Author Topic: Can anyone help me identify this rifling?  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Can anyone help me identify this rifling?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2012, 06:47:58 AM »
Zulu,
Yeah, I know the drill; magnificent, superb, stellar, excellent, fantasic, splendiferous, etc., etc., etc. :P ;)  Okay, now that I fixed it so your hats can't even cover the very top of your head ;D; would you please answer this question? Did you ever ask this fellow why he picked that color, and if you did, what was his response? :o
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2012, 07:43:57 AM »
Cannoneer,
From the beginning, the Austin Military Forces Museum Curator wanted it painted instead of stained.  His reasoning was that it was more historically accurate.  He is probably right on that count although I'll always prefer stain.  He initially wanted it black until I pointed out that all the hardware would be black also and there would be no contrast.  Then he found this picture of a gun carriage on the USS Constellation.  He liked the paint color.  He wanted it flat.  I got a sample and he approved it. 
It is not what I would have chosen either. :-\ :-\

I deliver it to Austin tomorrow.  I just took these pictures in my driveway before loading it in my truck.
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2012, 10:12:11 AM »
Well that's news to me, I never read of them being painted sand. I know that colors fade and current photos sometimes make the carriages look pale, but I thought the Constitution's carriages were supposed to be a shade of red that looked like terra cotta, and for a period of time in the early 1800's an ochre color that resembled the British ochre used in Admiral Nelson's time, then later in the 1800's they woud have been painted black. Well, whatever the case may be, I think that color looks like you know what, but I just loves the carriage. :D

Where was that first photo taken?

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2012, 10:44:24 AM »

Where was that first photo taken?

The first photo above was pulled from the internet and was on the deck of the USS Constellation.
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 04:14:55 AM »
Zulu,

When I saw USS Constellation, I automatically assumed that it was the first Constellation being discussed (the sister ship of the Constitution and the other four original frigates), but I believe that color is also wrong for a mid 1800's U.S. warship. I got these photos off the net, and they're of guns from the second Constellation now at Chesapeake Bay. One shows the tan color of the carriage in the photo you posted, and the other two show carriages painted gray (I'm guessing this preceded the tan paint jobs). As far as I know, the correct color for those carriages would be black; so I'd like to talk to the people that did the research, just to find out what their sources were.
I know you only painted it like the customer wanted, but did you feel crummy when you were slappin' that paint on?  ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenmaciejewski/2610968028/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »
Cannoneer,
Yes I felt bad about the paint.
On the other hand, I delivered it to a very happy customer yesterday.  So that's what counts the most.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 02:27:25 PM »
And presumably, the paint can be stripped when and if the owner changes his mind.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 05:03:45 AM »
Cannoneer,
Yes I felt bad about the paint.
On the other hand, I delivered it to a very happy customer yesterday.  So that's what counts the most.
Zulu

Zulu,
I forgot that "the customer is always right"; probably, because I don't have any danged customers! :o :P

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 10:15:20 AM »
Here are a few pictures of the barrel sitting on it's new carriage in the Austin Military Forces Museum.
I must say that is my least favorite carriage that I have made so far.  I don't like the color.  I think the barrel is way to skinny and I had to make the carriage to match the barrel. :-[ :-[ :P
The old field carriage that the gun used to sit on is still there.  The Curator says that he is having a six pounder barrel made to fit the carriage.  It will represent the Civil War in the Museum.  The new barrel will have to be very skinny also to fit the carriage. :-\ :-\
I asked him who was making his barrel and he said he could'nt remember the name but it was someone in Virginia.
I will see if I can dig that info out of him.
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 03:55:00 AM »
The Austin Military Forces Museum is having a six pounder barrel made for the old field carriage.
It is being made by a gentleman named Don Tolefson of Virginia.
Anyone ever hear of him?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2012, 10:26:48 AM »
It is being made by a gentleman named Don Tolefson of Virginia.
Anyone ever hear of him?
Zulu

Just speculation, but according to google he owns a sheet metal manufacturing company, and he lives within 10 miles of where I saw a sheet metal 13" seacoast mortar earlier this year. The mortar below looks pretty good, although the lifting lug isn't thick enough and the steps are too thin. Driving by at a distance had me fooled until I started wondering what kind of springs that trailer had.  ;D

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2012, 11:32:11 AM »
That is probably him.  The mortar does look pretty good. ;D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2012, 11:44:43 AM »
But I'll bet it rings when you tap on it unless he has filled it with foam.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill