Author Topic: Thunder Mug Question.  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Doc Brown.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Thunder Mug Question.
« on: June 18, 2012, 05:01:53 PM »
I want to make a thunder mug. Im going to use a piece of 4 inch diameter 1018 steel. Im going to put a 2 inch bore in it with a 2 inch breach wall. I was wondering if theres a proper length on this or would any length be fine?

Offline IvarForkbeard

• Avid Poster
  • Former US Navy BB stacker
Re: Thunder Mug Question.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 08:37:38 PM »
If you are going to put a 2" bore, then you are going to start with 6" stock. For every amount you take out, leave that much wall, so a 2" bore, means 2" walls, so 6" stock. I know these are "Cannon" specs, but YOU may only fire blanks, but what about the next person that owns it, will they over charge/over pack it and have a failure, and would you want to take that responsibility? If you are limited to an already existing piece of 4" stock you have, 1.33" will be your max safe bore.

Former US Navy, living in West Michigan

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 09:12:28 PM »
Assuming you have a lathe, taper it to lessen the weight.  You only need the 1:1 ratio where the powder is sitting and a little in front of that.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline josiah712

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 01:15:55 AM »
I have a machined aluminum thunder mug that purchased, not built.

The bore is 2'' by 4''.  It is 5'' long and has 1'' walls.
"It is when the people forget God, that tyrants forge their chains"

Patrick Henry

Offline IvarForkbeard

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 02:38:15 AM »
Because you bought it does NOT mean it is safe. What you have is a bomb waiting to happen. Aluminum WILL fail, especially if it is as thin in the walls as you describe. I recomend you cut that thing in half, or otherwise disable it and get one that will not endanger you and anyone within a 100' radius.

I have a machined aluminum thunder mug that purchased, not built.

The bore is 2'' by 4''.  It is 5'' long and has 1'' walls.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 03:03:36 AM »
josiah712,
I see you are new to the cannon forum, Welcome.  I wish you had come here before buying the "aluminum thunder mug".   Aluminum is not a suitable material for blackpowder cannon and the thickness is way less than current standards. 
Those of us who shoot cannons are very aware how accidents put us all in a bad light & try to gently educate new cannoneers in safe guns & practices.  It has been accurately observed that one must know beyond a shaddow of a doubt, that when you light the fuse you have a cannon & not a pipe bomb.  There have been accidents & some tragidies. 
We are not picking on you.  If you scroll back through the messages you'll find reports of accidents & the aftermath.  We want you to keep coming back...  in one piece!
Russ

Offline josiah712

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 07:20:55 AM »
OK, thanks for the heads up.  I will read over the posts about accidents.

The thunder mug that I have is on this page.  "2 inch Big Daddy":

http://www.pyrocreations.com/salute_cannons
"It is when the people forget God, that tyrants forge their chains"

Patrick Henry

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 09:12:22 AM »
Interesting , says it won't rust . Doesn't mention blowing up . Ed

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 09:46:15 AM »
  Those don't sound like the thunder mugs I recall.. ;)   :D   ;D   ;D
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline IvarForkbeard

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 10:45:34 AM »
Looking at the web site, nothing there is what I would call safe.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 11:34:25 AM »
Delete

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 01:37:25 PM »
Sounds like a "here hold my beer" moment.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 03:03:25 PM »
 >:(

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 03:24:36 PM »
Assuming you have a lathe, taper it to lessen the weight.  You only need the 1:1 ratio where the powder is sitting and a little in front of that.

Thanks for this info.

As for this aluminum thunder mug. Maybe its some kind of futuristic grade of aluminum that nobody knows about yet.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 05:28:39 PM »
Or you can bore it out even more to reduce the weight and increase the internal volume and use it for your favorite beverage (as mentioned in the South Bend Replicas catalog but not their website.)
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 04:34:27 AM »
I consider this one plenty safe to fire.  It was made by Dominic and is a heavy little thing (about 25#).  The bore is golf ball size but I'm not saying that I'll be firing it with a golf ball as a projectile.  The 4th of July holiday is just around the corner and I'll be firing it off on that day to easily wake up ALL the neighborhood hounds.

Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline IvarForkbeard

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 11:03:57 AM »

This one I made also falls into safe category. 1" bore in 3.25" stock, 5.5" into a 7" piece, base plate plug welded on.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »

This one I made also falls into safe category. 1" bore in 3.25" stock, 5.5" into a 7" piece, base plate plug welded on.

I have been on the ropes about the base plate but Im going to do it because it seems like it would make the thunder mug much safer. It would suck if the thunder mug fell over after you lit it. It appears that there are holes in the plate to drive spikes into the ground. Im going to weld my plate on and put the holes in the plate.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 12:16:10 PM »
I consider this one plenty safe to fire.  It was made by Dominic and is a heavy little thing (about 25#).  The bore is golf ball size but I'm not saying that I'll be firing it with a golf ball as a projectile.  The 4th of July holiday is just around the corner and I'll be firing it off on that day to easily wake up ALL the neighborhood hounds.

Blaster,
That looks real nice!  It must be fun to shoot!
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline IvarForkbeard

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 12:24:31 PM »

I have been on the ropes about the base plate but Im going to do it because it seems like it would make the thunder mug much safer. It would suck if the thunder mug fell over after you lit it. It appears that there are holes in the plate to drive spikes into the ground. Im going to weld my plate on and put the holes in the plate.

Or nail/bolt to a board for maximum stability.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 12:36:42 PM »
I once witnessed a commercial fireworks launcher fallover & continued to launch horizontally spraying flaming balls through the crowd (think ladies in lawn chairs & kids in strollers)  & into a neighbor's yard...  setting leaves in fire against their deck.  All the quick thinking men rushed over & were able to stomp it out...  a very close call.  Scared the crap out of everyone.  Proceedure changed drastically the following year. 
Really don't want to have a cannon or thunder mug or whatever go adrift after the fuse is lit...

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 01:41:13 PM »
I once witnessed a commercial fireworks launcher fallover & continued to launch horizontally spraying flaming balls through the crowd (think ladies in lawn chairs & kids in strollers)  & into a neighbor's yard...  setting leaves in fire against their deck.  All the quick thinking men rushed over & were able to stomp it out...  a very close call.  Scared the crap out of everyone.  Proceedure changed drastically the following year. 
Really don't want to have a cannon or thunder mug or whatever go adrift after the fuse is lit...

A whole new meaning to "loose cannon".
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 02:07:05 PM »
As long as you aren't closing the bore with the thin sheet metal, you are OK.  But don't use a piece of thick wall tubing and close it with sheet metal or you will have a serious problem in the future.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline kidblackpowder

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 04:40:19 AM »

I want one similar to that... does he still make them?  Wonder what it would cost?

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 06:17:18 AM »
The pictured "mug" sure has a nice look to it.  I don't see it listed in his current offerings but he is approachable.  At least you know what you are getting.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 09:51:21 AM »
 :) Kidblackpowder, welcome to the forum!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 12:31:08 PM »
kidblackpowder, welcome to the group of really nice knowledgeable guys.  There is a wealth of info here on this web site.
Check out the "Black Powder Cannon Link List" up above and you will find Dominick Carpenter listed there.  I have bought three from him and his work is excellent and he is totally honest in dealing with and you can also contact him by phone.  I can not recommend anyone else since I have ONLY bought from him but I'm sure there are some other excellent fabricators also listed above.  Good luck and have some SAFE fun when firing the thunder mug when you finally do get one.  :)
Oh yeah, you can also check South Bend Replicas.  I have purchased stuff from them and they too are excellent to deal with.

Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 02:56:18 PM »

I want one similar to that... does he still make them?  Wonder what it would cost?

High Kid. If I was looking to buy a thunder mug this is the one I would want to buy as well. Its the best looking one I have seen and the handle is a very nice addition. I haven't seen this kind of craftsmanship on flea bay Gun Joker or the web.

Offline keith44

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 04:16:58 PM »
Looks like Dom is advertising thunder mugs

click here :  [size=78%]http://www.blackpowder-cannons.com/[/size]

and scroll down to the "NEW INVENTORY COMING SOON" section.  Price is right, and it looks well built (as does all his stuff)  give him a shout he is easy to talk with.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 05:03:19 PM »

My thunder mug finished pic.
Thanks for all the tips.