Author Topic: Decisions, decisions...  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Needles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • What the Thinker thinks the Prover proves.
Decisions, decisions...
« on: June 05, 2012, 12:09:31 PM »
I'm trying to decide between two 5.5" barrel guns. Both are Italian reproductions. First there's the 1851 Colt Navy Sheriff. I found one in .44 cal with a case hardened steel frame. The other is a short barreled Remington 1858 .44. The Remington is on sale for $199; the Colt is $250. Both are blued. I already have a Remington .44 with the 8" barrel in stainless. (Pietta, I think--- it's about 20 years old.) Any of you fellas have experience with either, or both? Any pros or cons I should know about? From reading posts on new guns, it seems like lately, the Colt pattern guns can have some issues on fitment. (I can deal with minor problems, but substandard QC annoys me.) I'm assuming both are about equal in accuracy, muzzle velocity, etc.
Jim

"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, the night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."  Patrick Rothfuss

Offline Draxx

• GBO Supporter
Re: Decisions, decisions...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 03:45:32 PM »
 I have the Pietta "sheriff" model 1858 from Cabelas you mention. I have probably 300 shots through it and could not be happier with. The workmanship is really good for a $200.00 gun. I love the size of the gun, it is actually a length that allows handy shooting and carry in a holster.

I have had no issues with reliability, I use pyrodex charges of about 28 grs and CCI #11 caps. I recommend the gun. A friend who had never dealt with black powder guns liked the thing so much and was so pleased with the price he grabbed one for $199.00 as well. He is pleased as punch with it.

Offline Needles

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 02:45:25 AM »
Well, I ordered the Remington. I've always liked the cylinder support on top and bottom, and I'm familiar enough with the Remington model that I'm comfortable with it. Plus the $199 price didn't hurt! It should be here within a week.  ;D
Jim

"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, the night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."  Patrick Rothfuss

Offline Matt85

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 09:16:56 AM »
i think the colt models are great looking guns and i may get one someday but... nothing like the look and feel of a Remington!

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:01:29 PM »
A little late to this party, but you can't go wrong with the Remington
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Needles

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 12:53:53 AM »
Just for all you who are keeping score. After getting the '58 Remington, I stumbled across a steel framed Sheriff model '51 Colt Navy (Pietta) in .44 for $229. I'd had a particularly good week, so I ordered that one, too. Now I have to figure out how to explain that to my wife. (I'm going to try, "I forgot!")  ::) I'll get some photos together soon.
Jim

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 03:04:22 PM »
I just got a Pietta Remmie brand new.  One cylinder chamber mouth is two thousandths larger than the others.  otherwise, The gun has nice fit and finish.