Author Topic: Artillery School  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Artillery School
« on: June 14, 2012, 04:09:08 AM »
Today June 14, 2012 my grandson, Jake Hartman, is graduating from U.S. Army basic training at Fort Benning, GA.  Next, he will attend Artillery School at Fort Sill, OK.  This is the same grandson who always enjoyed firing my black powder mortar and cannon when he visited us here in CO. Looks like grampa won't have to be buying the components for him to do his cannon firing now.
Isn't Fort Sill the same Arty school that our Cat Whisperer attended?
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Artillery School
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 04:15:49 AM »
Today June 14, 2012 my grandson, Jake Hartman, is graduating from U.S. Army basic training at Fort Benning, GA.  Next, he will attend Artillery School at Fort Sill, OK.  This is the same grandson who always enjoyed firing my black powder mortar and cannon when he visited us here in CO. Looks like grampa won't have to be buying the components for him to do his cannon firing now.
Isn't Fort Sill the same Arty school that our Cat Whisperer attended?
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000   

It has been the artillery school since at least the 1950s, when some fellow basic trainee grads went to artillery school there.
  They did that while i went off to tank school in Ft Knox, KY.. :D
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline threepdr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • Eras Gone Blog Spot
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 05:12:02 AM »
The Air Defense Artillery school has also moved from Fort Bliss to Fort Sill recently.  Both branches will be based at Sill now.  The post Museum at Fort Sill has an amazing artillery collection.
See my history and archaeology blog at:  http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 06:42:54 AM »
Even the Marines go there . Armorer77

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 10:23:30 PM »
Even the Marines go there . Armorer77
0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Lots of multi-branch cross-training going on these days;
   Armor &  Desert warfare at Camp Irwin, CA.. Iraqi town in Ft Polk, LA... Dogs at Lackland AFB, TX... Armorers at Aberdeen proving Ground, MD.  When my grandson trained as Spec Ops Marine at Camp Lejuene, NC a few years ago..these Spec Ops forces trained against each other..Army Special Forces, Navy SEALs, Marine Spec Ops and Army Rangers.
  Only makes sense, no need for duplication of efforts at many different places.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Legio3arty

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 11:28:11 PM »
Ironglow, when were you at Ft. Knox? My dad was there in the mid 50's and I was there in '85. (He was on M48s and I served on everything from 48A5s to M1A1 Block II Heavies) There are lots of interservice schools including tank school at Knox. The last school I went to was the BioMedical Equipment Repair Course at Fitzsimmons AMC in Denver. We had a couple of Navy Corpsmen but they both flunked out. They won't even let Marines touch anything medical. That course has long since moved down to Sheppard AFB and combined with the Air Force.

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 11:29:48 PM »
I don't know about these days , I was there in 77 . Armorer77

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 11:40:58 PM »
Ironglow, when were you at Ft. Knox? My dad was there in the mid 50's and I was there in '85. (He was on M48s and I served on everything from 48A5s to M1A1 Block II Heavies) There are lots of interservice schools including tank school at Knox. The last school I went to was the BioMedical Equipment Repair Course at Fitzsimmons AMC in Denver. We had a couple of Navy Corpsmen but they both flunked out. They won't even let Marines touch anything medical. That course has long since moved down to Sheppard AFB and combined with the Air Force.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I took basic at Ft Dix starting June 1955, then off to Ft Knox in late 1955..then to the 4th armored div in Ft hood..  M47s at Ft Knox..M48s at Ft Hood.
  I believe the Marines also take basic armored training at Ft Knox.  My grandson trained as armorer at Aberdeen PG, and took advanced gunsmithing courses on his own. The Marines have a barracks area of their own at Aberdeen. 
   fter 8 years in the Corps and 2 deployments as Spec Ops in Iraq, he is one of the many NCOs who chose not to stay with the new "politically correct" Corps and now is a civilian gunsmith.  His job is much like the "American guns" show on TV.   Needless to say, he loves his job.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 04:01:41 PM »
Blaster -

I was there (at the Comanche County Cannon Cocker College) from June through November of 1972.  (FA OCS).

Your grandson is likely taking an enlisted MOS course there.   (I've had several friends go through there, one from Vermont, while I was there.)

