Author Topic: Looking for Suggestions - Buying new gun  (Read 1696 times)

Offline mikestesting

• Trade Count: (5)
Looking for Suggestions - Buying new gun
« on: June 01, 2012, 12:59:07 PM »
Hi.

I'm pretty new to this forum. I'm currently looking into purchasing some new guns. I'm a novice to all the different types of guns out there, as well as caliber types. I have been shooting since I was 4 years old. I've done mostly rifle shooting all of my life and really love that.

I'm looking for suggestions from you on what to get. Have an opinion? Feel free to share it! My budget is between $2000 to $2500. I think I'd like to get a rifle and a handgun. Any suggestions?

Here's what I currently own if it helps you:

Ruger Blackhawk chambered in .357 Maximum
.45 Colt Single Action Army
Ruger Security Six - .357 Mag
Berreta 92FS
M1 Garand
.257 Roberts Bolt action rifle
Thompson Center Hawken muzzeloader
Ruger Mini 14
Ruger 10/22
Ruger Old Army .45 black powder
.30-06 hunting rifle

I'm thinking about maybe an AR-15 and a 1911? Or a .44 Desert Eagle. I know the DE is a jackass gun; I just want it for the badass factor.

Thoughts? I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Looking for Suggestions - Buying new gun
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 02:38:31 PM »
thats quite a list! only lacking in the shotgun dept. if it is to be a defensive arm i have to recomend the mossberg. I am a long time fan of rem 870 but not for defense. look at the design of the shell carriers and imagine a shell jammed in there. the remington can and will jam under the right circumstances and is a pita to clear. ok in the hunting field but NOT ok for defense. also the six pump shotguns i have tested the mossberg 500 with the short barrel patterns low recoil 00 buck the best. about a 3 inch circle at 30 feet. also penetration tests have borne out fiocchi low recoil to be the least expensive and perfectly adaquate for indoor use. I use the same gun with different barrels for hunting ducks, geese, pheasant, chuckar, dove, and quail. I use an H and R single shot for turkey. Oh and we took the mossberg on a pig hunt but never saw a damn pig!

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 02:57:57 PM »
Might look for a nice small handgun. A P-232 SIG, maybe a Kahr, you have some nicer quality stuff already and would appreciate those I believe. Add a custom holster and you ought to be out the door under $850.

Depending on what you see as a scenario for that AR, $1250 should get you in the game. If a plinker, that may well include optics and a several extra mags and dress-up clothes for it ( they are man Barbies after all  ;D  ). Shop around and you'll find a sho' nuff Colts model with all the boxes checked, save up for the dress up clothes and top notch optics.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline mikestesting

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 04:59:09 PM »
thats quite a list! only lacking in the shotgun dept. if it is to be a defensive arm i have to recomend the mossberg. I am a long time fan of rem 870 but not for defense. look at the design of the shell carriers and imagine a shell jammed in there. the remington can and will jam under the right circumstances and is a pita to clear. ok in the hunting field but NOT ok for defense. also the six pump shotguns i have tested the mossberg 500 with the short barrel patterns low recoil 00 buck the best. about a 3 inch circle at 30 feet. also penetration tests have borne out fiocchi low recoil to be the least expensive and perfectly adaquate for indoor use. I use the same gun with different barrels for hunting ducks, geese, pheasant, chuckar, dove, and quail. I use an H and R single shot for turkey. Oh and we took the mossberg on a pig hunt but never saw a damn pig!

A shotgun is an excellent suggestion. I just checked out the 870's and I think I like the Marine Magnum version. I've thought about getting a shotgun before, but never did much with the thought. Thanks!

Offline mikestesting

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 05:00:58 PM »
Might look for a nice small handgun. A P-232 SIG, maybe a Kahr, you have some nicer quality stuff already and would appreciate those I believe. Add a custom holster and you ought to be out the door under $850.

Depending on what you see as a scenario for that AR, $1250 should get you in the game. If a plinker, that may well include optics and a several extra mags and dress-up clothes for it ( they are man Barbies after all  ;D  ). Shop around and you'll find a sho' nuff Colts model with all the boxes checked, save up for the dress up clothes and top notch optics.

Yeah, I really want an AR-15 so I can mod it to my liking. Def are man barbies! Regarding the P-232, would you suggest the .380 or the .32 ACP? I have not shot either round.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 05:51:04 PM »

Yeah, I really want an AR-15 so I can mod it to my liking. Def are man barbies! Regarding the P-232, would you suggest the .380 or the .32 ACP? I have not shot either round.
I would certainly get the .380, not sure it would be too easy to find a .32ACP. The smaller would be unique, but I'm pretty sure you would have the same dimensions and weight. I just find them to be a very classy looking pistol.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 08:52:07 AM »
Not a hand gun I know but If I had that kind of dough to burn right now I would get an AR platform in 5.56 for small critters with an extra upper in .458 SOCOM for big or tough critters.  The same mag's are used for both 5.56 and .458 SOCOM.

