Author Topic: Premature Ignition - Cannon Accident  (Read 2012 times)

Offline The Jeff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Premature Ignition - Cannon Accident
« on: June 03, 2012, 10:17:05 AM »
A few days ago I heard a cousin of mine had built a cannon. All I knew about it was that it was ~3' long, and he was shooting frozen coke cans out of it on half a pound of powder and used shop rags as wadding. I meant to send him a few pointers on safe construction, loads, and loading procedures but I've just learned that I'm a bit too late.

As best I can tell this all happened yesterday evening. He'd shot the cannon a number of times and was pouring more powder down the barrel when it went off in his face. 10% of his body is burned and he's got debris in his eyes and no vision. Today they flushed his eyes out and he's got blurry vision and he's currently in surgery for the burns.

I called my uncle to get the specs on how the cannon was built and this is what I understood him to say. The barrel was a piece of "Shelby Pipe" 3.5" OD and 3/8" thick walls, so that leaves a 2.75" bore. The breech plug was 2.75" diameter by 5/8" thick and welded into the bore, then a 3.5" diameter 5/8" thick plate was welded onto the back. Major construction issues and thankfully the whole thing didn't come apart on him.

Here are the main issues I see, and there are probably more:
1. Excessive loads
2. Not swabbing the barrel and leaving burning embers
3. No aluminum foil powder packets
4. Not plugging the vent while reloading
5. Standing in front of the barrel while loading
6. Insufficient wall thickness at the breech
7. Spotty breech plug construction 
8. Wadding

I guess the main piece of advice from me is to simply learn what you're doing! Pure ignorance caused this accident. Another cousin is supposed to email me a picture of the cannon and I'll post that when I get it, and I'll keep this thread updated with any pertinent information as I find out about it.

Offline subdjoe

Re: Premature Ignition - Cannon Accident
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 10:55:27 AM »
Pure ignorance caused this accident.

Yeah, that pretty much covers it. 

But you gotta add in at least a small dose of not thinking about the physics of the operation. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 11:26:07 AM »
From the discription of the injuries this sounds more like a mortar than a cannon...
Glad to hear he survived and I hope his sight will be o.k...... Prayers sent..
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 04:43:29 PM »
It's kind of hard to think his injuries are lucky until you think what could have easily happened.

Here is a nice looking cannon made to smaller than our recommended dimensions (but thicker than the above one.)  Maybe the material will save them.  Waiting for charge and shot weight numbers.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 10:23:09 PM »
 The Jeff,

I'm sorry to hear about your Cousin's injuries, especially to his eyes. I've had two viral infections that permenantly damaged mine. Since he's regained some vision (thank God) this soon after the injury, it's likely his eyes will heal well.

Please folks, even if you're not at a range that requires it, use some kind of eye protection when using your cannons (no matter what other safety procedures you're adhering to). The cost of safety glasses is negligible compared to the value of your sight.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 10:13:59 AM »
I think you are absolutely right, Victor. I always wear eye protection when firing pistol and rifle, and the same precaution is followed when firing cannon and mortar (I don't understand why some believe that firing the latter doesn't call for for the same safety routine practiced when using firearms). Of course I also see those that don't wear eye protection when shooting firearms, and I see them very clearly too.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Triple D

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 11:47:04 AM »
Did your cousin live in Idaho?  My nephew, who is a cop in Saint Maries, responded to a call just like that.
Here is the email I received from my sister:

It started when Scott was talking to me and got an emergency call from dispatch.  He sounded puzzled, hesitant and said he had to go.

Several hours later he calls back and said I just have to tell someone what happened.  He said, this could only happen is St. Maries...one of Bumpkinville's finest built his own cannon.  3" diameter something or another?  Put the thing in the middle of the street and fired it off two times.  On third go around the barrel of the cannon was still extremely hot...the drunk guy loads the cannon and goes to push the gun powder in and it blows up in his face. 

Needless to say Scott was at the hospital with the guy who was screaming and yelling he can't see.  Probably they would have to hellovac him to Spokane Sacret Hearts burn center.

Scott big told Scott Lil did you tell the guy the next time you want your face ripped off to go to Florida and let some insane person bite it off.  Of course they laughed to help relieve the stress of seeing such a traumatic thing.  Scott said drinking...he can't stand it.  It's also a full moon and the emergency rooms, and doctor's offices tend to see a lot of crazy people outdoors and in the middle of bad situations.

Scott said the guy couldn't talk, was in bad shape and still had paper or cloth stuck to his face in the hospital.  The paper or cloth was on fire when it blew up in his face.