Thanks again to all you folks that paid your taxes in 1972 - I really enjoyed firing those 105's and 155's.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 10:39:55 AM »
Tim, the grandson indicated that Fort Benning was a very decent place but on his arrival at Ft. Sill, his actual remark was short and sweet - "This place is a dump". I guess the space normally used by three guys is now being occupied by six (6) guys with no AC which should be dang toasty in the typical Oklahoma humidity/heat during July and August.  Also, they apparently have no lockers - does that sound right?
Anyhow, he'll be learning about artillery now.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 12:35:57 PM »
Tim, the grandson indicated that Fort Benning was a very decent place but on his arrival at Ft. Sill, his actual remark was short and sweet - "This place is a dump". I guess the space normally used by three guys is now being occupied by six (6) guys with no AC which should be dang toasty in the typical Oklahoma humidity/heat during July and August.  Also, they apparently have no lockers - does that sound right?
Anyhow, he'll be learning about artillery now.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When we first arrived at Ft Knox in late 1955, we were housed in a "tent city"..near the tank park. We stayed through some of the winter of 55-56 in those squad tents..didn't get real barracks until just prior to graduation.
     Kentucky winters can be cold...when you live in a tent.. ;)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 02:57:37 PM »
Bob -
I was there in 1972.  LOTS has changed since I was there.  "Peacetime Army"

Is it right.  He's likely correct.  I have a neighbor/friend who was there and is now in Iraq.  (I keep his lawn mowed in his absence.) 

It's hot there in the summer and COLD in the winter.  (that's why I requested June-Nov for OCS - not much fun doing pushups in the snow, but heat means 105dF and relaxed training)

Lots less troops means lots less $ for the post (Vietnam era vs now).

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 03:31:48 AM »
  I don't know when it changed, but when i was there in 1955 ( brown boot Army), the entire post was heated with soft coal. So when it was fire season, the whole post reeked with soft coal smoke.
   Nowdays, when I light my forge (soft coal) pictures of those days at Ft Knox..flood my consciousness..

See below, a pic of myself @18..and at ft Knox ca 1955.. 
   For historical interest, my grandson in Al Anbar province in 2005...50 years of history.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 05:28:41 AM »
Grandkids!!! They sure can make you feel old and proud in the same breath.  My Grand daughter will be 18 in 4 months. Her mother must be really old!

She will be here this summer.  She wants to go shoot gophers and cannons.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 11:55:39 AM »
Grandkids!!! They sure can make you feel old and proud in the same breath.  My Grand daughter will be 18 in 4 months. Her mother must be really old!

She will be here this summer.  She wants to go shoot gophers and cannons.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Enjoy her as much as you possibly can...here's where Gramps can pass his "heritage" and memories to a beloved grandaughter.
  I am the main one to pass the shooting heritage to my grandson (mentioned above).. now his gunsmithing/shooting experience far surpasses mine..makes me smile.. :)

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 04:46:40 AM »

My grandson trained as armorer at Aberdeen PG, and took advanced gunsmithing courses on his own.

I joined the U.S. Army in June of 1955 and was "promised" in writing that I'd attend the Small Arms Repair School at Aberdeen PG.  I did attend and graduated from that school, MOS 421.10 and loved the training at APG. Wish I had paid more interest in the great military museum while I was stationed there. Hey, it was great experience/training!!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 08:04:23 AM »

My grandson trained as armorer at Aberdeen PG, and took advanced gunsmithing courses on his own.

I joined the U.S. Army in June of 1955 and was "promised" in writing that I'd attend the Small Arms Repair School at Aberdeen PG.  I did attend and graduated from that school, MOS 421.10 and loved the training at APG. Wish I had paid more interest in the great military museum while I was stationed there. Hey, it was great experience/training!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Blaster;
     An interesting sidebar.. While my grandson was training at Aberdeen PG, My #2 grandson, my Marine grandson's Fiance and I went down to visit him.
   In the afternoon, giving the two of them time together..#2 grandson an I went down to the museum. There are about 25 acres of vehicles, artillery and armor from all modern eras parked side by side a few feet apart.  We spent some good time outside, then went inside..where the small arms and etc are on display.
    I was walking around with my grandson on the second floor balcony, explaining some small arms and just got to the French section and was explaining the difficulties of the French Chauchat machine gun, when a fellow emerged from his first floor office, and came up to join us.  I recognized him immediately and found him to be a friendly, congenial fellow..liked him right away.
   This man was Dr Atwater..a veritable encyclopedia on weapons.  Perhaps you have seen him on the History Channel:

http://www.goordnance.army.mil/hof/2000/2008/atwater.html

The museum;
   http://www.google.com/search?q=aberdeen+proving+ground+museum&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=vB_iT6LmD8Ti0QGAq_z8Aw&sqi=2&ved=0CG0QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=618

Incidently, Dr Atwater heard my assessments of French small arms ...and agreed with me..

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 02:45:02 PM »
Well Ironglow, those pictures of all that heavy equipment were really impressive.  Since it was 57 years ago that I attended school at APG, the only biggie that I can remember is the atomic cannon that was on display back then.  I do believe there is still one of the atomic cannons still located at Fort Riley, KS where I was assigned after the small arms school.  Of course, I was assigned to Ordnance Supply as a cost accountant which was a very decent job.  Boy, now I look back and think of all the "stuff" that I had access to in all those parts bins.  Guess I just didn't want to get involved in any "midnight requisiting".  Thanks!