Author Topic: Need spotting scope advice  (Read 752 times)

Offline qswdef

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Avid Poster
Need spotting scope advice
« on: June 17, 2012, 08:39:15 AM »
These 70 year old eyes need help spotting .17 hmr-.22lr holes to 75 yards.  Rather buy decent used  than cheap new.  Don't mind the bucks but don't want to pay for what I don't need either.  Just want to know where bullet hits.  Don't need a Rembrandt of an image.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Re: Need spotting scope advice
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 10:19:45 AM »
To 75yds many good spotters may serve your needs.  I have a Burris that is 15 to 45x.  I can resolve 22 dia holes at 100m on 30 but I like 45 better.  At 45 it seems to be rather critical on focus and lighting conditions.
 You may also help yourself by using a target that is not black in its full diameter.  Try a heavy perimeter while leaving two to three inch diameter of the center white/tan. Your eyes wont have to work so hard to see the contrast.  You can still use heavy vertical and horizontal bars outside the circle which will help.  Lay the crosshairs on them.  rp

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 06:30:21 PM »
Have a target shooting club near your. One that shoots proper Bullseye comps and not just full of plinkers?

If so wander on down and ask what they are using and if you can try them out. Here in teh UK there are often those retiring, giving up or upgrading their equipment so there may be just what you need on offer. Surely worth the bit of time and it will probably be fun too.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 02:08:41 AM »
Bushnell makes a few decent spotters that should do the trick.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:03:51 AM »
FWIW, my early 1950's Bauch & Lomb Balscope has worked fine for me for many decades for everything from range work to long range hunting.   Still does even with old eyes.   It has a 35X eyepiece if I remember right.   Also have an early super heavy duty B&L tripod to use it on, but even collapsed it's too high to put on a bench - so just gets set up beside it.   These old scopes have exceptional glass, and can be found for sale for quite reasonable prices.

As Richard said, target choice is a factor with rimfires, especially the 17's.   So I've made my own targets on the computer for decades that are matched to the range, caliber and type of sights for ever firearm I have owned.   I have/had 17 caliber rigs that will shoot small ragged one hole groups at 100 yards, and seeing them clearly is not a problem well past 100 for me with this spotting scope.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline qswdef

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 06:44:28 PM »
Thanks everyone.  This is all really good information.

Offline KIMBER45

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 10:57:56 AM »
To 75yds many good spotters may serve your needs.  I have a Burris that is 15 to 45x.  I can resolve 22 dia holes at 100m on 30 but I like 45 better.  At 45 it seems to be rather critical on focus and lighting conditions.
 You may also help yourself by using a target that is not black in its full diameter.  Try a heavy perimeter while leaving two to three inch diameter of the center white/tan. Your eyes wont have to work so hard to see the contrast.  You can still use heavy vertical and horizontal bars outside the circle which will help.  Lay the crosshairs on them.  rp
I  also have the Burris . I find the optics quite good. I put a orange paste on target aprox 3 in diameter on the back side of wrapping paper. Cheap and you can see the holes very well.
"In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway."__Mother Theresa
-----------------
Not everyone will understand your journey. That"s fine. It's not their journey to make sense of. It's yours.
--------------------------------
Hawkeye: My father warned me about you...
Chingachgook, he warned me about people like you. He said "Do not try to understand them".
 "do not try to make them understand you. That is because they are a breed apart and make no sense".
-------

-------