End of email..........
I wore Confederate Gray back in the day

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 01:54:18 PM »
Did your cousin live in Idaho?  My nephew, who is a cop in Saint Maries, responded to a call just like that.
Holy smokes word gets around! Yeah that's the one. Still no pictures of the cannon, but I've heard they were also loading it with acetylene. 1/2 a pound of powder (no idea the granulation), blow a few seconds of acetylene down the vent and then light the fuse.  :o

I've been told two other people were injured, one had minor burns and the other guy went deaf for a while before gradually getting some hearing back.

Since he's regained some vision (thank God) this soon after the injury, it's likely his eyes will heal well.
Unfortunately (from what I've been told) the burns and powder go down into his cornea. He can make out an 8" tall E at 2 feet with one eye and 4 feet with the other, but that's about it. They said they might be able to do a cornea transplant in a year once the eyes have fully healed. At least the burns are healing well, but practically loosing your eyesight must be horrible.

It's kind of hard to think his injuries are lucky until you think what could have easily happened.
Yes it could have been worse, too bad it didn't turn out like Zulu's post.

This accident is spurring me into making some sort of infographic that outlines the major safety tips in making and shooting cannons. The stickies on this board are a great resource, but I think there could be a definite use for something easier to grasp.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 03:15:47 PM »

...the drunk guy loads the cannon

End of email..........

And THAT is likely 75% of the cause right there.  Powder and alcohol don't mix.  Guns get used.  Guns get cleaned.  Guns and munitions get secured. THEN the alcohol might come out. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 04:37:57 PM »
Thats terrible.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 07:19:06 PM »
I might also bring up the hooked end safety rammer.  Not particularly period but it keeps the rammer operator away from the muzzle which would have been a good thing here, and also does not present a head to injure the hand if a premature ignition occurs.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 11:13:38 PM »
I might also bring up the hooked end safety rammer.  Not particularly period but it keeps the rammer operator away from the muzzle which would have been a good thing here, and also does not present a head to injure the hand if a premature ignition occurs.

The authenticity (over safety) thing with many groups is scary.

A friend of mine, a CW & WWII reenactor for ~50 years, would never wear eye protection and I never saw any of his buddies wear any either. Even those who wore prescription glasses would only use contacts during CW events because glasses were not "period."

And the Rev War folks firing flintlocks without eye protection? Not for me. An exposed BP charge going off a few inches from one's face isn't something to gamble with IMO.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 12:04:17 AM »
Since he's regained some vision (thank God) this soon after the injury, it's likely his eyes will heal well.
Unfortunately (from what I've been told) the burns and powder go down into his cornea. He can make out an 8" tall E at 2 feet with one eye and 4 feet with the other, but that's about it. They said they might be able to do a cornea transplant in a year once the eyes have fully healed. At least the burns are healing well, but practically loosing your eyesight must be horrible.

I can say from experience that it's terrifying.

I pray that the prognosis is wrong. The cornea has an amazing ability to heal, even from burns. Do whatever you can to help your Cousin not to lose hope. It will be a depressing time for him and he'll need all the support he can get.

Sherlock Holmes

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 01:31:33 AM »
Best Wishes to your Cousin. 

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 09:23:05 AM »
another problem with this type of injury is the unburned powder forced into and under the skin... I knew a fellow who had a swivel gun fail and he had black powder grains buried his face and in the whites of his eyes.....he was lucky he didn't lose his sight...... I hope the doctors can do something for your cousins sight.... any word if this was a cannon or mortar? 

When I re-enacted the American Revolution we used flash guards on all our muskets I wear glasses and found a period pair for which I had new lenses ground these saved me on one occasion when I was firing uphill and it was windy I got a face full of flash the glasses took the brunt of it all I had to do is wipe them off and continue shooting....... being more careful firing uphill.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 12:09:58 PM »
Period style glasses can be bought and your prescription fitted.  No excuse for not wearing.

Offline bluelake

• Avid Poster
    • 1871 US Military Action in Korea
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 12:28:04 PM »
another problem with this type of injury is the unburned powder forced into and under the skin...

I know that one only too well.  Just this past Friday, I was firing my matchlock for a Korean TV show.  I had what I thought was a misfire, but it turned out to be a long hangfire.  I was moving my right hand to secure the matchcord and close the primer pan when the primer ignited.  My right index finger was peppered with unburned powder; the next day, as my finger had swollen, I had a doctor pick out the bp, grain-by-grain (not fun).  It's doing well now, but I'll probably have a bit of a tattoo.  It's also a good lesson why any firearm is always pointed downrange.