on its rear but theres always next time. I really like these style carriages and im real glad that DD recommended this book to me. on the next carriage I think im going to have all the bugs worked out.  I think this things still to tall and as you can see I didn't account for the rings keeping my trunnions from being flush with the outside of the cheeks.  I do appreciate all the opinions and help. Thanks

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 01:32:37 AM »
Nice cannon, good work. You might benefit from a shooting platform and some breaching ropes of some type. Keeps the little guy from scooting all over the area at the shot. My platform serves as a box for my accessories.

Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff