Author Topic: 17 Hornet  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Poppy93

• Trade Count: (1)
17 Hornet
« on: June 20, 2012, 12:46:13 PM »
Could someone ask H&R if they have any plans for a 17 Hornet? Either rifle or acc. barrel.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
Re: 17 Hornet
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 12:48:22 PM »
you can, jus PM brian56..........an wisha way ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
    • EastOutfitters
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 03:29:12 AM »
Good use for a .17hm2 barrel.  ;)
"skin that 'en out and I'll get ye nother"

Offline dorothy daily

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 03:45:27 AM »
17 hmr, is what i used to make a 17 khornet. less material to remove and 17m2 is desired, as it is no longer available.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 04:09:59 AM »

Please don't destroy such a barrel... :o

I have yet to see one that was not wonderfully accurate. Ammo is avaliable and inexpensive. Not to mention the caliber is NOT avail or anylonger.

Use a 17HMR and save the M2. OR sell to someone who will appreciate it and use the $$ to buy a HMR barrel.

I have a 17 Hornet, I made it from a 17 HMR barrel and it's a great shooter!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
    • EastOutfitters
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 07:15:40 AM »
Oh,oopps! Use the .17hmr barrel, did'nt mean to stir up a Hornet's nest. Did intend the pun. ;D
"skin that 'en out and I'll get ye nother"

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 08:03:17 AM »

I don't know, but I saw an ad for it in "Rifle" magazine when my son got me a copy of it for part of my father's day and the first thing I thought was HANDI RIFLE.  It sounds like a match made in heaven. I wonder why it didn't come out at the shot show?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 03:24:58 AM »
Oh,oopps! Use the .17hmr barrel, did'nt mean to stir up a Hornet's nest. Did intend the pun. ;D

No worries!!!

I'm just a lil protective of our littlest 17 I guess. ;)
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline SEK_22Hornet

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 02:34:18 AM »
I'd be in line for a 17 Hornet barrel - I really want to play with one and I agree that the Handi is perfect - I called H&R right after it was introduced and was told that they have no plans for this caliber and the guy said that if Remington didn't make ammo for it, it wouldn't happen - pretty much his exact words. If we want one, we probably need to make sure Remington/H&R knows there is a market for it, or hope that a distributor like Talo who has the buying power to make it happen is interested. So far, only Savage has agreed to produce rifles, although, i talked to a dealer who said his CZ rep had the opportunity to shoot a couple hundred rounds through a CZ 527 that CZ was thinking about bringing to market. Anyone interested in going together to get a reamer for the group?  Then I'd have to find a 17HMR barrel...... 

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 08:16:18 AM »
me an j2 turned mine and his into a 17 rem fireball after i kept getting inconsistent propellant charges
in each batch, from tha major big 3.........back in tha ammo shortage bout 4 years ago........remember ::)

now i have complete control of tha performance.  and its much better than my todays hm2
by far........75yrd, no groups... 1 big ragged hole.  and i like it like that !!!!
never have regreted putt'n tha 17hm2 under tha doc & son.................. ;D 8) ;D ;)

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 01:56:27 PM »

So it's not good enough that Hornady is making ammo for it? It has to be Remington as well?

Oh well, I  have one CZ, what's one more?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline SEK_22Hornet

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 04:05:35 AM »
I think the comment about Remington having to make ammo for it Kinda says that they don't feel like supporting some other competitive Ammo maker by supplying guns for ammunition that they don't make.  Ruger, CZ and Savage don't make any ammo, so they don't have any marketing conflicts with another division, like Remington seems to.   I sent emails to Remington (H&R), Ruger, and CZ today asking about 17 Hornet rifles and asking about an accessory barrel for the H&R. I'll pass along the responses I get (if any).

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 12:50:25 PM »
You need to keep in mind the whole H&R line is like the red headed step child for Remington.

I mean just look at the misinformation that continues to come out of Illion when anyone calls CS looking for information? All the problems with repairs as well as the problems with barrels... If they really put in a conserved effort these things never would have happened. The ONLY answer I can see is H£R line is OK if it runs itself meaning not allot of effort or $$ put in for the big green.

You watch, there will be no loss leaders in the H&R line... I doubt we will see ANY new calibers offered and any caliber that doesn't sell will also be on the chopping block.
CW

NRA LIFE Member