Author Topic: 22 tcm  (Read 1633 times)

Offline jamjennic

• Trade Count: (1)
22 tcm
« on: June 12, 2012, 02:37:27 PM »
is anyone loading the 22 tcm rounds. just rebuilt a set of .223 dies for the 22 tcm and am wondering what powder to try. am using the 35 gr. hornady bullet.

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 22 tcm
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 12:33:54 PM »
I'm not loading for it...yet. I'm hopeful it turns out to be everything the hype says it is. A 40 gr bullet at 2050'ps from a 1911 frame pistol is interesting. I hope you get some answers here as I'd like a heads up before getting in the game with one. With the penetration of the bullet, the 17 round clip capacity, and added range in a 1911 platform makes it an ideal hunter for me. Should have a reasonable cost to shoot too.

Offline jamjennic

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 04:11:17 PM »
did some testing today with some accurate no 9 i had . the factory rounds are running at 1980 fps from my gun, had no info for the round so i started low and worked up. looks like it takes around 1900 fps to cycle the pistol, got up to the 1950 to 1980 range and was getting less fps gain and more muzzle flash. recoil and presser signs at this level are same as factory loads. think i'll pick up something with a little faster burn rate and try again. 

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 04:22:52 PM »
Considering this is strictly a blowback design, the AA9 might just be the best yer gonna get. In my looking at it, all the factory ammo has a brilliant muzzle flash and may be desirable for the pressure curve to make the action fully cycle. But I'm interested in what you load and how it works for you. Here's a powder density chart if you don't have one.
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/VMD'S.pdf

Offline jamjennic

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 04:31:34 PM »
thanks for the chart did not have one. i'll post next time i do some more testing.

Offline jamjennic

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 03:51:53 AM »
well the wind quit blowing out here in western mn this morning long enuf  to let me do so acceracy tests with the 35 gr hornaday and aa no 9.   shooting at 50 yards with two differant powder charges and  cci small rifel primers both standerd and mag. also shot two gruops with the factory 40 gr. the factory loads are running 1960 fps and avereged 2" groups. the hand loads ran from 2040 to 2120 fps with the mag primers 40 fps slower than the standerd.  not sure why.  thought i had marked them wrong so loaded three more of each and shot two more groups with the same results. over all the groups averaged just over 2" the worst 3.25" and the last three shots with the standerd primers .800". the pistol has a burris fast fire III sight with the 3moa dot. all in all i am happy with the way the pistol shoots, still plan on trying some differant powders but not sure how much more to expect from a 5" 1911 pistol.