Author Topic: I'm out of left ajustment  (Read 911 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
I'm out of left ajustment
« on: June 20, 2012, 05:04:45 AM »
Got a problem guys , I'm out of left ajustment on my Stevens 200 , got the knob turned all the way down and am still hitting about 3" to the right @ 100y , running the factory base's and Weaver Grand Slam steel rings .

Whats my fix here ? I never had one this bad .  :-[

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: I'm out of left ajustment
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 05:31:35 AM »
Adjustable base if you can get one.  You might also try rotating the scope left 90deg. and use the elevation for windage, etc.  I've got an old 22 I use this way.  Do you think it's the mount or the scope?  If the mount is drilled that far off, it should be visible looking down the barrel.  Bummer!

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 06:01:29 AM »
Get a Redfield/Leoupold type base.  Center your scopes adjustments, then mount to the base and look down the bore to set the windate with the base adjustments.  This should give you max adjustment in either direction and may improve the scopes site image as well.

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 07:22:18 AM »
No-cost McGyver solution might be to shim the back ring to one side; Foil, or a single piece of wire from a lamp cord stuffed in the crotch of the V on the fixed side of the ring should move it over. Something around 0.03-0.06" thick should get you close. Might have to flip the rings to get it going the right way. (Flipping the rings around may get you there anyway.)

Looking down the bore always gets me on paper at 25 without a trip to the range.

There's always windage-adjustable rings.
Is that tip-off width or regular width?
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 08:33:40 AM »
Burris Signature rings.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Huffmanite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 09:49:57 AM »
had a similiar problem once....solved it with a set of millet rings that are windage adjustable on both rings.

Offline wmdron

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 09:53:40 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum, my first post to be exact. I Hope I'm not breaking any protocols by jumping right in there without a formal intro. I had the same problem, (running out of windage adjustment) on a Remington 700. You can of course use Leupold/Redfield bases.  I have to agree with Bill, the best solution is  Burris signature Zee Rings. You may have to order additional offset inserts if what comes with the rings won't get you where you need to be. These rings solved my problem, and it was as bad as yours. Best of luck, Ron...

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 11:48:43 AM »
wmdron, welcome to GBO. I agree with the Burris Signature Zee rings. I've got them on a rifle and they work. Stimpylu, you need the 3 offset insert kit for the rings so order them when you order the rings. Medium is the lowest rings in the Signature line.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 12:58:12 PM »
Easy enough to find and cure by the process of elimination.   The procedure I'd follow since you only know you have an unknown problem at this point... start from scratch.

Cheap firearms by default are more likely to leave a manufacturer with manufacturing defects or errors, but any new firearm can have them, as can any used firearm.   So the firearm itself could be the cause... misaligned bore, crown problem, sight mounting holes, etc.   So the first thing I'd check is the firearm itself for problems.   Check bore alignment to action, chamber/lead alignment, make sure there are no machining flaws in the barrels lands/grooves, the crown is concentric with no burrs, etc, and that the sight/scope base mounting holes in the action are drilled aligned with the bore.   I'd also make sure the barrel does not have pressure/alignment problems being caused by the stock.

Once all appears to be OK withthe rifle itself, mount desired scope base, making sure it too is drilled/notched/etc aligned with itself and the mounting screws are short enough to tighten and seat it to full contact to the action.   That should eliminate the base.

Install rings.   Personally I prefer windage rear rings, or Burris Zee rings, but there is nothing wrong with dove tails or rail mount rings either if you prefer them.  Lap scope rings if not Zee's for at least 80% contact to scope tube.

Adjust scopes ocular lens to your eyes, adjust objective if scope has it to what will be your test range, put scope on lowest magnification if a variable and center the scope reticle's in the scope.

Mount the scope, making sure all is secure and aligned with the bore if with Zee rings.   Bore sight the scope, with a bore sighter best choice, or looking through the bore if it's all you have to approximate the reticle's centered to the bore... by moving the rear ring if windage or shim rings rear and front if Zee rings, and with the scopes elevation only adjustment if necessary (or you can shim for elevation to keep all of scopes adjustment).   That done you will still have the maximum windage and elevation adjustment of the scope itself available to fine tune to ammo at the range.

Will get you closer to being spot on by simple elimination of possible causes, but still leaves the possibility of the ammo and shooting technique to deal with.

FWIW, this has been pretty much my standard procedure for every new to me firearm I've owned for many decades, rifle or handgun, new or used, and I've never had a scope bottom out.   I never had to shim a scope either except... I have had some rigs for extreme long range I did have to shim or use special staged rings on to get enough elevation to still have some available in the scope itself to fine tune to its ballistics.     

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 02:37:50 PM »
Looks like I'm ordering a set of Burris rings  ;D  I had considered just shimming the ones that I have , its just not my style .  8)

Thanks a bunch guys !  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 09:27:49 PM »
had the same problem stimpy might check to see if the rings are both clamped on the base mount right.seams silly but i did it thought i had a bad scope :o good luck buddy.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 01:27:52 AM »
ratdog

Thats the first thing I checked , ran into that on my boys AR , one clamp was not seated properly .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 01:40:43 AM »
Well I would strip down the set up remove bases and rings and look to see if anything is off centre holes etc. Examine holes in receiver and see if they appear to be central and inline with the  bore then if all seems OK putt eh bases back on carefully then mount the scope and test with a collimeter to see if it all lines up.

If that looks good adjust scope to collimeter and take it for a test drive.

This shouls trace any alignment problems.

Offline mcserpent

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 01:26:39 PM »
I had the same problem last year on a Savage in 17hmr.I suspected the base holes where off center and  rather than deal with shipping the  rifle back , I tried Burris signature ZEE RINGS.Come to find out the offset inserts where not needed after all. The misalignment was caused by  the defective weaver GS rings. I had used them in the past with good results and where impressed by their sturdiness.Looks like they have quality control issues.