Author Topic: .38 Special Wadcutter Autoloader??  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Don45

• Trade Count: (0)
.38 Special Wadcutter Autoloader??
« on: February 03, 2004, 10:08:27 AM »
Hello
I know that in the past Smith & Wesson has made a model 52 pistol that shoots .38 Special wadcutters, and I was wondering if there was any other manufactuer that was making one now?
Thanks for anything that you can post.

Don

Offline JOE MACK

• Avid Poster
.38WC semi-auto
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 01:43:34 PM »
While not production, Clark Custom Guns was well known for their .38 WC bullseye conversions. I believe they still make them.
JOE MACK aka Brian aka .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

Offline redial

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 02:17:27 PM »
Long ago there were 1911's in 38 AMU caliber to be seen on firing lines but that has long passed. The AMU was the 38 Spl with the rim turned off.

Only Clark, like Joe Mack said, would likely even consider such a project anymore I'm guessing.

Just curious - why would you want one?

Redial

Offline Don45

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 04:18:44 PM »
Hello and thanks for the replies.
I have heard a few guys talk about the S&W model 52 and they really liked it and said that it was a good target shooter.  One guy found a used one and bought it a couple of years ago because he had had one in the past and had sold it, then regretted it ever since because it was such a great gun.  I know that to get a 52 you have to find it used because they quit making them so I was wondering if any other manufacturer was making one currently.
I guess the reason(other than it just being a gun) that I am interested in one is because of what I have heard about the gun.  I was just wondering if I might have the option of getting a new one made by someone else, without having to find a used one.

Don

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
38 spl wadcutter autos
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 03:56:33 AM »
Don45:  a buncha years ago I picked up a 1911 barrelled for 38 spl wadcutters - it was an Army Match pistol.  It started life as a 38 Super and they (the Army Marksmanship Unit) installed a 38 Spl bbl and shot wadcutters through it.  I still have the pistol and bbl but converted it back to 38 Super.  She shoots the 38 Super and 9x23 incredibly accurately from the Bar-Sto barrel I installed and still shoots the 38 wadcutters into a cloverleaf at 25 yds.  

I think the Army just made do with whatever they could get, and the 1911 was plentiful enough to use the 38 Supers with 38 spl bbls.  I never did see a Smith Model 52 on an Army range but heard they were very nice pistols.  I think both the Smith and the 1911 in 38 Spl command premium prices these days so you would have to shop around for the best deal.  Good luck on ya and please let us know how you fared in your search.  Mikey.