I would also pick up a dedicated AR in 22lr. for cheap practice and plinking 

I have all the hand guns I want at the moment but perhaps I could be forced to take a good tuned 1911 or Colt SA if I had to.       
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 09:13:19 AM »
I see you are missing a 22LR handgun.
I would take about $500 of your budget and get a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger Mark II or III (pick a model you like) and get some ammo, a few spare mags, and a holster and go out and shoot a little.  A 22LR will help you get better with what other handguns you get or have.
Also since you put down a 1911 a Kimber and the conversion kit would be a good idea that would fit in your budget.

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 11:43:39 AM »
Divide your list into sections. .22lr both pistol and rifle. A centerfire handgun and a rifle. Finally a shotgun.  Go at it methodically.  Remember that even if you do not own them, you should always have ammo for .38Spl and 9mmP.
Look for accurate guns. If they are not accurate you wont enjoy them. Get something you can handle now and in the future. Look for ones that accept common ammo and for which parts are common.  Some are ''nice to have, but dated such as a Garand'' and can wait.
Get ones for which you can reasonably reload and are of reasonable power.  Look for used good guns that represent good quality and reliability.  If you do not already have one-----buy a safe larger than you think you will need.  You will never regret having bought a good safe before you wish you had.   

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 07:41:43 AM »
I would get if i were you:
1. mossberg maverick 500 with 18.5'' barrel and 28'' barrel   (hunting & home protection)
2. 22lr semi auto pistol
3. SKS in 7,62x39  (everyone should have one)
4. Russian izmash saiga in 223 and in 308 with 16'' barrels.
5. CZ82 in 9mm mak
6. 1911 GI or MIL- SPEC model in 45acp 5'' barrel

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 11:55:59 AM »
you   need a 22 SnW target pistol  in a bad way

you also need to rid yourself of the ruger in 357MAX
it won't be long before the cylinder gap flame cuts it in 2

i have a 22 pistol just like you need  with extra clips
i will trade you even.....just because i know you here

you also need a shotgun......same deal  even trade for the worthless 357 MAX
you need 2  ARs.... varmint and tactical
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 10:17:28 AM »

Why he has a Garand that can do both.
Had I only known then what I know now I would not own an AK but would have bought $400 in a reloader and ammo for mine.
suprisingly the M1 is extrememly accurate.
Although my AR is easy on the shoulder.

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 01:59:21 PM »
Go look at quality 1911s like Kimber, Colt or Ruger and get one with the features you want.  That will take care of around half your budget.  The other half will be taken up with a quality AR like a Colt or Rock Riber with the accessories you think you need (this will change).  If you do a little shopping around you should have enough left over for either a 22 RF pistol or a Mosburg Shotgun.  I have one that I bought 25 years ago and it is still going strong after many thousands of shells have gone through it. It came with both a short slug barrel and a 28 inch vent rib one with choke tubes for under $200 at the time.

Offline mikestesting

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 06:36:14 PM »

I appreciate the advice, but the Blackhawk .357 max is worth a little more than what you're offering. I know about the flame cutting. It happens with lighter loads. I also know collectors would love to get their hands on this piece. I'll keep it with me for the time being.

Offline mikestesting

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 06:43:55 PM »

Had I only known then what I know now I would not own an AK but would have bought $400 in a reloader and ammo for mine.

A Garand that can do tactical? That sob is heavy!! When I was 13, my father wanted to get me my first real hunting rifle. He took me out to the range to see if I could handle the M1. He actually considered giving it to me to use as my first hunting rifle. My skinny 13 year old frame could barely lift that rifle to make one shot. LOL. He ended up getting me the .257 roberts rifle instead. He passed away some years ago and I inherited the M1. Hell of a fun gun to shoot. But tactical? I dunno about that one...

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 08:43:23 PM »
With only hints of need from you its pretty hard to make good suggestions.   Tactical seems to be your main interest though.

Sounds like you have your heart set on an AR, so that should be a no brainer for you.   I'd rather have the Garand myself - I have no use for tactical.

No rimfire handguns is a big hole in a personal arsenal IMO.   A cheap way to spend a day shooting and honing skills.   Wish I'd never sold my Colt Ace, but a 1911 with a rimfire conversion kit would be a pretty versatile handgun.  One well worth a looksee is the KelTec PMR-30.   Tactical, hunting and target shooting all rolled into one handgun with a 30 round magazine.

Shotguns is another big hole.   Which one depends on what for though.    I always favored the SXS's and O/U's myself, although I've had auto's, bolts, pumps and single shot's.   But then I only used them for hunting and shooting trap and skeet.

