Author Topic: Looking to buy a cannon  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Brewort

• Trade Count: (0)
Looking to buy a cannon
« on: June 11, 2012, 12:47:39 PM »
Hi all,
I am new to this forum so please bear with me if this question has been asked before.
There are two cannons I am looking at, one is the large Napoleon on Dixie gun works MC0615, and the other is traditions Napoleon III.  The description are fairly vague. The both are .69 caliber and look very similar. Before I invest $800 I would like to know if anyone has used either of these cannons?
I am looking for something that looks good, loud, and made of high quality and that would last a lifetime. So far these are the ones that have the look I like, if anyone knows of one that is better please let me know, time is running out and I would like to get it by this 4th of July.  Ideally one made in the USA would be my first choice

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Looking to buy a cannon
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 01:05:19 PM »
 :)

Offline buzz36

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 01:06:11 PM »
both these are same if im not mistaken both are very nicely done and are about as loud as a pistol in 69 cal
I have owned one of the dixie  guns that was ssecond hand to me and only fired it few times and sold it only to go bigger bore and bigger bang with much more smoke so be careful
these usualy show up on evilbay or gum broker for much  less

Offline Brewort

Looking to buy a cannon
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 01:14:33 PM »
I tried posting photos but my iPad won't allow it, they are different. Is .69 big enough bang for the buck?

Offline buzz36

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 06:22:56 PM »
Depends mine was just to small and reminded me of  my single shot pistols
I to would suggest  check out he sponsers here but then again  if you want somehting ready to shoot by just adding powder and ball
realy depense on whatyou want but i sayyou can do much better searching other place for  less money and little work

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 06:20:01 AM »
First of all welcome to the site. Next if you don't have a pair, buy a set of reading glasses so you can familiarize yourself with how Black Powder cannons work, and the proper and safe way to use them. Next go to the sponsors section and check out their merchandise, also there are members who make all kinds of parts for cannon use out of there workshops. I have used them and I have been very satisfied by the results and some have become email buddies. My choice has been Michael at Brooks Brass jsbrooks-usa.com He makes some great brass cannons. I have am 50 cal. (first) 69 cal. (second) and another 69 cal. (third) and a 1" bore being made at this time. All with naval carriages. However that was my choice. There are guys like Zulu, Dominick, Rocklock1, armorerr77  and so that do great work.   Enjoy your search and remember keep your powder dry.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 07:24:05 AM »
Delete

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 12:50:14 AM »
Just checked the DGW site, the large Napoleon is the Traditions .69, one may be an older picture but they are the same. If you have a little free time you might save yourself some money and buy one of the kit versions. They're a bit cheaper than finished models and give you the satisfaction of building it.

Offline Brewort

Looking to buy a cannon
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 01:18:35 AM »
Thanks for the responses, I have not found any kits in the napoleon style, spoke wheels etc.  I been in contact with a seller over an older jukar CVA cannon that is similar to what I earlier posted. Differences are painted wood, steel barrel and missing the original ramrod and cleaning rod (he is willing to throw in a pair of home made ones) he is asking $550, the new one from Dixie gun works is $800 with a nickel plated barrel an all the accessories is buying the new one worth the extra $250? 

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 02:28:54 AM »
The only Napoleon kit DGW sells is the smaller. 50 Cal.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 05:40:48 AM »
Brewort,
I've got one of the old CVA .69 caliber Napoleons, and it's a well made cannon, in fact it's the gun I use to compete in our annual postal shoot; but if I was going the spend the money that these guns cost today, I'd choose to buy a larger bore barrel, and build the carriage myself (I'd also have to buy the wheels).
BTW, I don't think that it's worth the extra $250.00 to get a new "Traditions" model.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Brewort

Looking to buy a cannon
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 07:43:49 AM »
What size bore would you recommend?

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 11:32:48 AM »
In my previous post I said what I would do now, so this isn't a recommendation, it's just me airing my current preferences; and I've decided to go with 1-inch and over bores from now on. Lately I've been mulling over getting a U.S. Model 1861 8-inch Siege Howitzer in golf ball sized bore from one of our sponsors. You're going to have to decide what size and kind of scale artillery would best meet your needs for a first buy, and believe me when I tell you that your first buy is in all likelihood not going to be your last buy. 
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline buzz36

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 01:05:31 PM »
I read  as much as you can and then decide whatyou wantto use it for
might i sugest you chat to the sponser here and check out Utube and see what others are shooting as well as your traditions/cva cannons and see what you want
most here use there cannons more then a casualy
im not putting down the traditions cannon or simular but isure you can do jsut as nice or n icer for less doing some research here onthe forum

Offline dynomike1x1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 01:48:43 PM »
Go to this post. This is the one Armour77 just built for me.  HMR 1/4 scale Mtn. Howitzer on page 2

