Author Topic: Thinking 'bout the 629 Classic . . .  (Read 913 times)

Offline Ranger413

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Thinking 'bout the 629 Classic . . .
« on: February 02, 2004, 04:05:01 AM »
Gun Tests recently did an article comparing the 629 Classic and the Redhawk.  Got my attention.  

I currently have a Super Redhawk in .44 Mag that I'm thinking of trading off.  It has a 9 1/2" barrel and an UltraDot.  I've got one deer with it this year.  I've stepped up to the Encore in .308 as my new pistol rig so I don't feel the need for the SRH anymore.

The use for the 629 would be a "woods" carry gun.  I don't forsee carrying it concealed during daily travels, I have a gun for that already.  Lookin for something to pack on my hip while hunting that could double as a "close-in" shooter for deer.  Probably limiting shots to less than 50 yards.  May also forsee it as a back-up gun while in bear country at a much later date.

The 629 Classic with a 5" barrel has my interest right now.  What do y'all think?  Thanks!

Ranger413
Life is like a dogsled team, if you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 04:37:33 AM »
Good idea!  I like the 6.5" barrel myself, but the shorter barrel will be fine too, I'm sure.  It's a great pistol.  It does carry very nicely in a hip holster, too.
Safety first

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
629 Classic
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 04:47:49 AM »
Ranger - nice choice.  My preference for 44 mags.  I've a 29-2 that used to sport a 6.5" bbl but sent it back to the factory for a slim Mountain Gun bbl and she is just a lightweight sweetheart to pack around.  Even with the 4" bbl she groups 'bunny wabbits' with open sights at 50 yds and gets better than whitetail groups at 100 yds wtih both 240s and 265s.  You're really gonna like that Classic.  Mikey.

Offline Omaha-BeenGlockin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 04:53:13 AM »
I have that exact model----only thing is---I've had it for 3 months now and still haven't gotten around to shooting it yet.

Maybe when it warms up?? Plus we just got 30 inches of snow in the last 10 days---with more coming :shock: .

Oh well---a proper range report to come----someday.

Offline Hcliff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 08:35:15 AM »
I love the 629 classic. I have had one for years.  Get the Pachmyer grips   They are nicer and handle recoil better than the Hogue that come with the gun (palm is covered)

Hcliff

Offline Ranger413

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 05:54:32 PM »
Hcliff,

Wouldn't happen to have a pic of your pistol with those grips would you?

Ranger413
Life is like a dogsled team, if you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.

Offline southern utah

• Contributor
    • http://www.jsi-guns-hunting-firearms.com
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 07:15:28 PM »
My favorite trail gun is a 629 4 " mountain gun. I have a classic 6 1/2 " with night sights for back elk hunting. Have a spare classic high gloss NIB w/ hogue and pac grips possible sale or trade.

Offline Ranger413

• Contributor
Got One!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2004, 07:11:51 AM »
Well, I did it.  I stopped by a local gun shop and he had exactly what I wanted.  S&W 629 Classic w/ 5" barrel.  Unfortunately he also had a 6" version as well.  I was like a kid in a candy store . . . decisions, decisions.  I ended up going with the 5" barrel for easier carry.  But, both felt good in my hands.  Tomorrow I plan on hitting the range with some cast loads, XTP handloads, and some factory stuff.  Can't wait.

Ranger413

Offline Hcliff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2004, 09:57:24 AM »
I don't have a pic handy but can see what I can come up with.  Those grips are grat.  It is funny I got the Pachmeyr for my Super Redhawk and hate them on that.  Different angle and wider.  

My gun like mid to heavier bullet by the way

Hcliff

Offline Ranger413

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2004, 04:25:55 PM »

New and unfired . . . not for long.

Offline Ranger413

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2004, 09:42:03 AM »
I went to the range today.  Was barely 30 degrees so I didn't spend a whole lot of time there.  I managed to fire 25 rounds of my cast loads and 3 rounds of some hot HP handloads.