Also missing is any lever guns.   Growing up on a ranch with Winchester's means my early 40's 94 I've had around 56 years will always be the top dog, but there are a lot of good ones out there from several makers, and chambered for quite a few cartridges from rimfire to cannon.

My thing since the mid 60's was specialty single-shot handguns, and many will stay with or surpass rifles to very long ranges.   There are models made that can cover well over 300 cartridges from mouse to mastodon between them with only a quick barrel change.   Very versatile from plinking to target to hunting to sniping.

Have fun shopping all possibilities first before you decide and you will have made the right choices for you.   I did similar in 2004/05, except I didn't have a budget.   Was like a kid in a penny candy store, had a great time and spent 10's of thousands on new guns, scopes, reloading dies/supplies, etc for them (so many I still have some NIB I never got around to, and others were resold still NIB that I knew I never would get around to).       

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 10:31:36 AM »
Well I'm a fine example to you.

I held in my hand a two tone P-232 sat evening. Oh but I wanted it to come home... but, alas there was a Blackhawk in .41mag not 1" away. I could only trade one of my small stable so the Blackhawk came home. I figure I will come across another SIG before another example of the Ruger. Perhaps the stars will align and the SIG will not move for a few months.

Go with the whim it always moves me.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 01:10:32 AM »
If it were me, I'd probably start out buying a T/C frame in either G2 or Encore, that way down the road, you can buy many different calibers and barrels,pistol or rifle. Next would be a flat top AR with picatinney rails. You could bolt on a red dot type scope, tactical, or regular scope for varmint hunting, or, open sights for match shooting. Next would be one of the new .45's,either Remington or Ruger. Can't have enough .45's. Diffinatley a 12ga. pump is in order, I've had both a Rem. 870 and a Mossberg, both worked fine for me. Still have the Remmy. Well, I've spent your $2500+. Good luck-gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 05:22:18 AM »

A Garand that can do tactical? That sob is heavy!! When I was 13, my father wanted to get me my first real hunting rifle. He took me out to the range to see if I could handle the M1. He actually considered giving it to me to use as my first hunting rifle. My skinny 13 year old frame could barely lift that rifle to make one shot. LOL. He ended up getting me the .257 roberts rifle instead. He passed away some years ago and I inherited the M1. Hell of a fun gun to shoot. But tactical? I dunno about that one...
Sure,
A club I belonged to would do a modified 3 gun and limit all mags to 8 rounds.  So guys with a garand could compete.  Well a few guys showed up with them and did really well.
It was designed as a Main battle rifle with the ability to shoot long range as well as have the fire power for close support in laying down fire.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 07:51:15 AM »
Sure,
It was designed as a Main battle rifle with the ability to shoot long range as well as have the fire power for close support in laying down fire.

Ditto that... the main line rifle my airdale units had when I was in the Navy was the Garand.   We had M1 Carbines, BAR's, M1 Thompson's, Colt 1911's and S&W Mod 67's too, but the Garand was the work horse.   I qualified Expert with the Garand, BAR and 1911; Sharpshooter with the Carbine and Model 67.   

Who says boot camp isn't fun?   When I was pulled out of boot for a few weeks and assigned TAD at the A Range in San Diego as a demonstrator and smith, after the days recruits had shot their Garande quals for boot and jumped the buses back to the base, my afternoons were spent hunting jack rabbits and sometimes sky rats with all of them until dark thirty.   ;D ;)
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline mikestesting

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 07:58:15 AM »
If it were me, I'd probably start out buying a T/C frame in either G2 or Encore, that way down the road, you can buy many different calibers and barrels,pistol or rifle. Next would be a flat top AR with picatinney rails. You could bolt on a red dot type scope, tactical, or regular scope for varmint hunting, or, open sights for match shooting. Next would be one of the new .45's,either Remington or Ruger. Can't have enough .45's. Diffinatley a 12ga. pump is in order, I've had both a Rem. 870 and a Mossberg, both worked fine for me. Still have the Remmy. Well, I've spent your $2500+. Good luck-gypsyman

Funny you mention that. I had a T/C Contender collection with the following barrels:
21" 7TCU
14" .375 JDJ
14" .221 fireball
14" 35 Rem
10" 44 mag
10" 41 mag
8" 45 LC

All gone except 2 barrels now. My only regret is selling the carbine barrel and stock. I wished I would have kept it.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 02:34:01 AM »

I appreciate the advice, but the Blackhawk .357 max is worth a little more than what you're offering. I know about the flame cutting. It happens with lighter loads. I also know collectors would love to get their hands on this piece. I'll keep it with me for the time being.

i hate that when people know what they have
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline temmi

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 06:41:25 AM »
Ruger Blackhawk chambered in .45 Colt 7.5 inch tube