There are very few probablms that can't be solved with explosives.
2/115FA

Offline The Hayman

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 02:37:06 PM »
 I'm pretty new to cannons and this site, so I'm not that removed from your position. I think I lucked out when I found my present cannon, but the real luck came in finding this forum. Read the stickey's and spend some time reading past posts. I think my next will be one of those HMR guns. They fit my taste and budget, and armour77 has gained my respect. If I had $30,000 to spend……..well there are others here who could make me a fair trade.
Best,
The Hayman (just a dumb farmer)

Offline lthardman

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 03:34:21 PM »
I have one of the Traditions Napoleons in .69 caliber with nickel plated barrel.  It shoots great, is real easy to clean and carry, and got me hooked on cannons.  Actually, I always have been.  I now have four others, including a soda can mortar made by Dominick and my latest which is an HMR 1841 with a GB bore that I pictured here in a recent thread.  Others have said to go bigger, my experience says that might be a good idea.

Offline Brewort

Looking to buy a cannon
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 03:35:46 PM »
I am using an iPhone app to read this forum, I am going to have to get a computer to see these stickies everyone is talking about.  If I were to get a barrel machined is there someplace to get the hardware, and wheels?

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 04:34:25 PM »
 8)

Offline Brewort

Looking to buy a cannon
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 01:14:55 AM »
Any barrel makers in the Detroit area, I would feel more comfortable dealing with machinist who are local. So I would be able to have a more hands on approach

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 06:05:52 AM »
I am in Rockford . Armorer77

Offline Brewort

Looking to buy a cannon
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 03:35:24 PM »
Rockford is a little distance from me I live in chesterfield 23 mile and I-94 area, do you have something similar or superior to the 1/3 Scale 6 Pounder Cannon   List at gray star technologies for a similar cost? Like I mentioned before I prefer to buy American and if possible a locally as possible?  Has anyone had any experience with this cannon? The size looks right for what I am trying to achieve? The description makes me nervous because it mentions Borg the hole yourself, or does it come bored already?  Also I read that if you have a cannon sleeved with a liner like gray star you need to have a liner protruding though th e casting to hinder corrosion.  There website does not get to specific. The guy in Rockford, what would be your cost for the same Size as gray stars, and what would be your specific specifications. 

Offline buzz36

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 03:44:26 PM »
ok  for the  liner question  they are talking about the vent hole you need have that sleeved so  no rust will develope be the cast iron and outside of the liner sleeve tube
check out hern i never bought one from them but might be something to look at
trust me do a lot of lookign befor you decide to buy

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 04:15:57 PM »
suggest you query greystar on this forum.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 04:30:44 PM »
I just did the query and this is the only thread that came up. I think thats strange because they seem like they have low prices.

Offline buzz36

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 05:35:42 PM »
same here nothing shows in the search i going to send an email to grey star and see if there prices are current soud like a fair price to me

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 02:12:19 AM »
Here is my 1841 , available in GB bore with a 1" powder chamber or a 1.25" straight bore .

This barrel is 4" at the breech and 21.5" long . Price is $400
I believe it was GLS who bought one of these in 1" because his Grey Star barrel cracked on his first shot . Ed

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 02:53:23 AM »
Armorer77 builds quality.  I have his large golf ball mortar, his GB Parrot and his pop-can mortar.  Both the mortars came complete with beds all ready to shoot and at very reaonable prices.

And if you want something more than a little pop gun, try one of his GB mortars or cannons and then cast wheel-weight metal balls for it (or buy steel "Foxballs" or RotoMetals zinc balls).  You will NOT be disappointed.The smoke, fire, boom and impact are all akin to the big stuff... unless you live where it rains a lot then the impact and its thrown up dust and dirt will not be as noticeable.

Good luck and I too add my welcome to the rest of those above.

GOW/George

Offline lthardman

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 03:37:33 AM »
Armorer77 builds quality.  I have his large golf ball mortar, his GB Parrot and his pop-can mortar.  Both the mortars came complete with beds all ready to shoot and at very reaonable prices.

And if you want something more than a little pop gun, try one of his GB mortars or cannons and then cast wheel-weight metal balls for it (or buy steel "Foxballs" or RotoMetals zinc balls).  You will NOT be disappointed.The smoke, fire, boom and impact are all akin to the big stuff... unless you live where it rains a lot then the impact and its thrown up dust and dirt will not be as noticeable.

Good luck and I too add my welcome to the rest of those above.

GOW/George

I have one of Armorer77's 1841, almost exactly as he pictured.  In fact it was that picture that caused me to order from him (HMR).  It shoots well, and Ed was very easy to work with. 

Offline GLS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 04:18:25 AM »
I am sure from my experience that when Grey Star says for ornimental use only belive it regardless of the photos on their site.  Armorer's barrel I replaced it with is my favorite.  Thought I would get this one barrel and satify my wants.  In just over a year I now have 16 cannon/mortars and saving up for Ed to make me another 1841 in 1.25" bore.
GLS