The cast are 215gr. SWC over 9.0gr. Unique.  
HP loads are 200gr. Hornady XTP over 28.0gr. H110

I started out at the 25 yard line from the bench to see where the factory setting on the sights would put me.  Right on!  I fired the first round and couldn't see where it hit.  The second round fell dead center in the bulls-eye.  I noticed a big black hole there instead of the white paper.  After 3 shots I saw a nice 1 1/2" group centered around the bull.

I ripped off a few rounds to play around on the steel targets.  What fun.  Then I settled down a bit and shot at the 50 yard target.  WOW!  After firing 3 rounds I walked up and saw a very nice 1 9/16" group about 1 1/2" low and 1" to the left.  I didn't adjust the sights any, saving that for the next time out.  Got a pic of the target I'll post here when hunt101.com is back up and running.

Conclusions:

1.  This is my first S&W handgun and man am I impressed with it's accuracy.  1 1/2" is about the best I ever got with the Ruger SRH that I traded on the Classic.  I got about that with open sights and 5" barrel -  no red dot and 9 1/2" barrel like on the SRH.

2.  There is some bite to the web of the hand.  Especially with the 200gr. XTP loads.  Love the fireball at the end of the barrel too.  I may look into getting the Pachmyer grips or another version that covers the backstrap for added cushion.

3.  The single action trigger pull is outstanding.  Leaps and bounds better than my old Ruger.  There is no take up and it breaks the cleanest of any of my gun's triggers.  I think I bought a quality product.   :grin:

Ranger413

Offline Ranger413

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2004, 02:04:56 PM »
These are my first efforts at 50 yards.  Not too shabby!  

Offline Arc Angel

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2004, 02:51:12 PM »
  :)  Generally speaking, if you're used to shooting a Ruger revolver, you'll love the switch to S&W.  (Cleaner, crisper, action with less creep.)  I own a Model 29-2 with an 8 3/8" barrel, as well as a 629 Classic with a heavy underlugged 6 1/2" barrel.  They, both, feel and balance about the same.  Neither one of them will, ever, be for sale.  Both are excellent 100 yard shooters.  

You've done well, Grasshopper; enjoy that new 44 magnum!  ;D 
Illegitimati Non Carborundum!

Offline X-man

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2004, 01:57:25 PM »
Anybody own a 629 with the unfluted cylinder? My local shop had some in stock a couple of years ago, I'm still kicking myself for not buying one then. I currently own a 6" 629 I purchased off of a neighbor about 6 years ago. It was my first .44 mag. It had less than 50 rounds though it, came with lovely goncalo alves target grips, fluted cylinder and it was sans full underlug. I belive it was of late 1970s or early 1980s vintage. I like it a lot, but there is something appealing about that unfluted cylinder and full underlug barrel of the other 629 that appeals to me. Anybody currently own/shooting one of these beauties. Love to hear your opinons of them. Thanks.
"...Only accurate rifles are interesting."

- Colonel Townsend Whelen

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004, 03:03:41 PM »
X-Man I have your 629, full under lug, un-fluted cylinder only thing is that it is a 657-5PC :)  :). Sorry about that but I couldn't help myself. :wink:
Love those .41s'

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2004, 11:00:48 PM »
got to love those n frames. YOu got a nice piece there. You will be thankful that you got the 5 inch. I prefer the 4 but even a 5 inch will make a nice packing piece. The smiths cost a little more then a Ruger and arent as tough but in my experience they are usually better shooters out of the box and there about the only gun of any kind  that comes from the factory with an exceptable trigger anymore.
blue lives matter

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2004, 02:25:43 PM »
From what I've seen lately, Smith is making better stuff than at any time since the 50's, it stands up to almost anyone's best.  Their prices aren't exactly bargains, but the proof is in the shooting.  Personally, I think a five-inch barrel is just about perfect for a field gun, three-inch for a hideout.  I harbor a secret desire for a five-inch 657, but I'd have to sell something else first.   :(   Oh, and yes, the single-action pull on every Smith gun I've owned was nothing short of terrific.
Enjoy that new blaster, it will keep a smile on your face!   :wink:
PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?