Author Topic: my new Pietta 1858 new army  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Matt85

• Trade Count: (0)
my new Pietta 1858 new army
« on: June 03, 2012, 08:54:05 PM »
hello all im a new member on the forum and new to BP (but not new to firearms). i recently purchased a pietta 1858 new army from the local cabela's along with some basic shooting/cleaning supplies. of course now ive got questions  ;D :

1. im using pyrodex as powder and didnt notice till after i was shooting but it says in the manual to use a lighter load of pyrodex then you would use with BP (28 grains vrs 35 grains). while shooting the puppy i used 25, 30, and 35 grains (didnt know not to) and would say i had the best results with 35 grains. i also have some pyrodex pellets which claim to be equal to 30 grains of standard pyrodex but having compared 30 grains of standard to the pellet, the pellet is MUCH more powerfull id say the pellets would probably be on par with 35-40 grains of the powder. now for my question: what kinda powder load do you guys use and recomend for a pietta 1858 and will loading the pistol to 35 grains and or using the pellets hurt my pistol?

2: i did have one repeating issue while out shooting, the spent caps tended to bind up the action and even cause a few misalligned hammer drops. im using CCI #10 caps, would you recomend a different brand to solve this issue? if the brand change wont help, what will?

thank you
-Matt

Offline Needles

• Avid Poster
  • What the Thinker thinks the Prover proves.
Re: my new Pietta 1858 new army
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 11:34:15 PM »
If you use a standard powder measure for black powder, and use the same VOLUME of Pyrodex, you will be correct. In other words, if your powder flask has a spout that measures out 30 gr of black powder, it will hold the equivalent of Pyrodex, too, but the Pyrodex will weigh less. It'll still be the correct charge.
Jim

"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, the night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."  Patrick Rothfuss

Offline lrrice

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
    • Rice Custom Knives
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 04:18:55 AM »
To start out with, the 58 is one tough revolver.  Before I knew better, I would fill the cylinders and crush a ball ore conical down on top with no harm in my gun.  Obviously this is not conducive to good accuracy or a terribly intelligent decision.  I shoot 30 grains of holy black or 30 grain volume equivalent of pyrodex.  I never have shot pellets and never will.  For one, they're too expensive and two, it takes away some of the nostalgia for me.  I would venture to guess if they say they are 30 grain equivalent then they probably are, maybe just a difference in ignition. 

Unlike my Colts, I have never really had much trouble with caps binding in my 58.  That said, you can often cant the gun a bit up and to the side as you cock it and the cap will simply fall off.  I use # 11 Remington caps and "ding the end of them with my thumb nail to keep them in place until fired.  I have also used the same method on #11 CCIs with similar results.  Maybe this is why mine tend to fall free of the gun with out binding.

Above all, enjoy your new gun, never let the sun set on it dirty and it will be as reliable as any other.  You will pick up little tricks as you go along and get to know its "personality".

Offline Matt85

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 09:56:19 AM »
i bought the pellets thinking they would be perfect for my less then patient friends who would wanna shoot but not wait for powder to be measured out. i personally dont mind taking the time to measure my own shots. ive onley got 30 rounds threw it at the moment, the cabela's was outa 44 caliber balls so im waiting on some hornady balls i ordered online.

Offline Draxx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 12:34:32 PM »
 I shoot what my power spout throws (around 28 grs per a measure) using pyrodex / CCI #11 caps and am pleased with the results as far as accuracy and reliablity. I have tried stouter charges up to around 35gr with no benefit aside from more recoil.

Generally it seems like the popped cap stays put under the hammer til I cock the gun, then it just falls away. If you are placing the caps by hand (not a capper) try giving them a slight pinch or squeeze first to make them fit the nipple tightly. Then when you cock the gun after firing, tip it a bit to the right so the spent cap falls to the ground..just a few thoughts to give a try.

Offline Matt85

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:48:24 PM »
i recently figured out that Remington size 10 caps seem to fit much better on this pistol. i will find out if the same issue persists with these new caps this weekend.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 12:30:42 AM »
Are you pointing the revolver up when you cock the hammer?  This would let the old cap fall out.

Tony

Offline L

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 04:55:21 PM »
I got one of those uh... a couple weeks ago.... with the purty case color hardened frame.....

currently useing about 30 grains (volume) of fffg hodgdon triple 7 (which i highly recommend)

the reason i say "about" is my tc/ u view measure set at 30grns takes more powder than my "30" grn spout on

my powder flask.

i need a holster....

hope that helps

L