Author Topic: As promised- .410 Slugger penetration test pics  (Read 1471 times)

Offline j4l

• Trade Count: (0)
As promised- .410 Slugger penetration test pics
« on: June 04, 2012, 04:14:13 AM »
LoL. This one was a lot of fun. Went out back a few min ago, and tested 2 .410 Remington Slugger Slugs.

Test 1 was into a 1" pine board (more than a little wet) ,2 x 1 gallon water jugs, 1 more 1" pine board- backstopped- against the 10" thick back wall of my house.

I took video- with the camera focused on the point of impact- side/profile view. Will post that once I get it uploaded. Let's say it's funny as hell. On impact- the whole scene just erupts.
The 1st jug of water simply exploded- sprayed water nearly 30 feet in every direction it could, and the shock wave blew my camera (approx 5 feet away to the side) nearly 3 feet sideways, and drenched it.
(going to have to dry out the cam b4 i try to download the vid lol)

Blew a fairly clean .40 cal hole clean through the board-

Back side of board-

Obliterated the water jug

And fragmented all to hell. Practically disintegrated. The only piece of the slug itself, that I could find anywhere in that mess was this tiny fragment inside the remains of the 1st water jug.

2nd jug remained intact. I think the explosion in the water just fragmented the slug too much to continue any further.
The muzzle energy though-send a shock wave through everything else- with enough force to split the board on which the test media was stood.

Now for test #2.  This time, we fire into that poor, old, Dell ATX tower again. But through a soggy/soaked phone book that had some intact parts left over from the past tests.

Didnt get vid of this shot- cam is still drying out- but I wish I had, as the bare pics dont do the impact justice. Made one loud thump when it hit- and shook up a dust -cloud of dust/dirt/leaves and debris from previous tests about 10-12 feet into the air, behind the targets.

Point of impact was just about where I aimed for. And, again, a nice, clean .40 bore hole.

Open up to about 1/3 of the way into what remains of the phone book, and we can see where the Slug began to mushroom out into a bigger projectile- appears to still be somewhat intact at this point.

It did, however, deflect upwards from there on out, at a steep angle- exiting the back of the phone book closer to the top, and entering the side of the ATX tower. Here is the entry wound on the tower-

It passed through the thin steel of the Power Supply housing of the tower-

and behind the ATX, at the base of the tree- the only fragments of the slug I was able to find.

Offline j4l

Re: As promised- .410 Slugger penetration test pics
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 04:20:16 AM »
So, my take on it? Within it's limits, and with reasonable expectations, I think it will work fine for critter control around here. Could even come in -in a pinch- for anti-personnel use, if need be. These shots were all taken from roughly 25 yards, so I think the impacts were pretty good for a light projectile like this.
Cant wait to get my hands on some of those Brene slugs to try out tho.

Offline j4l

Offline DeerSlayer777

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 12:22:57 AM »
Great! we need to do these test more often. Being an avid 410'ist, I'm always looking for a good test.

Thanks

Offline upnut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 11:14:46 AM »
Thanks for the pics and report! Pretty much the same experience with my tests, the little Sluggers splinter on contact. The Brenneke 2 1/2" Close Encounter were on a par with the Sluggers for accuracy in my slug gun, are made of harder alloys, and inspire more confidence for deep penetration....but at $8.99/box not my first choice for plinking milk jugs or the occasional wood chuck. I'll keep some on hand, but the majority will be bulk-pack Sluggers.

Here's the Brenneke:Close Encounter .410 GA 2 1/2''

Scott B.

BTW....I wouldn't shoot towards the house with the Brennekes, you may be patching the brick wall...YMMV

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 01:35:39 PM »
Excellent post! I think me and the boy will shoot some 410 tomorrow.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline celt1314

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 05:36:41 AM »
Very cool! Never considered a 410 but the more I read about them the more I see the need for one. Thanks for the test!
Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will loose both, and deserve neither." --Benjamin Franklin

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 05:52:04 AM »
Thanks for the  test, I've shot barrels and fence post with .410 slugs, wouldn't hesitate to harvest a deer from my blind if that was all I had..
  Brenneke brought out a slug for the 28ga. recently, now I have the jones fer a 28ga. topper....
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 04:05:50 PM »
I'm glad to hear that Brenneke makes 28 gauge slugs. Their 3" 410 slugs work great in my son's Versa Pack.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783