Author Topic: Grips  (Read 2142 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Grips
« on: June 01, 2012, 06:18:21 AM »
I remember someone telling me something to the effect that all Uberti grips are the same.  Am I mis-remembering?   :-\

What I mean is are the grips for the SAA the same as the grips on a '51 Navy or a '60 Army?   ???
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Fingers McGee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: Grips
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 06:35:12 AM »
I remember someone telling me something to the effect that all Uberti grips are the same.  Am I mis-remembering?   :-\

What I mean is are the grips for the SAA the same as the grips on a '51 Navy or a '60 Army?   ???

Not exactly.  The screw hole pattern for grip frames is generally the same.  You can take grips & frames from an SAA and put them on a '51 or '60 and vice versa, and you can swap '51 and '60 grips & frames.  The Piettas will do the same thing.  I've put Great Western IIgrips & frames on Pietta '51 and '61 Navies.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Man of many Colt's and alter ego of Diabolical Ken
SASS Regulator 28654-L-TG, Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire
Pistoleer/Frontiersman, Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 07:24:32 AM »
Thanks Fingers!

I'm at my wit's end when it comes to faux ivory grips for my Navies ('51 & '61) and Navy conversion.  Lots of them for the Uberti Cattleman, but nothing for the BP revolvers.   :(

Then I remembered, or thought I remembered, someone telling me the SAA and BP revolver grips were the same dimensions.  If that is true then I should be able to order a set of replacement grips for the Cattleman and fit them to a Navy...  :-\

Otherwise I'm to the point that I feel like ordering some Ivory Micarta slabs and make them myself!   ::)

Sure wish TruIvory hadn't made me so mad...  :-\   Not to mention so expensive...  ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 10:24:39 AM »
I know from whence you speak.  I've had nothing but trouble putting faux ivories on my '51s and '61s as well.  Even the ones for the cattlemen don't always fit without lots and lots of filing and sanding.  The closest I've found are Larry Littles grips at Gripmaker. 

Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 02:18:25 PM »
The closest I've found are Larry Littles grips at Gripmaker.

Well thank you thank you thank you!   ;D   In all my searching I had not come across his site.  I'm going to order a set to try on the '51 MR Conversion tomorrow!   ;)
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 04:39:24 PM »
Be sure to post how they turn out

Offline Flint

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 09:45:19 AM »
The gripframe for an Uberti London Navy is the same as their SAA, but the brass gripframe for the other Uberti Navies is a bit smaller.  I haven't checked in particular if the steel 1861 gripframe is larger like the London, but it may be.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 03:21:35 AM »
The gripframe for an Uberti London Navy is the same as their SAA, but the brass gripframe for the other Uberti Navies is a bit smaller.  I haven't checked in particular if the steel 1861 gripframe is larger like the London, but it may be.

Now that's interesting stuff right there!   ;D   I'll check my steel gripframe '61 against my brass gripframe '51 soon's I get home!  If I remember that is...  :-[

Been emailing back and forth with Larry at GripMaker.  Nice guy. 
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 10:38:21 AM »
Been emailing back and forth with Larry at GripMaker.  Nice guy.

Yes he is